bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a verse please ...  (Read 4292 times)

Gill

Help with a verse please ...
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:47:59 PM »

Rev 1:18

'I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore ...'

I know that forevermore is meant to be 'for the ages of the ages', but why alive for the ages of the ages, when Christ is immortal?  Is this somehow talking about His reign in the ages to come? ~ a bit puzzled by the use of the word alive here.

I can't remember whether this has already been covered in BT writings somewhere ~ any help would be much appreciated  :)

Daniel

Re: Help with a verse please ...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Gill
Rev 1:18

'I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore ...'

I know that forevermore is meant to be 'for the ages of the ages', but why alive for the ages of the ages, when Christ is immortal?  Is this somehow talking about His reign in the ages to come? ~ a bit puzzled by the use of the word alive here.

I can't remember whether this has already been covered in BT writings somewhere ~ any help would be much appreciated  :)

He is immortal your right, Romans 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

this is interesting

Hebrrews 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God[/u]; abideth a priest continually.

Not sure what Ray says, I havent read everything. Its hard to find everything on the site, I'll be curious to what others post.

Daniel

orion77

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:58:12 PM »

Age of the ages, because there will come a time when Jesus will hand it all back over to the Father and God will be all in all.

Even though Jesus is eternal and lives forever more, He reigns until the last age, then hands it back to our Father, hence the ages.

(Rev 1:17)  And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet, as dead. And He put His right hand on me, saying to me, Do not fear. I am the First and the Last,

(Rev 1:18)  and the Living One; and I became dead; and, behold, I am living forever and ever. Amen. And I have the keys to hell, and of death.

I am not an expert in this, but it seems to me that these are comforting words to the elect.  When we spiritually see Him, we fall to His feet and die of this carnal mind.  Then He comforts us, by saying, " Do not fear, for I also became dead, yet I am living forever, and have the KEYS to hell and of death".

Keys are used to open doors, and just who is the door?  And there is only one way through this door.  It all points to Christ, the One who we follow.  He is the door, and has the keys, and is the gatekeeper.  

God the Father and the Christ, our Lord and Saviour, live in the heavenlies, or eternal realm not bound to time as we are.  When time is put on them, it does not matter if it is ten years, one thousand years, ages or age of the ages, they are still eternal.

This is the way I see it, could be wrong.  Would like other input on this to make sure.

God bless,

Gary

zander

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »

Also remember that just because it only says ages of the ages, DOES NOT mean that it means ages of the ages ONLY.  If i said to you i would be alive tomorrow, does not mean i would be alive tomorow ONLY.

There are many instances in the scriptures that are written this way and to the eye it can seem like it limits God, but thats because we assume it is ONLY when in reality it is not.

Gill

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »

I hear ya, Zander  :wink:  ~ thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.