bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should one read the bible with modern day technology?  (Read 8492 times)

Richard D

Should one read the bible with modern day technology?
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »

I’m wondering if it’s better for me to read my bible or listen to audio bible on bible Gateway because faith comes by hearing the word of God. So if one hears the word of God in their ears rather than read it would one receive greater faith that way?  :-\

mharrell08

Re: Should one read the bible with modern day technology?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »

Spiritual discernment comes from God alone...He can speak to your heart and mind through visual, audio, and any other way if need be. Don't worry, God is not limited if you choose to only 'read' as opposed to 'listen' or vice versa. 'Hearing the Word of God' is spiritual...nothing to do with your physical ears.  :)

Marques

Linny

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »

I agree with Marques. "Hearing" is speaking of Spiritually hearing not physically hearing. The church folk hear (with their ears) the Word of God every week at church but they don't "hear" it, you know?

martincisneros

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »

I agree with Marques. "Hearing" is speaking of Spiritually hearing not physically hearing. The church folk hear (with their ears) the Word of God every week at church but they don't "hear" it, you know?
Catch-22: If the Word of God were actually being taught and preached every week at Churches, we'd probably have fewer issues with those Churches.

It helps to feed on the Word every way that you can get it.  Read it, listen to it, speak it (i.e. read it aloud), write it out, and most importantly make sure that you're a doer and not just a hearer of the Word. Don't just write the Word on your heart, which is where it needs to be most of all.  Write it all over the house and read it every chance you get. Make posters with long passages like 1John 3:14-24, Galatians 3, etc., and read 'em every chance that you get!  Sounds fanatical, perhaps, but think of the filth we're bombarded with every day in the same way with billboards, television, internet advertisements, magazines, all of the holiday posters and advertisements that fill our stores, our malls, our schools, etc.

If we've got anyone at this forum that tinkers a bit, here's an idea for an invention: figure out how to have a door bell that quotes a bunch of Scriptures on the Universal Restoration when someone's at the door.  First ring of the bell and you hear 1Corinthians 15:22 being read all over the house, second ring and you hear Ephesians 1:10 being read all over the house, third ring and you hear Revelation 5:13 being read all over the house instead of the typical buzzers, bells, digital sounds, etc. when the button for the door bell is pushed.  Perhaps have it with up to 3 to 5 dozen presets since the tiniest chips these days can have megabytes of memory.  And then the ability to customize it the way that you want it, with either one Scripture being read each time the button is pressed, or your choice of the Scriptures that are preset into the memory being spoken each time the button is pressed in the order that you wish, or with simply having it read a different one of each of the presets each time the door bell is rang until it's spoken all of them aloud that are in it's memory and then just starts over.

Richard D

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »

The other night I had put on a pair of head phones and listened to audio bible on bible gateway and thought it was great although unlike reading I find it does lack because it moves to quickly. With reading one can go slow and have time to think and meditate about what’s being read.

I was interested in others opinion

In God’s love. Richard.

aqrinc

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »

I have dnld all the audio and video stuff, convert audio to mp3 and load all on 1 cd to get over
60 hours of BT on audio. All the video burnt to DVD on 2 discs, now i am able to listen in the
vehicle while driving and watch on tv anytime. Works great along with the Forum and printing
out for good old reading, oh sword project for many versions of the bible and dictionary.

george.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:03:38 PM by aqr »

winner08

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »

great idea.

Darren

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »

I’m wondering if it’s better for me to read my bible or listen to audio bible on bible Gateway because faith comes by hearing the word of God. So if one hears the word of God in their ears rather than read it would one receive greater faith that way?  :-\

That would sure make the deaf spiritually disadvantaged.
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

Martinez

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

That would sure make the deaf spiritually disadvantaged.

I hear that the blind are even more spiritually disadvantaged!

;D

Richard D

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

Martinez and Fester.

I hear what you two are saying but are we not all blind and deaf. Without God showing me, I cannot see or without God telling me, I cannot hear. I thought listening to the word of God from bible gate way was cool but it did not allow me to think about what was being said because it went to fast.

I was wondering if anyone was just listening and wanted to see what they thought as well.  I enjoyed listening but I could not stop and meditate because it just went to fast.

Sometimes I think the old fashion way is the only way. It’s easier to listen but better to read I think. But I was just wondering what others have thought.

