bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thanksgiven  (Read 8002 times)

winner08

thanksgiven
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »

Everbody know thanksgiven is comming up. This is a big deal to us. there's only 5 or 6 whos left in our family who can get together for a whole day and just enjoy each others company. My question is  this: Is it against God's truth to do this?

Darren

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: thanksgiven
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:20:52 PM »

Now come on Darren :)  Is there a scripture in the bible that says do not associate and enjoy a day of celebration or reflection with family or friends?  If there is, I need to find a different God.

Craig

winner08

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »

No Craig there is not. Not to my knowledge. But I thought that any Holiday that wasn't one of God's Holiday was a pagan day and it was against God's truths.
While I am at it what's the difference on the celebration of thanksgiven and Christmas's, Halloween  are they not all pagan holidays that we celebrate? Listen this is what I was taught and with almost everything I was taught it was wrong. So take it easy.

Darren

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:19:40 PM »

Hi Darren,

I remember a while back I think it was at the Mobile Conference in '05 we were having an informal chat with Ray and a few others and this subject of Thanksgiving Day came up (the Conference was in November that year). Ray had mentioned that if indeed any holiday celebration was approved by God this would be the one, it was always a feast dedicated to all the things God provides, it is a day of celebrating our family, friends and His provisions to us all. It has no root in paganism nor does it celebrate a selfish attitude.

We should be thankful each and every day for sure but we can't always get together with all our family and friends to share our thanks together.

If you think about it that answer makes a lot of sense.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Peace,

Joe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 05:53:14 PM by hillsbororiver »

OBrenda

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »

Hey, I think everyone's going to Jen's House for some of that Turkey!

Before I book my flight I wonder what Longhorn is serving? ;D

Gobble Gobble,
Brenda

Hope You have a Wonderful Holiday Darren!  There's lots to be Thankful for!

WhoAmI

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

Everyday is Thanksgiving!

1co 15:57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

:)

Beloved

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »

Everyday is Thanksgiving!   Well said WhoamI

The is from the Hillel (Ps 113 to 118)that Jesus sung just before He went to Gethsemane

Mat 26:30  And when they had sung a hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

(Psa 118:24)  This is the Day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I guess we need to say this in good times and bad...

beloved

musicman

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:26:27 AM »

Well, if you want to get technical:

The pilgrims escaped religious persecution to come here and enjoy the opportunity of burning witches.  Of course the Indians saved their butts by showing them how to grow crops and hunt.  They also saved them from freezing their buttockses off.  So Thanksgiving celebrates the wonderful works of the native Americans.  I guarantee that the Indians were not Christians.  So if anything, Thanksgiving has no religious affiliation.

OBrenda

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »

The pilgrims escaped religious persecution to come here and enjoy the opportunity of burning witches. 

ROFL
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:41:59 AM »

The pilgrims escaped religious persecution to come here and enjoy the opportunity of burning witches.  Of course the Indians saved their butts by showing them how to grow crops and hunt.  They also saved them from freezing their buttockses off.  So Thanksgiving celebrates the wonderful works of the native Americans.  I guarantee that the Indians were not Christians.  So if anything, Thanksgiving has no religious affiliation.

But the native Americans had Columbus Day.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:43:00 AM by Dennis Vogel »

KristaD

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

While I am at it what's the difference on the celebration of thanksgiven and Christmas's, Halloween  are they not all pagan holidays that we celebrate?
Darren

You can do a google search for the origins of thanksgiving, halloween and christmas and you will see that the latter two stem from pagan holidays and thanksgiving does not. So in short, no, thanksgiving is NOT a pagan holiday like the others. It is the only holiday that we still celebrate but we have changed it up a bit. Talk to God about it and do what He lays on your heart :).

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:18 AM »

Is that supposed to be a joke?  I don't get it. ;D ::)

René

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »

René

Christopher Columbus, the guy who discovered America? If he was never born the native Americans would still own the country. So the joke is that the native Americans had Columbus Day, but not really because Christopher Columbus wrecked ... never mind, what's the use...

Some people have no sense of humor.

WhoAmI

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »

René

Christopher Columbus, the guy who discovered America? If he was never born the native Americans would still own the country. So the joke is that the native Americans had Columbus Day, but not really because Christopher Columbus wrecked ... never mind, what's the use...

The second part of that joke is that Christopher Columbus didn't discover America.

Jeff

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

René

The second part of that joke is that Christopher Columbus didn't discover America.

Jeff

See what I mean? I can't win!

WhoAmI

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »

René

Jeff

See what I mean? I can't win!

Now that is funny!  :D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.