bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas  (Read 11359 times)

OBrenda

Re: Christmas
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »

I was wondering if it might be helpful as some have done already, to share any clever holiday traditions they may have adapted to bring more of the right "Spirit" into it?

My Sister started a "Cook Book" with recipes from family members.  She would write some things about the person, Like my Great Grandma (passed) who lived in Canada, and would feed the Indians whenever they would knock on the door.  My Grandmother who is afraid of her own shadow would run & hide. lol  :D  Then we would add the person's favorite scripture, or one that describes what they tried to live. 

We enjoy reading these and spend hours of the day laughing & reminiscing.  And the younger ones get to learn about the many different knuckleheads, that have come before them.

The biggest costs for this gift is time & thoughtfulness put to paper.  This gift is treasured memories!

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »

I'm just a piece of luggage.  I go where they tell me to, and eat when they tell me to.  I state clearly year after year that I do not want to 'exchange' presents, and year after year they pooh-pooh this, certain that they know what I 'mean' and 'want' more than I do.  To not go along causes them grief.  To go along causes me grief.  So far, I have managed to esteem them more highly than myself. 

Sadly, there won't be any kids this year as they are in Hawaii by orders of the US Army.  My sister's third husband and his 21 year old son and his girlfriend will be there, no doubt.  Hardly a suitable substitute for bright, smiling faces of the kiddies. 

Thankfully, little is expected of me.  If I'm drafted to read the nativity story from scripture again, I will do it.  I certainly believe it all more now than I ever did before.  I may have to preach, come to think of it.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

aqrinc

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »

Dave, Dave, Dave. Yes the nativity story.

I have 2 Granddaughters  one 3yrs the other 9+ months. My wife is still in Hagee land but does
not believe in christmas any longer. We do the christmas stuff with all the family (that participate)
including in-laws every year without trying for conversions. If asked i speak about
what i have learned without accusing or upbraiding anyone. We are in the world, not of the
world and can be a light without burning or consigning any one to burn.

George.  :-X

Marlene

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

Hello, I have lost the need for Christmas. It has come a little at a time. This has been before, I knew the truth. I think God knows our heart. I don't ever care to go back to what I believed once. The Hell theory being the worse thing I could  belive. That is about my Saviors Character. I don't yearn to be in bondage. I think God is the judge of each and everyones heart.

In His Love,
Marlene

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »

Of course, I'm joking about preaching.   :D  My mouth will likely be shut up like Zacharias, father of John the Baptist...but if it is opened, then all bets are off.   ;D  

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

aqrinc

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

You can tell if the Word is for that person by their reaction. As soon as the Word is spoken their
eyes glaze over and they lose interest in whatever you are saying.

George.  :-\

Marlene

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 05:36:21 PM »

Hello All : I have been reading in Romans 14 and 15 because of a discussion on the general  discussion board. But, I belive Romans 14 and 15 can be of value on this subject of Christmas.

As, I said, in a previous post I believe this is a matter of right and wrong in our own heart.  God judges us and knows if our heart is condemed. My husbands great grandmother who lived to be 101 years old was one of the most Godly saints I ever knew. She celebrated Christmas. To her it was about his Birth. I could never judge and say she was not accepted because of that. But, if it would be wrong to me in my heart I have to judge myself. I would never wanted to make her stumble in a disputable manner. The Lord judges her heart as well as ours. We should do what we decide in our heart does not condemn us. I hope you will all read Romans 14 and 15.
In His Love
Marlene

Longhorn

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Christmass?  What's that?  Just another day to me.  In fact, on December 25 I just grudgingly go to visit family members and sit around gloating to myself about how much I know about this pagan holiday.  It hurts my insides to not scream out "pagan holiday", winter solstice"  "you indoctrinated traditionalists", ha ha ha.  After spending those hours, arrogantly laughing to myself about how I have not gotten sucked into the hype, I finish stuffing my face, collect my many presents and head home.  Christmas?  Who needs it? 

Musicman,  Dont leave out the post Christmass lunch Nap, and Mucho Football.  Life is good, and I will worry about taking down the Christmas lights along about March 19th or 20th, which ever comes first.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

But I do need that 56 inch plasma TV, so Merry Christmas everbody!!

ericsteven

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »

After a couple of years of telling my parents that I will not celebrate Christmas by giving or receiving material stuff (the first year, I think I went so far as to use the word that begins with a "cr" and ends with an "ap"), this year my mother said to me, "I'm done with buying people stuff."  Instead, she has decided to give maybe $15 - $20 for each person in our immediate family (~10) to the Smile Train Organization, which helps restore smiles to children who are born with and suffer from cleft lip and pallete in various countries around the world.

Since everyone's off work, we'll still get together for a good meal and game or movie night, but as she finally has acknowledged, "Enough with the stuff!"

Marlene

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »

Eric, I say Amen to that. All, we will do is have a family get together for the meal. Being, His and My family do not believe like us. My husband took the initiative to tell his family not to buy and we were not either. Really truely since I belive like this I have lost the urge. I do think there is not anything wrong to have a meal with the ones we love when all are off work. Besides, we never know when we could loose a love one.

In His Love,
Marlene

Ninny

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »

Besides, we never know when we could loose a love one.

Now, Marlene that is what I was going to say! Since we have spent so many hours praying and crying for our little grandson, and not knowing what we were going to be up against with him; EVERYDAY is a gift for us! Christmas? Thanksgiving? Birthdays? WHO CARES?? A day is a gift! A breath is a gift! We don't know what tomorrow brings. We are only promised this moment, we need to make the most of each moment. God only wants us to love and forgive and not judge, we don't have time for anything else! God gave us a grand gift with the result of the baby's tumor, so for us each day is a day of thanksgiving (and Christmas!)
Kathy :) :)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.