In God’s love. Richard.

martinCisneros.

You have made some good points no doubts about it, but in the world I live in, few would ring my doorbell after awhile………..lol……..You know what I mean.

But your advice is great none the less. You are right about us being bombarded everyday with so much garbage from all media outlets.

In God’s love. Richard.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:24:14 AM by Richard D »

David

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »

I have the NKJV on a CD set, I used to listen to it a lot. Nothing replaces reading if indeed you've set your mind on serious study. By listening I found that after a while of concentration, I was hearing but not listening. I get more out of reading personally. That's not to say I don't get a lot out of listening to spiritual Bible studies such as Ray gives, but I think that's different to just listening to the Bible being read by someone. Often recorded Bible readings will have no particular emphasis on any scripture in order to drive home a certain point. Where as someone that has the Spirit that's teaching the Word rather than just reading it, will often emphasize certain scriptures that can have profound revelations.
Having said all that, the wonders of modern technology should not be underestimated. There are millions in the world that are either illiterate, semi literate, partially sighted or totally blind, that benefit hugely from recorded Bible reading and study. I was told by a very dear elderly friend that had lost her sight, that having the Bible to listen to was an enormous blessing and comfort. She told me that once her sight had gone, her sense of listening was extremely heightened and she actually got more from the Bible than she ever did reading it, because she payed more attention. The spiritual lesson in that statement, thanks to God, was not lost on me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:42:43 AM by David »

James

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:42:50 AM »

If we've got anyone at this forum that tinkers a bit, here's an idea for an invention: figure out how to have a door bell that quotes a bunch of Scriptures on the Universal Restoration when someone's at the door.  First ring of the bell and you hear 1Corinthians 15:22 being read all over the house, second ring and you hear Ephesians 1:10 being read all over the house, third ring and you hear Revelation 5:13 being read all over the house instead of the typical buzzers, bells, digital sounds, etc. when the button for the door bell is pushed.  Perhaps have it with up to 3 to 5 dozen presets since the tiniest chips these days can have megabytes of memory.  And then the ability to customize it the way that you want it, with either one Scripture being read each time the button is pressed, or your choice of the Scriptures that are preset into the memory being spoken each time the button is pressed in the order that you wish, or with simply having it read a different one of each of the presets each time the door bell is rang until it's spoken all of them aloud that are in it's memory and then just starts over.

I like your idea Martin.  Maybe somebody on here will get busy and invent this for us.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:54:10 AM by James »

Heidi

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 04:43:50 AM »

..... She told me that once her sight had gone, her sense of listening was extremely heightened and she actually got more from the Bible than she ever did reading it, because she payed more attention. The spiritual lesson in that statement, thanks to God, was not lost on me.

Just wondering what spiritual lesson you got from what she said to you.  When I read it I also could not help but think, wow, loosing in the physical (like eyesight) means you gain in the spiritual.  Not being able to rely on what you take for granted hightens your senses to other things.

Anyways....thanks for telling this story as it did me something to me as well.

David

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »

..... She told me that once her sight had gone, her sense of listening was extremely heightened and she actually got more from the Bible than she ever did reading it, because she payed more attention. The spiritual lesson in that statement, thanks to God, was not lost on me.

Just wondering what spiritual lesson you got from what she said to you.  When I read it I also could not help but think, wow, loosing in the physical (like eyesight) means you gain in the spiritual.  Not being able to rely on what you take for granted hightens your senses to other things.

Exactly that Heidi, its only when we loose our sight, accept that we are completely blind that we actually begin to pay attention to Gods word and God gives understanding.

aqrinc

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:14 PM »

David,

Cha ching; brother i could see it but never verbalize it in the way you just did.

Thanks, george.

Exactly that Heidi, its only when we loose our sight, accept that we are completely blind that we actually begin to pay attention to Gods word and God gives understanding.

jennie

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

Hey Ya'll
 This is interesting to me. I think as someone said earlier we "listen" with our hearts whether we are truly listening or readin the Word. My Daddy didn't go to church but he taught me something. He had a quiet place in the woods behind his house on top of the mountain. He went there to read his Bible and talk to God. A lot of people looked down on him, especially church folks but I thought it was such a heartfelt  and sincere time with just him and God. He wasn't perfect but I respected and loved him so much. Ever since he told me that I try to make some time like he did. Love to all, Jennie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.