bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lead us not into temptation??  (Read 4972 times)

winner08

lead us not into temptation??
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »

Luke 11:4 and lead us not into temptation. but deliever us from evil. I know there is a scripture that says God does not tempt us. I should say I think there is a scripture that says this. Why does it seem to contradict? God's Word does not contradict. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:05:15 PM by winner08 »

Richard D

Re: lead us not into temptation??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

Hi Darren.

Yes, its true that God cannot be tempted and does don’t temp anyone, I don’t see a contradiction if we pray not to be tempted as God does not tempt and praying not to be tempted seem to be in harmony.

This is my thoughts on it.

In God’s Love. Richard.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »

Hi Darren,

Ray explains about this very thing in the article 'Praying By God's Rules.'

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm -----------------

"And lead us not into temptation…"

Can this statement be true? Doesn’t the Scripture declare:

"…for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts He any man" (James 1:13)?

So why should we pray that God will "lead us NOT into temptation?" Good question.

In addition, we have this apparent contradiction regarding our Lord;

"Then was Jesus led up of THE SPIRIT into the wilderness TO BE TEMPTED of the devil" (Matt. 4:1).

Are not these Scriptures contradictory? I’ll admit it takes some careful consideration to untangle this apparent enigma. Here are the facts:

Temptation has always been associated with the work of Satan throughout the Bible. Beginning with mother Eve, then Jesus, Paul, James, Peter, and John, we have ample testimony concerning the beguiling deceitfulness of Satan.

While it is true that "…God cannot be tempted with evil, neither temps He any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed" (James 1:13-14), we must also consider that wherever temptation is, there also is Satan:

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise… And the woman said [to God] The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat" (Gen. 3:6 & 13).

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ" (II Cor. 11:3).

"Then was Jesus led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil… All these things will I [Satan] give you [Jesus], if you will fall down and worship me" (Matt. 4:1 & 9).

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts [desires, temptations] of your father ye will do…" (John 8:44).

"Be sober; be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion walks about, seeking whom he may devour [swallow down]" (I Pet. 5:08).

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world…" (Rev. 12:9).

Satan, not God is the great tempter, and he has temped and deceived the whole world. But here is where God does come in. After we are tempted of Satan, God is our Redeemer:

"And the servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing [correcting] those that oppose themselves; if God peradvanture will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; and that they may recover themselves [‘…but deliver us from the wicked one’ Matt. 6:13] out of the snare [Gk: ‘trap, temptation’] of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will" (II Tim. 2:24-26).

"For THINE is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen"
------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 11:09:02 PM by Kat »

winner08

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »

please understand this:  I never said I thought it was a contradiction. I said it seems to be a contradiction. I don't want to have my words misinterpited. It seems to happen quite often when I post.  I probable don't do a good enough job expressing my meannings.

Richard D

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »

Hi Darren.

I read what you wrote and never said you said it was a contradiction, it was just the way I express what I was thinking on the matter saying what you said what seems to be a contradiction did not seem a contradiction to me.

I did not misinterpret what you said or put any words in your mouth. And no Darren I’m not offended at your response to my response and just wanted to make that known so you know, so no one becomes offended my brother.

In God’s Love. Richard.

winner08

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »

OK thanks. just for the record I never said that you thought I said it was a contradiction. Non offence here or there. With lots of love and feelings ;)

Darren

Marlene

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:59 AM »

Darren, I love you and enjoy many of your post. I am positive we all love one another. Yes, this is sometimes a hard way to express ourselves. But, I am sure we would not trade this for the world. Its awesome to have this fellowship. What an amazing God we have. We are so blessed to have Ray and all of our Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

In His Love,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.