bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Afraid of dying  (Read 12548 times)

Heidi

Afraid of dying
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »

If anything then this is where I feel comfortable in discussing things with my brothers and sisters because I know that I will get heavenly advise.......I have a real fear of dying.....not that I don't know that I will be sleeping, it is just the thought of what I am leaving behind.....lets be honest, I enjoy living.....it is awesome to be alive!

I know that this is an idol of the heart and I pray to God to help me to overcome this fear because there is really nothing to be scared about.....but still I am.  And I also feel guilty because Paul writes and says "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain".  I pray to get peace about this and to overcome this.

Please.....if anyone can give me advise I would appreciate it.....and prayer

EKnight

Re: Afraid of dying
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:24:26 PM »

Hi Heidi,

I can't advise you I can only agree.  I am not "afraid" to die, after all, the dead know nothing.  However, I am afraid for those I leave behind.  It is the thinking about death while living that is the problem.

Eileen

Heidi

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »

It is the thinking about death while living that is the problem.

Exactly!  I suppose also the unknown aspect of it....and how it will be that I die....is it going to be painful or quick, in a car accident or something else.  O'man....I need to let go of this!

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

It is the thinking about death while living that is the problem.

Exactly!  I suppose also the unknown aspect of it....and how it will be that I die....is it going to be painful or quick, in a car accident or something else.  O'man....I need to let go of this!

Just think if you didn't have that fear. What kind of person would you be and to what ends would you go without that fear? Sometimes we can come to a mindset that all we need is a little tweak in the way we are but obviously we are made this way for God's will and purpose.

This fear could be something that is used to hold yourself in check. Or, something the Lord will use to glorify His name when you overcome it. But either way, it has a purpose and God did not cause you to have it for no reason.

Hope that helps,

Marques

musicman

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »

I remember when I was in eighth grade I suffered a severe depression because I knew that some day I would die.  I wasn't afraid of dying any time soon.  I just hated the fact that death was closer every day of my life.  You can't escape it.  I was going to die someday.  I never really considered the possibility that God was real and we would all live again with immortality.  Perhaps I would have been happier if I had been brought up believing in God.  Then again, belief in hell would probably have been millions of times worse.  Today, I have little fear of death.  My fears are only the set backs that could take place at any time during my physical life.  Those fears are the one's that I need God's help with. 

Marlene

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »

Hello, I what to say something. It would be two years ago. I was so ill. I have diabetes, high blood preasure. Spinal problems. Fibormalgia. Problems with high levels in my kidneys and arthritis . Well, one time in church I was in so much pain and my sister-in-law told me I needed to get my act together. Wow, this hurt me so bad. I knew my life was not act. I started having an unforgiving spirit about me. I got so ill that I did not go to church for months. This was the best thing that ever happened to me. Anyways, for several weeks I laid in my bed and cried out to God. I knew he was the only one who knew the pain and how ill I felt. He took me through a trusting him time of my life. I said,"God I forgive her because no one can feel what is going on in our body. Only, I can and God. Well, I had been having lots of uti's. My husband was gone to help me with a home base business I have. I told my mother I thought I was getting the flu. She was going to my sisters and she wondered if she should stay home with me. She is 86 and I hated for her to do that. But, God was faithful to me.
I became confused and my neighbor had called me she worked at the hospital. She called the squad. I had a 109 temp. My blood pressure was very low. My sugars were good. But, I was heading for shock. When, they got me in there, my white blood count was so high they could not count it. It took them 48 hours to find a antibiotic to work. I had a blood stream infection that is usually deadly ,expecially with people with health problems like I have. I had a large stroke which they never found till two weeks later. It was huge, but I was left without any paralysis. I do have some forgetfullness, but that could be a combination of things. But, the point I want to get at is all the amazing things he taught me. I never once went unconscious though they said they had never seen that with this when it was that serious. I felt his presence with me. I still cry when I think of all of this. He kept me awake for every minute of it. I said, "Lord I know it is in your control." You will do what you want. I had never ever thought of it like that till then. Well, obviously he took good care of me. I laid for a week on a cooling pad with temp at night aroudnd 107 for three days. I learned of his love for me. Not, because I did not die, but he showed me his power. Also, for sometime I had been doing research about Calvanism and the different religions. I had also, for a long time not believed tithe was right. Well, the church we had been going too, the pastor preached on it alot. He said"He did not know what anyone gave. But, a young couple had left for that reason. My second week back he took the exact amount my husband and I gave and then he said, "If you dont tithe right God might kill you". I had to leave not because I was hurt but because He lied and set himself in the seat of God. I am just trying to show how god can use a threat of death for many purposes. It made me leave. Then, I got thinking about Hell and how he had taken me out of a sin I had fallen into. Someone close to me hurt me and I fail into the same sin. It taught me how to forgive them. I felt like Hell over not forgiving them and even worse I fell into this sin. I felt he could not forgive me. I wanted to die. I could not stand my failure. I wanted to get the burning started. Then I began to hate Hell. He led me to Ray's website.  Oh, my I found out I didn't even know him. He is LOVE. He gave me victories I had tried for years to do on my own. He showed me I was powerless.

