bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rev 20:10  (Read 4010 times)

galatians22067

Rev 20:10
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »

Rev 20:10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

I have just finished studying this word aion and it does not appear to mean eternal or for ever but in Rev 20:10 what is it actually saying in plain words. Here is the Youngs Literal translation:

Rev 20:10  and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night--to the ages of the age

Now I know it dosent mean eternally but it still seems to me in just this one verse that it is trying to depict eternity by saying age after age after age after age after age...............

Any corrections would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

hillsbororiver

Re: Rev 20:10
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

Hi Galations,

Your question actually goes much deeper than how a word in a verse is translated into English, first off what is the point of an "eternal" torture? Is God a sadist who derives pleasure in the unending suffering of billions of His children? Would we do this to our own children who disobeyed us? Are we more compassionate and loving than God?

Job 4:17  Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?

Here are a few articles that go into great detail explaining many of the implications your question begs;

http://bible-truths.com/aeonion.htm

http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html

Peace and happy reading!

Joe

Kat

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »

Hi Matt,

Interesting, I've not looked at the time length that Satan will be in the lake of Fire in this way.  But this did occur to me, how long does it say Christ will reign.

Rev 11:15  And the seventh messenger did sound, and there came great voices in the heaven, saying, `The kingdoms of the world did become those of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign to the ages of the ages!'

Again this phrase "ages of the ages."  This states that is the length of time Christ will reign.

1Co 15:25  For He must reign till (G891) He has put all enemies under His feet.

G891 - achri  achris
(of time) until or (of place) up to: - as far as, for, in (-to), till, (even, un-) to, until, while.

So what I'm seeing is that Satan will be in the lake of Fire until Christ has made all things subject to Him.  Maybe Satan is the very last thing that Christ brings in subjection to Him and then He delivers all things to the Father.

1Co 15:24  Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power.

1Co 15:28  Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

galatians22067

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »

Thank you so much for that post Kat.
That was the answer I was looking for.    :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.