bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rational vs Irrational Fear in a OCD mind  (Read 6121 times)

youthfortruth

Rational vs Irrational Fear in a OCD mind
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:49:06 AM »

Ah the sudden, comforting feeling of thinking that engaging in ritualistic behavior is the most effective solution in lowering anxiety. As the water would flow down my sud coated hands, relief was instant, but regret was inevitable. Over the course of time, my compulsive mind would tighten its grip, leaving my mental state in a battered, critical condition.

When would it end??

Well eventually it did, but let me share with you one analogy of how an OCD mind is cleverly deceived and falsely reassured.

In the midst of a convenient store robbery, customers panic, clerks cooperate, and crooks aim their weapons at the employees in a threatening manner. Naturally, the clerks are nervous as can be, but still understand the possible life ending consequences if they fail to comply. I can only imagine the scary sight, looking down the barrel of a gun, knowing it could go off at any second.

As the robbers attempt to flee the scene, police surround the building, and the suspects are quickly arrested. While being searched, police notice that the gun used was empty the whole time.

Imagine that. A terrifying moment, an unloaded gun, and ultimately a memory that’ll probably stay etched in the clerk’s mind for some time.

I’m going to use this very scenario in illustrating the difficulty of distinguishing rational and irrational fears in an OCD mind. The clerk will be me, The OCD will be the crook, and the consequence for resisting the urge to ritualize will be the gun. Only this time I KNOW that the gun cannot hurt me.

As I begin to go about my day, my OCD kicks in. OCD holds me at gun point saying:

“Wash your hands or else I’ll shoot!!”

Despite the threats, I somehow can tell that the ammo in this weapon is by no means life threatening. In fact, I immediately see the lack of harm this gun can inflict on me. It’s just cap gun ammo. Yet, my hands still tremble; my heart still pounds, and I succumb.

Why? Why would you do such a thing? You know your going to be fine. You know NOTHING of serious nature will happen. Why give in?

Well it just so happens that the gun is a .357 Magnum with cap ammo loaded in it. I know the gun is harmless, I know the crook cannot hurt me, but on the basis I see a .357 magnum and not a cap gun, my mind tells me otherwise. You see, it’s not the fact that I know the bullets inside the gun are harmless, I’m well aware if that. But the fact that these bullets are in a gun guaranteed to be harmful if loaded with the proper ammunition. I know in the back of my head when I resist urges to give in, the gun may go off, I won't see bruises and I won’t see blood. However, the noise will scare me and the appearance of the gun will make it look so genuine, so scary, so convincing, that this gun may in fact have a real bullet in it. Thus, I must surrender. Or at least that's what I thought at the time.. :o

I know this analogy may seem a little too far fetched, but I hope it's understandable and I assure you it’s accurate!!

-Andrew

WhoAmI

Re: Rational vs Irrational Fear in a OCD mind
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:59:11 AM »

You are understood by many. I'm happy you feel free to share and are not ashamed. Continue to keep up the good work.

Jeff

Longhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »

Andrew

That was very interesting, but it gave my brain a buttache.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »

Andrew

That was very interesting, but it gave my brain a buttache.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Now that is a quote I can remember and relate to.

Thanks, Longhorn, Indiana bob

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

Thanks for sharing Andrew,
I have a friend with OCD, its such a fascinating condition.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.