bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bible Question for the Forum  (Read 7104 times)

Decky

Bible Question for the Forum
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new bible, as my old KJV Life Application Study bible(Full of commentaries that I either crossed out or wrote my own commentary next to the blatant lies), is on its last legs. I don't own a Rotherham's or a Concordant Literal, but I am thinking about one of them, and I wanted to get some feedback as to which one anyone would recommend. I also have been doing some looking into of the Companion Bible by E.W. Bullinger, and whether anyone can tell me if they have one of those, and what they think about it.

Thanks

EKnight

Re: Bible Question for the Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:46:02 PM »

This is what ray had to say on the subject

http://bible-truths.com/bible.htm

Eileen

Heidi

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »

Hi there Deckby,

Before I am going to purchase any bibles I thought I would see the ones on the internet and which one appeals the most to me.  Also here is an emailed response from Ray regarding the very same question.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7811.0.html

Is there any Study Bible you might recommend?

Thank You!

Richard

Dear Richard:  Sorry, no. The most beneficial Bible Study Aid next to Strong's and Wigrams' is a bible with a good "center reference."  It has taken students of the Scriptures 2000 years to formulate these references, and they are very helpful.
God be with you,
Ray

Here is the web address for some of the sites, you can also find more of this info on the BT site -
forums.bible-truths.com >  > Introductions, Announcements, and More of Ray's Teachings > Forum Indexes & Info

1.  Concordant Literal Version (CLV): complete with Old and New testaments for download, just unzip it and copy it into your "c:\Program Files\e-Sword" folder.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/fda2551f-b10e-464e-9d77-226836b3e9a8/clv.zip

2.  The Blue Letter Bible Institute: For every verse, see the interlinear Hebrew / Greek (including the Septuagint), nine English translations plus the Latin Vulgate.  Dictionaries and Map / Images Library.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

Love
Heidi

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »

Hi Decky,

Eileen's suggestion is good, check out Ray's comments. I have found that the NKJV Large print is a very good
study Bible. You may want to check the links Kat sent to you on joining and get esword. It is one tool worth
its weight in Saints.

george.

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »

esword is so awesome for study!
They have many bibles online on there site.
I also have Concordant and Rotherhams in esword.
Also the Emphatic Diaglott is free online.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Samson

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »

Hi Decky,

It's interesting that you ask this, because I was asking Joe Hillsbororiver the same thing yesterday, it's Deja Vu,  ;), just kidding.

I asked him, If I had to choose between Rotherhams, Concordant Literal, Youngs Literal
              Translation or The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, he suggested ROTHERHAMS with
              a center concordance and footnotes at bottom.

Actually my Large Print New World Translation with Concordance, Appendix with Footnotes
              would be alright if they had Age and Eonian instead of Everlasting or Forever in the New Testament. Also they put " All sorts of " at 1 Tim. 4:10 & 1 Tim. 2:3,4 instead of " all ". In the Old
                Testament they render Ohlam " time indefinite ", which is acceptable. They have Hades,
                Gehenna & Tartarus in the New Testament instead of Hell, Hell-fire.

So, other than the " All sorts of " and Everlasting, it's an okay Translation, but I'm tired of
                 seeing forever,everlasting and eternal and " All sorts of " so I'll probably look into purchasing
                 a ROTHERHAMS, as Joe suggested.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Amrhrasach

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »

Hi Decky,

It's interesting that you ask this, because I was asking Joe Hillsbororiver the same thing yesterday, it's Deja Vu,  ;), just kidding.

I asked him, If I had to choose between Rotherhams, Concordant Literal, Youngs Literal
              Translation or The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, he suggested ROTHERHAMS with
              a center concordance and footnotes at bottom.

Actually my Large Print New World Translation with Concordance, Appendix with Footnotes
              would be alright if they had Age and Eonian instead of Everlasting or Forever in the New Testament. Also they put " All sorts of " at 1 Tim. 4:10 & 1 Tim. 2:3,4 instead of " all ". In the Old
                Testament they render Ohlam " time indefinite ", which is acceptable. They have Hades,
                Gehenna & Tartarus in the New Testament instead of Hell, Hell-fire.

So, other than the " All sorts of " and Everlasting, it's an okay Translation, but I'm tired of
                 seeing forever,everlasting and eternal and " All sorts of " so I'll probably look into purchasing
                 a ROTHERHAMS, as Joe suggested.

Kind Regards, Samson.

"he suggested ROTHERHAMS with a center concordance and footnotes at bottom."

With a "center concordance"..........?      I've looked online for this particular hard cover copy that includes the center, but haven't located one.    The only I can find has the footnotes section, but no center reference.

If anyone could point me to a web address bookstore that has the Rotherham's with the center reference and the footnotes, I would certainly appreciate it.

Gary

smeacham

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

I love my wide-margin NIV with center references.  No commentary, beyond the standard NIV translators' footnotes.  Plenty of room to write my own commentary and notes.  The center references are exactly what Ray refers to in above.  Did I say that I love it?

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Margin-Reference-Black-Calfskin-NIVWM207/dp/0521508797

Steve

jeetkunejimi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:24:43 PM »

Hi Decky,
              I have found Rotherham's Emphasized bIble and the Emphatic Diaglott to be both very useful to me, but I find the NCLT the easiest to read, chapter after chapter, it just flows nicely. However if it's a buget purchase I would go for the Rotherham's as it has the Old Testament in it of course. My wife has a Young's Literal Translation but to me it's difficult to get on with because it reads like a 1611KJV.

Hope that helps. I have heard through my brother-in-law that the concordant literal publishers are currently working on an Old Testament version, don't know if  it's finished yet, but if its as good as CLNT then I'll be getting it. The site is below.

http://www.concordant.org
Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

kenny

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »

decky
2Cr 3:3 [Forasmuch as ye are] manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. 
this one is a good one, but it is free, it has already been paid for, and if the life application bible has been watering those fleshy tables (last leg) it that would be a good one to purchase even if it does have cemetaries, i prefer the cheap award bibles (NLT) that way when i run across some that needs one it becomes thiers, with all the highlites, underlines and side notes, 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.