bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doing "Good Works"  (Read 5856 times)

Douglas Wayne Thomas

Doing "Good Works"
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »

The Bible-Truths forum has shown me that "organized religion" is flawed and teaches everything diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught. Is there any way to do things that churches do without being involved with a church? Are any members of the forum feeding the homeless or visiting people in prison for example?

Can anyone give me some examples of how they are accomplishing doing the "Good Works" that give glory to God as written about in the following bible verse?

Matthew 5:13-16:

You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? ... You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid... Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

The Sermon on the Mount speaks of the response of those who are blessed. What is our responsibility? It tells us: ‘You are the salt of the earth, you are the light of the world’. All who are blessed are called to a responsibility. Christian discipleship, membership in the kingdom of God, is a great responsibility.

Or has this verse also been taken out of context and we as Christians are not really responsible for doing any good deeds for our fellow man? I am not being facetious here, I have some spare time occasionally and feel a sincere desire to help the less fortunate than myself. I just haven't read about anyone on the forum helping other people outside of the forum. I am not saying that good deeds are not being accomplished, I would just like to know how the membership of the forum walks the walk and not just talks the talk.

Seeking to do God's will always,

Doug

Kent

Re: Doing "Good Works"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »

If you are asking if there is any kind of organized effort, I can't say because I dont know.
But anytime things get organized, things go downhill fast. That has been my experience.
People start getting personal agendas and forget the reason for organizing in the first place.

In my line of work, I get approached a lot, by people that claim they need money.
I will not ususally give money, but I will buy for them what they claim they need. I keep the receipts. No refunds.

Sometimes I give them nothing. I don't know why I do that, but I do. There is no rhyme or reason why, that I can figure out, other than that is the way God wants it.

I will also give intangible help.

I also had some racist tendencies. No more. God took that away some time ago. Now I dont treat people based on their skin color or language. I walk the walk by treating people like people should be treated. I didn't always do that in the past.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:10:02 AM by Kent »

Richard D

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »

Hi Doug.

That’s a good question. However I think the question points to free will which we don’t have.

I know Ray does not charge for the word of God he teaches and BT does not charge to belong to the forum.

If a person gives anything to anyone, who is doing the giving? Is it God that gives through the person or does the person give without God pulling the strings if you will?

Or can a person do anything outside of God’s purpose. But if I give and tell you I gave then I have my reward already.

I learned with Ray’s papers no one does anything outside of God’s purpose although we go against His will.

So I sum it up like this, if God causes one to give they give if God causes one not to give they don’t give.

I wonder what would happen if God removed His Spirit from the world, would we not all kill each other? I believe human beings are totally depraved without God.

In His Love. Richard.

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 11:18:49 AM »

1 Cor. 15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God [laboured] which was with me.

Eph 2:8-10  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Hello Doug,

If you feel as though you have spare time to help those in a variety of ways, then go and do so. There is nothing wrong with that but why do you feel the need to know what everyone else is doing? What is your motivation: to compare yourself to others or to love one another as Christ loves us?

I count all the members here as doing good works by them fellowshipping with each other and lifting each other up. And members are not the only ones who read the forum; so there are many more people that any one of the members have helped someone in need with their words or pointing out scriptures.

The scriptures above speak about God doing the works through you which HE has ordained. Whatever He has ordained, we do. It is not an option as he inspires all of us to do what we do.

Hope this helps,

Marques

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »

So Far...

I'm trying to learn to hear what God would have me do.  It's my experience that just giving to win "brownie points" in heaven doesn't mean your helping.  In some situations to give money enables the other person to continue to act irresponsibly.  In the past I was prideful of my giving whether it was tithes or helping out a Friend. (don't let your right hand know what your left hand is doing)

I haven't read a specific teaching on this by Ray, but I think our "mission field" is whom ever God puts in our path.  And not to lean to our own understanding how to help.  Another sin I deal within myself, is thinking I know what the problem is, and how to fix it.  ::)

I'm still a work in progress.

Bless your heart you are open & willing to serve, he will lead you!
Brenda

Kat

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »

Hi Doug,

Is there any way to do things that churches do without being involved with a church?

Why limit it to the church?  Many organizations except volunteers that do "good works."  But I understand you were just probably just using them as an example you knew about.

All who are blessed are called to a responsibility. Christian discipleship, membership in the kingdom of God, is a great responsibility.

Or has this verse also been taken out of context and we as Christians are not really responsible for doing any good deeds for our fellow man?

Indeed we should do good deeds every chance we have.

James 2:14  What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?

James 3:13  Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good life let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.

2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Col 1:10  that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Tit 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.

1Ti 6:18  Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,

As you can see by these few verses the Scriptures are replete with admonitions towards "good works." 
I think God will provide opportunities for us to do good works and these opportunities will present themselves in different settings and in many different way.  But not necessarily in an organized endever set up as such.  Do we need to seek out the homeless or go into prisons or will there be many occasions throughout each day for opportunities to do good deeds.  As believers our lives are being judged everyday by how we show love to our fellow man.

2Co 5:10  For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »

"Can anyone give me some examples of how they are accomplishing doing the "Good Works" that give glory to God as written about in the following bible verse?"

