bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proof beyone the Bible.  (Read 5881 times)

winner08

Proof beyone the Bible.
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »

Listen I am not the smartest person in the room by far. I was speaking with some people about Jesus andone said that there's no proof that Jesus was even a real person. He said except for the bible and one or two mention from the historian Josephus there is no proof.

Is this true? I don't know. I just took it from face value that Jesus existed andthere was no need for proof beyone the Bible.

Darren

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
Re: Proof beyone the Bible.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »

According to the Allexperts web site who answer questions on any topic:

Ask yourself: Could a person who never lived have affected human history so remarkably? The reference work The Historians' History of the World observed: “The historical result of [Jesus'] activities was more momentous, even from a strictly secular standpoint, than the deeds of any other character of history. A new era, recognised by the chief civilisations of the world, dates from his birth.”

Yes, think about it. Even calendars today are based on the year that Jesus was thought to have been born. “Dates before that year are listed as B.C., or before Christ,” explains The World Book Encyclopedia. “Dates after that year are listed as A.D., or anno Domini (in the year of our Lord).”

Critics, nevertheless, point out that all that we really know about Jesus is found in the Bible. No other contemporary records concerning him exist. But is this true?

Although references to Jesus Christ by early secular historians are meager, such references do exist.

Cornelius Tacitus, a respected first-century Roman historian, wrote: “The name [Christian] is derived from Christ, whom the procurator Pontius Pilate had executed in the reign of Tiberius.”

Suetonius and Pliny the Younger, other Roman writers of the time, also referred to Christ.

In addition, Flavius Josephus, a first-century Jewish historian, wrote of James, whom he identified as “the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ.”

"EVIDENCE IN MUSEUM?"

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus referred to the stoning of “James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ.” (THE JEWISH ANTIQUITIES, JOSEPHUS, BOOK XX, SEC. 200)

Tacitus, a Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century C.E., wrote: “Christus [Latin for “Christ”], from whom the name [Christian] had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus.”—THE COMPLETE WORKS OF TACITUS (NEW YORK, 1942), “THE ANNALS,” BOOK 15, PAR. 44.

With reference to early non-Christian historical references to Jesus, THE NEW ENCYCLOPÆDIA BRITANNICA states: “These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus "(1976), MACROPÆDIA, VOL. 10, P. 145.

As it did with the Hebrew Scriptures, archaeology has brought to light many interesting artifacts in support of the inspired record contained in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

For instance –

Pontius Pilate Inscription. It was in 1961 that the first archaeological find was made with reference to Pontius Pilate. ( the person who put Jesus to death) This was a stone slab located at Caesarea, which bore in Latin the name of Pontius Pilate

To mention only one, as there are literally hundreds of artifacts relating to everything Jesus said and did. All the people Jesus mentioned, there is proof they existed, all the places he said he visited, there is proof these places did exist, and so on.

To put is simply, if we are to doubt the historicity of Jesus, we must also doubt the historicity of ones like, Alexander the Great and Napoleon, as there is more evidence of Jesus existence than of theirs.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:50:55 PM by Fester »
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

winner08

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

Thanks fester: I guess no  one is interested in my post. That's ok I get this alot. i guess my questions are not as interesting as other. Anyway no big deal. Thank you for your reply It helped me out alot, thanks

Darren

James

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »

Actually, I am interested in your post, but I'm no expert in history like many are.  There was a HUGE ongoing argument over this topic on another forum of which I'm a member.  Maybe someone else who's studied this more than I will chime in.  Feel free to PM me for further information regarding the other discussion I'm aware of on this topic.  God's blessing, James.

AK4

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »

Thanks fester: I guess no  one is interested in my post. That's ok I get this alot. i guess my questions are not as interesting as other. Anyway no big deal. Thank you for your reply It helped me out alot, thanks

Darren

I dont know if you could count them proof but there are numerous books that were banned from the bible (like the tv documentary) that state something about Jesus.  Are they fully true maybe, maybe not but you books written by Barnabas and others that state Christ.  Heck even the koran states something about Jesus. 

OBrenda

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:04:22 PM »

Darren

Not that your post wasn't interesting, just not knowedgeable enough to give answer.
I may try puttin a pancake on my head, maybe I'll get smarter! ;D

Be Blessed,
Brenda

P.S.  Where is Music Man?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:05:56 PM by OBrenda »

Beloved

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:41:36 PM »

This is an argument used by the world to plant doubt..

We can't see Gravity or the Wind but we can see their effects.

Jesus noted that particular generation needed "proof" too, even the works that He did failed to convince them. They 'knew" they were real and feared that he would take their rule away from them.

Joh 4:48  Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

He also told them this in the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man

(Luk 16:30)  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

(Luk 16:31)  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Those who need proof of Jesus ....have NOT been CALLED and spiritually apeaking are the seas the mass of unbelievers. They are not counted with the MANY CALLED . But of  those many called Jesus also added

(Joh 20:29)  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

The Many called do believe in Jesus

Those are called out of babylon, however study and digest His Words Follow Him and Obey Him and like peter they would only say

(Joh 6:67)  Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
(Joh 6:68)  Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

It is God who opens the eyes and it is only the dog that sees the rabbit that will continue the chase...those who didn't will tire or get distracted .  8)

beloved
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:51:10 PM by Beloved »

aqrinc

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »

Hi winner08,

There is certainly lots of historical evidence other than the bible to prove Jesus was here in the Flesh.
Are you aware that Adolf Hitler was actively pursuing acquisition of 1. The Robe 2. The Spear, 3. The
Chalice (cup from the last supper) as well as The Arc of The Covenant. Old Irish and English records
talk of the (First Church Building) Above Ground in in Glastonbury. Joseph of Aramethea (minister of mines)
and Mary the mother of Jesus were reputed in old english history to have lived there after being driven
from Judea. It takes a lot of research and reading to get the information but; yes it is out there in
abundance. (Google it sometime).

George.

Listen I am not the smartest person in the room by far. I was speaking with some people about Jesus andone said that there's no proof that Jesus was even a real person. He said except for the bible and one or two mention from the historian Josephus there is no proof.

Is this true? I don't know. I just took it from face value that Jesus existed andthere was no need for proof beyone the Bible.

Darren

WhoAmI

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »

This is an argument used by the world to plant doubt..

We can't see Gravity or the Wind but we can see their effects.

Jesus noted that particular generation needed "proof" too, even the works that He did failed to convince them. They 'knew" they were real and feared that he would take their rule away from them.

Joh 4:48  Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

He also told them this in the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man

(Luk 16:30)  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

(Luk 16:31)  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Those who need proof of Jesus ....have NOT been CALLED and spiritually apeaking are the seas the mass of unbelievers. They are not counted with the MANY CALLED . But of  those many called Jesus also added

(Joh 20:29)  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

The Many called do believe in Jesus

Those are called out of babylon, however study and digest His Words Follow Him and Obey Him and like peter they would only say

(Joh 6:67)  Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
(Joh 6:68)  Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

It is God who opens the eyes and it is only the dog that sees the rabbit that will continue the chase...those who didn't will tire or get distracted .  8)

beloved

Very good post.

Noah, Moses etc. They didn't have the specific "proof" that many today who  oppose Christ say they need also. It surely is beyond the "flesh" and "proofs."

Mt 16:17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Joh 4:24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

Joh 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.