bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference?  (Read 4279 times)

Martinez

Difference?
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »

Hello there brothers and sisters!

I've been reading through the new testament these last couple of weeks and I've noticed that each different writer has their own style and you can really tell where the origin of their understanding comes from.

Paul quotes all old testament books because He was a pharisee and would have known the Torah like the back of His hand (I wish I did) and His style of writing is a bit harder to understand and he doesn't really quote Christ because He wasn't around Him.

Where as James quotes Christ because He was one of His disciples (or brother even) and His style of writing is way easier to understand and the same with Peter.
He does come across as a bit of an angry man to me though compared with Paul, I could be wrong!

Has anyone else noticed these subtleties?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:28 PM »

I suspect a lot of the 'tone' is lost in the various translations, but I do see some differences in style and emphasis.

It's helpful to me to add some emotion to the words when it's just me and the book.  The letters especially come from relationships and we inherit that these centuries later.  The Word is alive in more ways than one.

OUR moderators think they have a tough job...imagine being Paul trying to moderate scattered churches.   :D  I don't know, but I'm betting there were a LOT of letters written that we no longer have.  I'm not saying we need them, I just like to get inside the skin of the writer as much as the Spirit allows. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Martinez

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:54:16 AM »

I bet trying to keep the churches from falling away was a complete nightmare and definitely an exercise in futility because we all know how that turned out!

I'm sure Paul knew it was an exercise in futility but I think He was just concerned with keeping those under His direct care from selling their birth rights.

He does mention that He was reduced to tears while writing these letters on a couple of occasions, if I'm not mistaken.

WhoAmI

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »

A lot of people I come across don't grasp the scriptures much at all according to how they are written. I will explain it or often talk about things using my own language and they come alive. And then I tell them I get that from the scriptures. They are often surprised.
I am with Dave in Tenn, it would be interesting to see the other letters. Afterall many people have tried to understand the meaning of the scriptures from words and reading just one part of the conversation just doesn't cut it in many areas. I suspect this is very much the reason behind a lot of different opinions on the scriptures.

Jeff

Martinez

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 05:31:48 AM »

That's quite understandable for some of Paul's letters.
They are written in a style is very difficult to grasp what He is saying.

Some people I have noticed, just have the ability to take something that is otherwise very simple and make it seem very complicated!

Paul was a pharisee and most probably more well off than the ordinary people of Jerusalem, and He was probably used to conversing and sharing idea's with much more sophisticated associates like Himself.

James and Peter on the other hand were simple fishermen from Galilee and were probably used to dealing with much simpler people and concepts.

I certainly have a much easier time reading their writtings.

joyful1

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:46:24 AM »

:D Thank God, He knew we'd need the spirit of Truth to lead us into ALL TRUTH!
Joyce :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.