There's the crux of the problem in answering.  It's a struggle to know how to 'verbally' answer the question that actually DOES give glory to God and not to ourselves.  

The scriptures you've referenced and many others set markers for us to compare ourselves to in our walk.  We can't claim to love God if we hate our brother, for example.  How God brings us to that point is something that may be shared.  But, especially given our desire to move out of false tradition and phariseeism, the specifics of 'what we do to glorify God' have to pass an additional filter of 'What we do privately, God will reward openly, but what we do publicly (if we're not careful) becomes it own reward'.

God knows all our secrets.  He also knows the motives of our hearts.  We know its our hearts that have to be changed.  Just as sin comes out of the heart, so will righteousness as our hearts are changed.  I desire more than anything to be genuine.  I want that more than being right.

With all that out of the way, Kat has the better answer.  We have to obey God in the way He gives us, and as He makes it possible at any one time.    

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

KristaD

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »

There are lots of people who need help and lots we can do to help other people. If you feel a call to help then do so, don't worry about what churches or other people are doing. Do what God tells you to do, you don't need any organization or group of people to be involved with your giving. Give from your heart, you obviously want to :), and don't let your right hand know what your left hand is doing, keep your giving a secret between you and God.

Stevernator

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »

Hey Doug,
There are opportunities out there with non-profits, homeless shelters, food aid etc. You can give blood, donate to an international aid agency (tax-deductible to be safe, see charitynavigator.org), drop off food or clothes at a donation center, mentor a toubled youth, etc. I don't measure up but here are some ideas to get you started. If you are near a major city then check that city out. And when you come accross a homeless person you can talk to them and ask them questions and show them some care rather than avoiding eye contact. Lots of people are frustrated about the world and feel helpless as what to do to help but there are ways.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

This scripture says to me that no matter what we do in life we must not harden our hearts to those who need help. I think to do this we need to be dying to our flesh.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:49:38 PM by Stevernator »

dewey

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

Hi, Doug

This is Dewey & Paula.  We read your post early this morning and Dewey wanted to post right then, but I wouldn't type for him - the time wasn't right.  I believe that you have asked a question that should not be answered by the members of this forum.  Do you really expect them to cast away their treasures that they have stashed in Heaven just so that they can show you how good they are?  HOW GOOD THEY ARE.  Do you get it?  I'm not trying to be insulting, Doug, but I don't believe that you've read the scriptures; and certainly not Ray's teachings.  There's a really good chance according to scripture that if we, not Christians, but followers of Christ, were to testify to you of the good things we've done our treasures would be canceled out in Heaven.  If Paula and I were to tell you all the good things that we have done (if we've done any), wouldn't that stand a really good chance of bragging on ourselves?  That might be all the glory we'd ever get.  So with that said, just imagine a zipper on our mouths. 

I beg you to read these scriptures:

(James 2:18) 

(Matthew 7:16)

(James 2:26)

(Ep 2:9)

(1 Cor 12:6)

(1 Timothy 6:20)

(Romans 11:6)

(Romans 9:32)

(John 6:28)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, Brother, here's the really big one.  (John 6:28)

And then they asked Jesus what must we do to do the works God requires?  (John 6:29)  Jesus answered, "The works of God is to believe in the one he sent".  (hallelujah)  What does that come down to, my Brother?  Faith and Grace.  You can't have it unless you pray for it. 

And now, then, last but not least, check out the post that Richard D. just sent and you'll see an example of faith and works and good deeds and trust and love.

Love 'ya, Brother

Dewey & Paula

goin' out on a limb for Jesus - 'cause that's where the fruit's at

Oh, by the way, Dave in TN = there is no best answer for this - it should have never been asked; and for saying that, I apologize.  If there were a best answer, it would have to go to Roger.  Think about it and read the scriptures that Roger sent you.  In the love of Jesus Christ, don't be afraid to tell us what you think 'cause we're praying for your understanding of what we just tried to say.

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

Hello To All, When, I came in here I had begged God for his Truths. God led me here. He led me to his truths by using Ray. This was no material thing, nothing money can buy. What did I end up with,Truth. I am a prisoner set free from the world. Also, I have fellowship on here and feel closer to more of you then I ever did in the organzied churches. The greatest gift is I have learned spiritual things of God. No value of money could ever give me the joy and trust I have in Christ now.  I now have all  I need in Christ.
Amen
Marlene

gmik

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »

Whoa there pardners!!!  Don't be so Uber-spiritual! (thanks Dave!).  Doug was just asking folks.

What Do we do????  I liked some of the suggestions- thats all he wanted.  Is someone tooting their own horn to help a brother out????  Doug you got lots of suggestions.

But "doing" has got to be w/ the Lords leading or it is just "doing". On the other hand, do we really need guidance to help someone when we have the ability to help??

I have been out of Christendom for over 3 years.  I am not the same now as I was then.  3 years ago I was "shell shocked" over Ray's papers.  I still felt "churchy" in many ways (well after 35 years you would wouldn't you).  I went thru the needing an outlet phase. Wondering what to do about fellowship, $$ now that we didn't tithe, and  potlucks!!!

Doug, I am going to PM you w/ some ideas.  I believe it was a good question and can be answered!!! 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.