bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy is the man who does not sin by doing what’s right.  (Read 6800 times)

Richard D

Happy is the man who does not sin by doing what’s right.
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

I have read a scripture and cannot find it now but it said this, Happy is the man who does not sin by doing what’s right.

What is this scripture referring to?  :-\

In God’s love. Richard.

mharrell08

Re: Happy is the man who does not sin by doing what’s right.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »

Are you referring to this verse?

Rom 14:22  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Marques

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:44:29 PM »

That is the only Scripture i see also that matches.

I understand it to mean making a right choice when having a choice to sin or do good.

Joh_13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. (ok here is another)

George.

Are you referring to this verse?

Rom 14:22  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Marques
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:48:45 PM by aqr »

Marlene

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »

Hello All, I believe we have to take Romans 14 and 15 in total context. To understand it fully. I will give a few scriptures.

Romans 14 verse 3 The Man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not eat every thing, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

verse 5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in there own mind.

verse 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord.He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

verse 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord.

So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

Romans 14 verse one Accept him whose faith is weak with out passing judgment on disputalbe.

We are not to judge others on eating or drinking or special days or sacred days. But, if something is wrong to us we should abstain and not pass judgement on any who do not abstain.

Romans 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

Romans 14 verse 20
Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong, for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

romans 21 It is Better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

Romans verse 22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who has doubts  is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and every thing that does not come from faith is sin.

Romans 15 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Verse 2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up . Verse 3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written:"The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me."
verse 4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

What I believe this is all saying on disputable matters we should each do as we believe in our heart is right. Like eating or drinking. Also, like a sacred day or  all days alike. . cause if our heart condmens us then it would be sin to us. But, if it is ok to us in our heart then we are not condemned. I would say this is saying do what is right in your heart on these things and you will be happy it is not a sin to you. But, dont judge others who do not see it like you do.

Romans 15 verse 7 Accept one another, then just as Christ accepted you in order to bring Praise to God

In His Love
Marlene

Richard D

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »

Marques.

I believe it was in the Old Testament but I can’t find it now. But I definitely remember that verse, Happy is the man who does not sin by doing what’s right. I think it had something to do with our liberties in Christ.

You know I can eat meat anytime of the year but on certain special days or holidays  it may offend a brother or sister if I ate meat in their presents. Well with my liberties in Christ I can eat whatever I want. But I would be wrong to offend a weaker brother or sister in the faith for a piece of meat with my liberties in Christ.

So I would be right but also sin. I believe that scripture you quoted (Rom 14:22) would be a witness to the one I read.

I need to start writing down scriptures that stand out to me.

Thanks Marques.                            In His Love. Richard.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »

I couldn't find it in any of the translations I have in ESword.  That doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you have at least some of the words wrong making it difficult (or impossible) to search.  I tried various combinations of phrases.  Checking it one word at a time would take a long time.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Marlene

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »

Richard, As I said before your last post. We can think we are right but sin by judging our weaker brothers and sister. We can make them stumble on matter which are disputable.

In His Love,
Marlene

David

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

Its the last sentence of Romans 14:22, its just from an obscure translation/version.

Richard D

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »

Thanks Dave.

I know I read it the way I wrote it down but I might have read it from the Good news bible or even another one I have seven or eight different bibles here.

I know it’s in one of those translations I was hoping someone remember that verse also.

I’ll keep looking. In God’s love. Richard.

Marlene

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »

Hi Richard, In the King James it says Romans Hast though faith? have it to thyself Before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. that is Romans 22. You are right I believe in thinking to judge one in what you think is right could be a sin to us. Vers 23 says And he that doubteth is dammed if he eat, because he eateth not of faith;for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. I think the Niv. versions says it so we can understand more. Romans Chapter 14 and 14 covers it all I believe.
In His Love
Marlene

Richard D

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

Hello Marlene.

I believe that’s what that scripture meant about being right but sinning at the same time for showing lack of love to a brother or sister causing them to stumble.

When I find that scripture again then I’ll have a witness to Rom 14:22. Its wonderful learning how the bible is its own interpreter by having two or three witness of a particular scripture.  :)

Thanks Marlene for your response. Your brother in Christ. Richard.

Beloved

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »

This may not be exactly the scripture that you are thinking of 

(Isa 56:1)  Thus said Jehovah: `Keep ye judgment, and do righteousness, For near is My salvation to come, And My righteousness to be revealed.'

(Isa 56:2)  O the happiness of a man who doth this, And of a son of man who keepeth hold on it, Keeping the sabbath from polluting it, And keeping his hand from doing any evil.

beloved

Marlene

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 12:13:55 AM »

Richard, Yes, I believe you will find a second witness. All, I can say is that God knows the true heart not man. There are disputable matters that really are not anything to fight over and make a Brother or Sister Stumble.

In His Love,
Marlene

P.S. I am new to this second witness thing, but I am sure God can teach us.

Kat

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »

Hi Richard,

I used the different parts of the phrase and I thought this verse with the "does not sin" might be it.

Ecc 7:20  For there is not a just man on earth who does good And does not sin.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Mike T

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 04:58:51 AM »

Psalm 1?

'Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked...'

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 06:14:33 AM »

1 Peter 2 : 20 After all what kind of glory is there in it if, when you do wrong and are punished for it,you take it patiently? BUT if you bear patiently with suffering which results when you DO RIGHT and that is undeserved, it is acceptable and PLEASING TO GOD.

1 Peter 4 : 19 Therefore, those who are ill-treated and suffer in accordance with God's Will, MUST DO RIGHT and COMMIT THEIR SOULS in charge as a deposit to the One Who created them and will never fail them.

aqrinc

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »

There you go again, convicting a Brother (LOL). Thanks again Arc for a most timely Scripture, i am now back in balance.

george.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »

Hey George

I also need to commit myself to my Creator and also to commit my circumstances and outcome of such to Him to find any balance at all. As for doing anything right, well He knows how I am....I fail 100 percent of the time and He is the factor that has the credit for any right doing in my thoughts, motives and ways....

Arc

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.