I am no longer afraid to die. All, I can tell you I think after I had repented of this failure. He led me to truth. I am sure he wanted me to take him serious.
I Love Him now and take him more serious now then I did with my Hell believe.
He has put the desire in me to run the race. I know he is able to bring me to the finish if he chooses. But, I also, know if he doesn't choose that I will still be in the great harvest. Wow, the things this experience took me through. I don't want to die yet for one reason my mother is 88 and she lives with me and she can't bare to see me die. But, as for when he wants me I know he will be with me no matter what it is like.

I don't know if this will help you any, but I wanted to share that he is able to take us through  anything. It might never be like we fear. I hope if I was able to help you. But, anyway I am sure he has some purpose for you.

In His Love,
Marlene

Heidi

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:59:36 AM »

All of your replies have really touched my heart and I have learnt something in each and every one of them.....some real powerful testimonies and sharing or other fears.  Marques....you are so right....God has allowed for me to experience this fear and it will be to His glorification, whatever the outcome.

Thank you all. 

Love
Heidi

Martinez

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:57:07 AM »

Heidi,

It helps to remember that the time of you're physical death is predetermined by God.

Luk 12:7  But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

This is the apostle Paul thoughts of dying.

Phi 1:21  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

So what has this got do you Heidi?
Well you have been called to be a saint as Paul was, and He was not afraid of death for any reason.

Rom 1:7  To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Phi 1:6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

If Christ See's fit to make you one of the saints, then you will have no fear when the time comes.

I really hope that helps! ???

Samson

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »

If anything then this is where I feel comfortable in discussing things with my brothers and sisters because I know that I will get heavenly advise.......I have a real fear of dying.....not that I don't know that I will be sleeping, it is just the thought of what I am leaving behind.....lets be honest, I enjoy living.....it is awesome to be alive!

I know that this is an idol of the heart and I pray to God to help me to overcome this fear because there is really nothing to be scared about.....but still I am.  And I also feel guilty because Paul writes and says "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain".  I pray to get peace about this and to overcome this.

Good Morning Heidi,

I'm glad you Posted this topic, I can relate to all of this. All of us can be logical about this,
                            knowing the Scriptures pertaining to Death, Dying, the dead are conscious of nothing, death
                            likened to sleep, not knowing the predetermined manner as to how we will die, but that feeling
                            might still persist, a fear of dying and that fear varies in it's intensity towards each one of us
                            individually.

Occasionally the fear of dying and the manner of my eventual death pops in my head. This is
                            not to say " I'm obsessed with it," but it's present. I make an effort to dismiss this thought,
                            knowing how terrible it feels when dwelling on it, because if I think too long on this fear of
                            dying, I will usually start to invent possible scenarios in my mind as to what " might happen. "

I can remember when first learning that we didn't have " Free Will " and I would be alittle paranoid
                            about what choices I would make, especially when driving. I'm glad that " WHAT IF " thinking
                            didn't continue, now only occasionally does that pop in my mind, " WHAT IF." It's almost like the
                            Movie, The Time Machine(recent version) where the inventor says " WHAT IF "

We could drive ourselves crazy thinking about " WHAT IF. "  Too many WHAT IFS have led me
                             to Depression in the past and it certainly doesn't feel very good. As Ray said regarding Dying:
                             " Free Will yourself out of that one "

Once again, a good thread, it's an issue we all have to come to terms with, DYING.

Kind Regards, Samson. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:08:41 PM by Samson »

chuckt

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »

im torn between the two, i wanna stay AND i wanna depart.

there is nothing wrong with you.

peace while in the world.

chuckt

Kat

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »

Hi Heidi,

Death, it is a hard thing to comtemplate.  From our perspective we have always been alive, because we have no memory before our life began.  But yet we can realize that all people that have lived before us have faced death and only one has conquered it.  But even Jesus Christ seemed unnerved by it and prayed for that cup to pass from Him.

