bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Observation  (Read 4595 times)

Ninny

An Observation
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »

I was thinking about patience and something from several years ago came to mind. I'm not really a football fan, but sometime back in the '80's when my sons were young teenagers they were watching a game with my husband. I don't know who was playing, but Vinnie Testaverdi (don't know how to spell his name) was a new player. He made some kind of really dumb mistake in the game the boys were like "Oh man! what was he thinking?!"  I heard my really NOT PATIENT husband say to his sons and I think of this any time I start losing my patience with one of my grand kids, he said "Now if the coach is smart he'll be careful how he deals with this, if he handles it right he can make a pretty good player out of him."

About 2 months after this he was teaching our older son how to drive. He had a little Mazda pickup. Well the younger son was standing in the doorway watching as his brother put the truck in reverse, he backed straight into a little tree! The son in the house said, "Oh, man I hope dad remembers about Vinnie Testaverdi! Ha! Well that little truck kept that dented in bumper for the whole 200,000 miles my husband owned it! And let me tell you both of my sons learned a lesson that summer! Their dad took the responsibility for the incident saying that he didn't tell him what to do when he took his foot off the clutch!
Both of our sons are now great dads who spend lots of time with their kids. I see them get a little annoyed with their kids at times, but patience usually wins out! (they are both pretty good drivers, too ;D)

If we are careful with our words we can make a difference in a young life.
Blessings!
Kathy :)

Heidi

Re: An Observation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 04:09:37 AM »

That is such a good life's lesson your husband taught the kids.....and when he had to practise what he preached, he did not disappoint your kids......it is called "walk the talk and talk the walk.  Thanks for sharing this, I found it very uplifting.

Vangie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

Kathy,
What a great story.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Patience is one of the traits I find furthest from my grasp it seems.  That was such an encouragment to stay the course. 

Thanks again,
Vangie

Richard D

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »

Hi Kathy

Thanks for sharing that experience between your husband and son with us. Patients is something we can never stop learning no matter what age we are.

I equate the lack of patience with self centeredness and the degree of one’s self centeredness is in proportion to their lack of patience.

And also as one becomes God centered the greater one’s patience also becomes. This is my experience when it comes to patience.

Now we should start a thread about the give me generation……………..LOL

In God’s Love. Richard.

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »

Patience really is a virtue, it is only exercised in the most trying times. Most times we do not even think
about the need for Patience. One of the most invisible but powerful traits to develop is patience.

There are at least 33 different Scriptures in the new Testament on Patience; i list a few below.

Luke 8:15:
But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring
forth fruit with patience.

Romans 5:3:
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation works patience;

Romans 8:25:
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Romans 15:4:
For whatsoever things were written in old times were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort
of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 15:5:
Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

Hebrews 12:1:
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight,
and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

In Patient Love,

george.

dogcombat

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »

Very IN-TERRRR-ES-STINGK!  (all you Arte Johnson "Laugh In" fans know what I mean ;))

Considering that, early in his career, folks found out Vinny Testeverde was COLORBLIND.  That made him suddenly an "OVERRATED, OVERHYPED" Heismann winner.  Ah, yes Patience is a virtue.

Ches

Ninny

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:15:49 PM »

Ha! Ches I told you I didn't know much about football! That's funny! Do you have to see colors to play football?  ??? As long as you know your teams faces or backsides whichever you see the most of :D
I know my husband would shake his head in disbelief at what I just asked, but you never know!  ::)
Who on here is even OLD enough to remember Laugh In  ??? AHa ha ha! (you know, my Phylis Diller laugh) ;)
It's 9 am here, it is too early for this stuff! ;D ;D ;D
Kathy :)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »

Good thread guys (even though I am just now reading it.)  I know that alot of ppl choose to not home school due to having a lack of patience, but I chose to homeschool knowing that it would be a challenge, trial and growth process for me to have to work very hard to ensure that I am the patient one, unfortunately, it doesn't always occur as often as I would like (I am with my DS 24/7 and both of us need a break at times...thank goodness for co-ops too.)  There are the times in my life that I have noticed that I have had the great patience (of Job) and yet when one would think that I should have become a master at 'patience', then I fail miserably...I surprise myself and disappoint myself...yearning for the time when I will become as patient as I once used to be ...  I guess the different types trials in life is what makes for weather I have more patience or less at different times?  Patience seems so fleeting at times though.  I will work harder today to not lose my patience... ;)   ;)

blessngs,
Susan

Ninny

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »

Thanks Susan!
You mentioned home schooling. I home schooled my sons through middle school and high school! Kind of an awkward time to homeschool, but it was like 20 years ago it was kind of new then and believe me at that time patience was definitely a virtue needed! ;) My sons were really good though and I have never regretted doing it! We had great fun with home schooling!
Blessings to you!
Kathy :D

EKnight

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »

Oh darn Ninny,  I wish I had read your post last night before I totally lost my patience with my oldest son.  I told my husband tonight that I could have made my point better if I had calmly stated my disapproval.  I didn't.  Better luck next time Eileen!!!! >:(

Eileen

Ninny

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:52:25 AM »

Oh yeah, wouldn't we do so many things differently if we only had thought about it at the time! :D
I guess we just let our emotions get the better of us at times.  I remember when my oldest son was 3 he was a real challenge! ( I have learned since then that ALL 3 year olds are a challenge!) He kept running and running and laughing and I was trying to talk to him! He was actually being naughty, but he  just thought he was being 3! :o I remember grabbing his little arm and stopping him in his tracks. I had my talk with him and he ran on to play, later that afternoon I was changing his shirt and there on his little skinny arm were perfect imprint of my fingers! :'( :'( I cried and cried.

My son is 36 now and I have never forgotten that. of course he never remembered it at all. When I first saw his arm I said ''what happened to your arm?" He didn't know! When it dawned on me that the bruises were from me I was sick. Even though the bruises were light and were barely there the next day it didn't change the fact that I had done it! :(

The things we can do if we let our guard down for a moment! I guess I'm trying to say that patience is kind of hard to obtain, it's right there, but it's fragile you know? We learn it over time or God teaches it to us over time, I only know that I am a lot more patient than I used to be! :D
Well, there you have it, we ALL lose it with our kids at times, good thing they love us,huh?
Kathy :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.