bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tax collector  (Read 5993 times)

Martinez

Tax collector
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:37 AM »

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering, could someone give me a spiritual interpretation for tax collector please?

mharrell08

Re: Tax collector
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:05 AM »

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering, could someone give me a spiritual interpretation for tax collector please?

Is there a particular scripture you are referring to or just the occupation itself?

Martinez

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »

In the scriptures when you read "fowls of the air" you're really reading "evil spirits"
When you read "sheep" you're actually reading "follows of Christ" etc, etc.

So what I'm after is the interpretation for the meaning of tax collector or republican.

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:37:08 AM »

;D ;D
Not republican ...publican   funny typo  maybe not so funny

G5057  τελώνης   telōnēs
Thayer Definition:
1) a renter or farmer of taxes   1a) among the Romans, usually a man of equestrian rank   2) a tax gatherer, collector of taxes or tolls, one employed by a publican or farmer general in the collection of taxes. The tax collectors were as a class, detested not only by the Jews, but by other nations also, both on account of their employment and of the harshness, greed, and deception, with which they did their job

They could ask for anything...Jesus told them to be fair.

Jesus only paid for Peter and his tax with the coins from the fish. He did it not to offend them and not because he thought it needed to be done. 

Matthew and Zaccheus were in lucrative business but they were held in high contempt by others

spiritually the publican where bottom of the barrell repenters in most cases, they are almost always referred to as "publicans and sinners" No one thought much of them

so the Pharisees and onlookers must have been shocked when Jesus commented

Mat 21:31  Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

and

Luk 18:11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Mat 11:19  The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But Wisdom is justified of her children.

In light of Rays Nashville lecture this last one has an interesting phrase

beloved
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:04:31 AM by Beloved »

Martinez

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »

;D ;D
Not republican ...publican   funny typo

beloved

LOL!

Sorry about that, I hope no one thinks I was taking a pot shot at republians!

LOL.

firefly77

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:48 AM »

;D  I absolutely loved it!  :D

WhoAmI

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:26 AM »

;D ;D

beloved

LOL!

LOL.

Hurry! Notify the mods!  ::)

aqrinc

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:56:07 AM »

Busted; 10 demerits and 100 lines.

LOL, Geo.  ;D

;D ;D

beloved

LOL!

LOL.

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »

;D ;D
Not republican ...publican   funny typo  maybe not so funny

G5057  τελώνης   telōnēs
Thayer Definition:
1) a renter or farmer of taxes   1a) among the Romans, usually a man of equestrian rank   2) a tax gatherer, collector of taxes or tolls, one employed by a publican or farmer general in the collection of taxes. The tax collectors were as a class, detested not only by the Jews, but by other nations also, both on account of their employment and of the harshness, greed, and deception, with which they did their job

They could ask for anything...Jesus told them to be fair.

Jesus only paid for Peter and his tax with the coins from the fish. He did it not to offend them and not because he thought it needed to be done. 

Matthew and Zaccheus were in lucrative business but they were held in high contempt by others

spiritually the publican where bottom of the barrell repenters in most cases, they are almost always referred to as "publicans and sinners" No one thought much of them

so the Pharisees and onlookers must have been shocked when Jesus commented

Mat 21:31  Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

and

Luk 18:11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Mat 11:19  The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But Wisdom is justified of her children.

In light of Rays Nashville lecture this last one has an interesting phrase

beloved

I think I know what you mean, but I might be wrong.
I usually am..... :-\
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.