Mat 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You [will.]" 

But we know our God was willing to endure even death for us.

Mat 26:42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless* I drink it, Your will be done." 

This life is such a fleeting thing, really only a moment to time and of course most want to hold on to it for as long as possible. 

James 4:14 whereas you do not know what [will happen] tomorrow. For what [is] your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 

But we can not dwell on our ultimate demise in the physical, but we should think of what we can do as long as we are still alive.  Everyday is a blessing and a chance to accomplish something good and lasting beyond this physical, God willing.

John 9:4 "I* must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; [the] night is coming when no one can work. 

1Cr 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
v. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
v. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

walt123

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:46:28 PM »

Hello Heidi
 I quess my fear of dying is like yours ,how its going to end up,I don't
think about dying much ,but when I do , my fear is getting old and not being able to do things on my own,
or dying slowly in great pain.
I know GOD said he will not try you more than your're able,but sometimes can't help think i wish
it would be quick.
If I had a chose in dying,it would be in my sleep ,with no pain that is,and waking up in the kingdom ,is preferred.

But not my will but GOD's be done.AMEN

walt

Jackie Lee

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »

Heidi,  I sometimes think of dying too. Today I was thinking, I hate the thought of dying I seem like I have been here forever and I don't want to leave.
  My mother is getting up in years, she is terrified to die even in her bad health she wants to live.
I try and not discuss death in front of her, but it seems to come up regardless.
When I talk about my old sick dog.. panic is showing in her face.
One thing that bothers her is the thought she has no control and then to be buried and the flesh is decaying away.
I admit not a pleasant thought, now that I know the dead are dead until Resurrection the fear is less but there still.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »

Hi Heidi,

Death, it is a hard thing to comtemplate.  From our perspective we have always been alive, because we have no memory before our life began.  But yet we can realize that all people that have lived before us have faced death and only one has conquered it.  But even Jesus Christ seemed unnerved by it and prayed for that cup to pass from Him.

Mat 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You [will.]" 

But we know our God was willing to endure even death for us.

Mat 26:42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless* I drink it, Your will be done." 

This life is such a fleeting thing, really only a moment to time and of course most want to hold on to it for as long as possible. 

James 4:14 whereas you do not know what [will happen] tomorrow. For what [is] your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 

But we can not dwell on our ultimate demise in the physical, but we should think of what we can do as long as we are still alive.  Everyday is a blessing and a chance to accomplish something good and lasting beyond this physical, God willing.

John 9:4 "I* must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; [the] night is coming when no one can work. 

1Cr 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
v. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
v. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Kat,

I appreciated your thoughtful reply and would like to add just a little information that I hope will express a helpful point.  I don't believe that Jesus was unnerved by the thought of dying. 

I say this because I presume that he knew that he would "sleep" and be resurrected in three days.  If that knowledge was his, just as it is ours, then he truly had nothing to fear from the the fact of death.

I believe that the "manner of his death" was a logical and reasonable thing to fear and a "cup" to be avoided if possible.  Since he knew from the available scriptures and from God's spirit that his manner of dying was to be in excruciating pain and humiliation and that his mother and loved ones would suffer along with him while watching his execution and miss him terribly until they learned that he was alive again.

I just think that it limits Jesus' understanding to believe that he was afraid to die and go to be with the Father who loved him.

Respectfully offered, Bob

frecklegirl417

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:17:36 AM »

Heidi and to all my brothers and sisters,

During all my medical problems in the last month I was terrified I was going to die and was afraid of leaving my wonderful husband behind and my mother. I was afraid I think of mostly leaving them alone. When I was going through these trials I kept asking our heavenly Father why now? What did i do so wrong for you to do this now? I really had to pray and listen to my heart and hear God speak to me. I know it sounds really off the wall but I could feel all of you that prayed for me there in my hospital room with me telling me it was going to be okay and I was going to make it through.
     Through all of this I learned that no matter what God's plan is for us we will always be afraid of the unknown and should TRY and accept what lays ahead. I am always afraid of dying, but for me it is mostly dying alone. I know now that no matter when or how I will never be truly alone.

Your young sister in Christ, Pam

aqrinc

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 02:32:51 AM »

Heidi,

The only advise i could give is be always doing what is your first Commission: 1. Love God with all your Heart
and Mind and 2: Love your neighbor as yourself.
Doing this all the time you will have no time to be fearful of
dying as Jesus Christ Will then Be Working In you Fulltime. Put these together and no power or principality
of this world will have any sway over you.

