bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sound Mind?  (Read 6601 times)

OBrenda

A Sound Mind?
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

II Timothy 1:7:
For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Does anyone else feel like this is something they haven't tasted yet?
Does this mean, you can come to a place where you will not doubt yourself?

Brenda

KristaD

Re: A Sound Mind?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

I think it is where we have complete faith in God and we don't worry or doubt or fear anything, but are in a constant state of trust and faith knowing that whatever happens is His will and the best thing for everyone. I sure don't have that :P.

Richard D

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »

Hi Brenda,

As you know, I’m new with all this truth. I’m learning new things everyday. I read in the bible that God has blessed us will all spiritual blessings but I’m thinking it’s going to take a lifetime to experience them all.

I believe my mind is becoming sounder with each truth I learn but sometimes I go into the kitchen and forget what I was looking for…..LOL   :)

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Brenda

Hello Brenda,

To me, a sound mind is one that is mindful of the spirit:

Rom 8:6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace

Acts 20:19  Serving the LORD with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews

Luke 12:29  And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind

Eph 4:29  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind

Phil 2:9  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus

And how do we get this mindset?

Heb 8:10  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Unlike the unbelievers who are:

James 1:8  A double minded man is unstable in all his ways

Acts: 14:2  But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren

Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient

Rom 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit

This is what we all are beginning to taste and/or tasting. We will always have doubts about ourselves if we look to ourselves for any kind of solution. When we look to Christ, all doubts are cast away. For we know it is not us [I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me...Gal 2:20] but Christ IN us.

It's a win-win situation...I like those odds.  ;D

Hope this helps,

Marques
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:25:37 PM by mharrell08 »

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »

Tasted yes, there now; definitely not. Praying and choosing the way out Through Christ; sometimes
after i foolishly try my solutions first. Coming to a place where i do not Doubt Christ is the daily walk
we all go through.

Geo.

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:51 PM »

i think marques' post was awesome. i also believe it is a mindset we develop when we are finally able to emulate the mind of Christ as opposed to the carnal mind. and like all good and wonderful things from our Father, it is a journey to get there, but that does not mean we cannot obtain it here on earth. i am beginning to learn that we MUST put off our old man ways/ideas and follow after Christ. only then can we truly have a sound mind.

claudia

p.s.  i am not at my own computer which has esword so i am not able to search the meanings of the word "sound".

WhoAmI

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

Brenda

I have tasted it. When I have been blessed to operate in it, it has tasted as this as well:

Php 4:7 and the peace of God, that is surpassing all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

Jeff

Kat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

Hi Marques,

When we look to Christ, all doubts are cast away. For we know it is not us [I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me...Gal 2:20] but Christ IN us.

I agree it is 'Christ IN us" that is that sound mind we need.

Php 2:5  Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
v.6  who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
v. 7  but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
v.8  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

This is a tall order for us to live up to... well of course we can not do it, it is the mind of Christ in us that does it  :) 

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »

"Sound Mind" from one Greek word, the only time it is used in the NT.  Here's a run down on the etymology in scripture, at least as far as Strong's takes it.

G4995
σωφρονισμός
sōphronismos
so-fron-is-mos'
From G4994; discipline, that is, self control: - sound mind.

G4994
σωφρονίζω
sōphronizō
so-fron-id'-zo
From G4998; to make of sound mind, that is, (figuratively) to discipline or correct: - teach to be sober.

G4998
σώφρων
sōphrōn
so'-frone
From the base of G4982 and that of G5424; safe (sound) in mind, that is, self controlled (moderate as to opinion or passion): - discreet, sober, temperate.

G4982
σώζω
sōzō
sode'-zo
From a primary word σῶς sōs̄ (contraction for the obsolete σάος saos, “safe”); to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.

G5424
φρήν
phrēn
frane
Probably from an obsolete φράω phraō (to rein in or curb; compare G5420); the midrif (as a partition of the body), that is, (figuratively and by implication of sympathy) the feelings (or sensitive nature; by extension [also in the plural] the mind or cognitive faculties): - understanding.

G5420
φράσσω
phrassō
fras'-so
Apparently a strengthened form of the base of G5424; to fence or inclose, that is, (specifically) to block up (figuratively to silence): - stop.

Sounds like a combination of thoughts and emotions.  Isn't that what the 'soul' is?  Isn't that what 'we' are?  I think all the scripture quoted relate very well to this.  

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

OBrenda

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »

I believe my mind is becoming sounder with each truth I learn but sometimes I go into the kitchen and forget what I was looking for…..LOL   :)

lol...I'm trying to remember why I started this post... ??? over 40 is scary ::)

The scriptures & coments that everyone posted were very helpful.
I keep coming back to this double minded statement.
I grew up with a very intellectual Father with a personality for teaching, and a Mother who was undervalued all her childhood, very sensitive and very stubborn.  I was always the one in the middle, my Dad would say to me after they would fight, your Mothers upset, go talk to her and make her feel better.

This is the role I've played all my life, even in my Job, I'm in between the Owner's and Employees.
One foot in one camp, and the other foot in the other camp. 
At times I don't know who I am. 
Like I'm just a empty space, that is trying to both protect & process these conflicts in to peace.

The closer I grow in these truths, the less I can sense of "Self"

Quote  Marques,
When we look to Christ, all doubts are cast away. For we know it is not us [I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me...Gal 2:20] but Christ IN us.

I agree it is 'Christ IN us" that is that sound mind we need.

Php 2:5  Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
v.6  who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
v. 7  but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
v.8  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

This is a tall order for us to live up to... well of course we can not do it, it is the mind of Christ in us that does it   
mercy, peace and love
Kat

From Dave
G4998
σώφρων
sōphrōn
so'-frone
From the base of G4982 and that of G5424; safe (sound) in mind, that is, self controlled (moderate as to opinion or passion): - discreet, sober, temperate.
  God's still workin on me in this area... ;)

You have all given me hope that as I die more,  I will have less fear and a singleness of mind (sound)

Looking to God's Wisom
Brenda

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »

Pro 29:11  A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
I love Proverbs!
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.