bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help understanding Tim 3:16  (Read 6632 times)

winner08

help understanding Tim 3:16
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:22:44 PM »

Hello my friends, I'll get right  to the point. What exactly does 2Tim3:16 mean.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God (I know what this part means). and is profitable for doctrine for reproof for correction for instruction in righteousness."profitable" does this mean good for doctrine? now here is where I get a little lost. reproof for correction for instruction in righteousness.

Any and all help is welcome.

Darren

Richard D

Re: help understanding Tim 3:16
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »

Winner 08

To me it means I can find everything for my life in the word of God, I just need older brothers and sisters to help me understand what I’m reading.

I hope this helps you but what does a newbie really know. LOL
May god have Mercy on us all. Amen  :)

joyful1

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »

Hi Darren!  :D
The modern translation of the old English word 'profit' is 'advantage.'
http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/oeme_dictionaries.htm

The modern translation of the Middle English word 'reproof' is 'rebuke.'
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reproof

2 Timothy 3:16 (New International Version)
16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:16 (Young's Literal Translation)
16every Writing God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:16 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:16 (New Living Translation)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

Hope this helps?
Joyce :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:22:04 PM by joyful1 »

winner08

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:15:50 AM »

Joyce the new living translation was great I totaly understand now thanks.

Maby you can help me on my other thread in this section. I am trying to prove through scripture but it will take me forever and I mean a very long time to fine the scripture I need to prove these thing to my friend.

Darren

WhoAmI

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »

Hey Darren,

Don't get discouraged, you can actually teach yourself a lot by doing what your doing. You get questions and talk with people and you go and search it out, your going to learn a lot in the process. You do this enough you may have the whole Bible memorized!  ;)

Peace,
Jeff

Heidi

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »

Hi Darren,

The Concordent Literal translates the verse as follows:"All scripture is inspired by God, and is beneficial for teaching, for exposure, for correction, for discipline in righteousness"

To me the word beneficial has more meaning than the word profitable

–adjective 1. conferring benefit; advantageous; helpful: the beneficial effect of sunshine. 
2. Law. a. helpful in the meeting of needs: a beneficial association. 
b. involving the personal enjoyment of proceeds: a beneficial owner. 

So the Word of God is personally advantageos, involving personal enjoyment.

It is a Living Word

Love
Heidi

JeffH

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »

To me it means I can find everything for my life in the word of God

Richard,

This is something that still amazes me.  Sometimes I wonder if God's Word is similar to DNA.  It contains "everything" and then some.  On one level (standing way back) it's very simple and easy to read, but grab a microscope and we find wonders that we never could have imagined on our own.

Jeff

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:19:59 AM »

Darren--
I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can....which thread are you talking about?
Joyce :)

winner08

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 02:42:53 AM »

Thanks Joyce. I found a few scriptures that prove what I was saying to this guy I know. He wanted me to prove to him through scripture that God is omniscient, and God influences all our choices. I told him that God creates our circumstances and we make our own choice according to those circumstances.

I have been speaking with  people about my beliefs and they have there beliefs in the man made christian doctrains. Just like we did at one time. But I have to tell you when I read or hear their beliefs it, well I don't know. Anyway if you come up with any straight to the point of God knowing all and God influence on our lives I will be glade to have it.

Thanks again Joyce.

Darren

WhoAmI

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 04:13:28 AM »

To me it means I can find everything for my life in the word of God

Richard,

This is something that still amazes me.  Sometimes I wonder if God's Word is similar to DNA.  It contains "everything" and then some.  On one level (standing way back) it's very simple and easy to read, but grab a microscope and we find wonders that we never could have imagined on our own.

Jeff

I get you on this. It has layers and depths to it for sure it seems.

Jeff

mharrell08

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »

Thanks Joyce. I found a few scriptures that prove what I was saying to this guy I know. He wanted me to prove to him through scripture that God is omniscient, and God influences all our choices. I told him that God creates our circumstances and we make our own choice according to those circumstances.

I have been speaking with  people about my beliefs and they have there beliefs in the man made christian doctrains. Just like we did at one time. But I have to tell you when I read or hear their beliefs it, well I don't know. Anyway if you come up with any straight to the point of God knowing all and God influence on our lives I will be glade to have it.

Thanks again Joyce.

Darren

Eph 1:11  In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

Col 1:16  For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Rom 11:36  For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen

Phil 2:13  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure

Hope this helps,

Marques

joyful1

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »

Great verses, Marques, you beat me to it!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.