Peace, Love and Trust Sister,

george.

Heidi

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 05:45:31 AM »

I have been away from my computer for the day and when I logged in now I saw all the emailed responses to my post.  Thank you all for replying.  I am glad now that I have asked this question because I am getting heavenly advise from all of you.  It is evident that I need not be to overly concerned about this and that God is doing a work in me that only He can complete.  The "when" and "how's" I suppose is physical only and I need to set my eyes on the spiritual.  It is my prayer to say like Paul "to live is Christ and to die is gain"

I love you all
Heidi

Ricky

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »

Hi, to me the real fear of dying is not knowing what comes next, as soon as you die, you wake up again sometime in the future standing before God. It appears that you pass from one life instantly into another, and you cant change anything, its done. And where you sit with God in the end, or when you die has already been determined from the very begining. What I really dont understand about God is how He has decieded who dies a peaceful death and who dies a violent death. Hope someone can help out with this one.
              Ricky
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

cherokee

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

Ricky you ask,
"What I really dont understand about God is how He has decieded who dies a peaceful death and who dies a violent death. Hope someone can help out with this one."

Here is what the scriptures say,
"Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:"G4381

Here is what "respecter of persons" means.
G4381
προσωπολήπτης
prosōpolēptēs
pros-o-pol-ape'-tace
From G4383 and G2983; an accepter of a face (individual), that is, (specifically) one exhibiting partiality: - respecter of persons.

Hope this helps.
A sister in Christ,
Suzie

P.S. Here is an email from Ray that should help also.

Favortism
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:11 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dear Ray,

in Acts 10: 34, Peter says that God does not show favoritism,
    yet we know He favored Abel , Joseph , Jacob , Ephraim (and some others)
    and rejected others.
    how can we be sure that God does not show favoritism?

thanx for your website.
    Sara

Dear Sara:  We need to be careful about assuming the meaning of words, and then changing them to different words.  The Scriptures say that God is no "respecter of persons."  And Strong define this as "partiality," and you then change it to "favoritism."  But aren't they all one and the same? No, there are similarities, the they are different. Surely God does not respect a one person over another because of some inherent goodness of one over the other. But that does not mean that He does not "favor" one over the other, He does. "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."   Where there something about the person of Jacob that God liked better than Esau?  No, God made that decision BEFORE THEY WERE BORN.

And so God does show favor or favoritism, but it is not based on "partiality" or "respecting of persons."  God's "Elect" are the ones He has "favored," and that is how Strong defines "elect."  So God chooses and blesses different people at different times according to His purpose, but none of it is based on any "respect" that God has toward one person over another.

God be with you,
    Ray

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:16:49 AM by Suzie »

indianabob

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

Thanks Suzie,

Very appropriate selection from Ray's responses.
"God's elect are favored" and not more deserving of unmerited grace
Bob

Ricky you ask,
"What I really dont understand about God is how He has decieded who dies a peaceful death and who dies a violent death. Hope someone can help out with this one."

Here is what the scriptures say,
"Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:"G4381

Here is what "respecter of persons" means.
G4381
προσωπολήπτης
prosōpolēptēs
pros-o-pol-ape'-tace
From G4383 and G2983; an accepter of a face (individual), that is, (specifically) one exhibiting partiality: - respecter of persons.

Hope this helps.
A sister in Christ,
Suzie

P.S. Here is an email from Ray that should help also.

Favortism
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:11 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dear Ray,

in Acts 10: 34, Peter says that God does not show favoritism,
    yet we know He favored Abel , Joseph , Jacob , Ephraim (and some others)
    and rejected others.
    how can we be sure that God does not show favoritism?

thanx for your website.
    Sara

Dear Sara:  We need to be careful about assuming the meaning of words, and then changing them to different words.  The Scriptures say that God is no "respecter of persons."  And Strong define this as "partiality," and you then change it to "favoritism."  But aren't they all one and the same? No, there are similarities, the they are different. Surely God does not respect a one person over another because of some inherent goodness of one over the other. But that does not mean that He does not "favor" one over the other, He does. "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."   Where there something about the person of Jacob that God liked better than Esau?  No, God made that decision BEFORE THEY WERE BORN.

And so God does show favor or favoritism, but it is not based on "partiality" or "respecting of persons."  God's "Elect" are the ones He has "favored," and that is how Strong defines "elect."  So God chooses and blesses different people at different times according to His purpose, but none of it is based on any "respect" that God has toward one person over another.

God be with you,
    Ray

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.