bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pillar of Salt  (Read 9718 times)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Pillar of Salt
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

I usually don’t post long topics but I believe this is worthy of thought!

Gen 19:24  Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
Gen 19:25  And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
Gen 19:26  But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
Gen 19:27  And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the LORD:
Gen 19:28  And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
Gen 19:29  And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.

Luk 17:28  Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
Luk 17:29  But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Luk 17:30  Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.
Luk 17:31  In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
Luk 17:32  Remember Lot's wife.
Luk 17:33  Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

H5333
נצב    נציב
netsîyb  netsib
nets-eeb', nets-eeb'
From H5324; something stationary, that is, a prefect, a military post, a statue: - garrison, officer, pillar.

1Ti 3:15  But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Rev 3:12  Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

H4417
מלח
melach
meh'-lakh
From H4414; properly powder, that is, (specifically) salt (as easily pulverized and dissolved): - salt ([-pit]).

Mat 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

Mar 9:49  For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
Mar 9:50  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

Here is my question with all these in mind:
Is becoming a pillar of salt a result of judgement?
Lot’s wife looked back
She returned back
Fire and brimstone had to have rained upon her too
The result: a pillar of salt.
It would seem that according to a few scriptures a pillar is a good thing to be.
It would seem that according to a few scriptures that salt is a good thing to be.

Help me with my understanding.
I believe this all ties into together with judgement and returning again to the world
Also mentioned in Joe’s thread about  “Ever Notice”

Antaiwan

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

aqrinc

Re: Pillar of Salt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:36 PM »

Antaiwan,

This is one for more prepared members than i am currently; I am reading the below now also.

Here are some threads: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.msg53239.html#msg53239

Another thread from the past: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,594.0.html

Another: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8425.0.html

george.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:10:28 AM by aqr »

Akira329

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:50 PM »

Hey George
I don't understand what you posted
One of the links I've checked before concerning pillar of salt. It kind of left the discussion open I believe.
I'm just trying to understand if Lot's wife becoming a pillar of salt has any significance.

Antaiwan

-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:09:49 AM »

Antaiwan,

On short notice i passed the information concerning salt and pillar of salt that i could find on the forum.
As i wrote:

Antaiwan,

This is one for more prepared members than i am currently; I am reading the below now also.

Here are some threads: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.msg53239.html#msg53239

Another thread from the past: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,594.0.html

Another: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8425.0.html

george.

Martinez

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:58:37 AM »

This is scripture but it's just some observations that I've made while thinking about salt.

Salt comes from the sea, which in scripture is symbolic for secular humanity (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

To make salt you have to get sea water and get rid of the water componet by exposing it to the sun (Son)

Sea water is pretty useless by itself, but if you evaporate the water you can use the salt for adding flavour and preserving food.

I know it's not much but I hope it maybe helps a bit.

Akira329

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

Hey George
I saw that Mark 9:49 is spurious, but it seems to fit well in the scheme of things.
Though I believe its not ever needed to prove what salt is and its function spiritually speaking.

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus

mharrell08

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »

Gen. 19:26  Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;

Rev. 14:10  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Rev. 19:20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

The fire and brimstone that rained upon Sodom & Gomorrah was a shadow/type of the judgment upon the wicked in the lake of fire [Please see LOF series #6 for more detailed explanation (http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html)]. And what does the scripture state about spiritual Sodom & her sisters after this judgment of fire & brimstone?

Ezekial 16:55  When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.

Now regarding Lot's wife, Antaiwan showed something that I never knew before. I was always under the assumption that Lot's wife merely turned herself around to only 'look' at the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah. And I would always wonder what was her intent? Was it an act of mercy or an act of contempt similar to the Jonah with the city of Ninevah [Jonah Ch. 4]? But what saith the Lord?

Luk 17:31  In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
Luk 17:32  Remember Lot's wife.
Luk 17:33  Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

As well as:

Luke 9:61-62  And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Our Lord says in Luke 17, do not RETURN. The young man who inquired about being a disciple did not just wish to 'look' back to bid farewell. He wanted to RETURN. And as with Lot's wife, she RETURNED to Sodom & Gomorrah, not simply 'looked back'. Ray speaks on 'looking back' at the end of his LOF #14 paper and there he speaks on 'looking back' seeing the beast and repenting. Our Lord speaks of Lot's wife as one seeking to 'save' her life and she ended up 'losing it'.

With all of that in mind, being made into a pillar of salt is also a shadow/type of what comes of those after the Great White Throne of Judgment. After being spiritually purged in fire and brimstone, as Lot's wife, made into a pillar of salt. As such, Ray has detailed papers explaining how the fiery trials that start with the House of God now, is the same fire for those in judgment as they both ultimately produce the same results: Change! [LOF #16-D4 http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm] So we, us right now, are being purged, cleansed and made into 'pillars of salt'. Antaiwan posted scriptures which show in great detail how we are the salt of the earth as well as a soon to be position of a pillar of the temple of God.

Mods, please pardon me if this is borderline or just blantant teaching as I tried to stay on course with what Ray has shown in the LOF series though he has not covered Lot's wife in great detail. I would understand if this needed to be removed.

Thanks,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »

Hi Marques,

Sounds like some pretty sound reasoning to me  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »

Marques,

Thanks for the expo, i will read more on these things. The LOF series does have an amazing amount of
Scriptures that address this subject directly and indirectly. Please do not ask me for what and where in
the LOF, i have only gone through most of it once and some places several times

Learning and Loving it,

george.

Akira329

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »

Marques I'm glad you mentioned about the teaching, I was scared to post this in that my words might come across that way.
But what better place to go to for understanding than among my fellow brethren who practice sound words.
The scriptures you posted help a lot!!
And your explanation was a lot better than I could express.

Rodger the scriptures you posted tells me the exact reason why Lot's wife returned!!
All her treasures were earthly and she sought to save them!! Thanks for showing that!
I love how all these scriptures tie in together!!
I've been trying to find this scripture, Deuteronomy 29:23 that you quoted!
Thank you guys for helping me to understand.

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus

hammerandnails

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »

Dear Antaiwan,
interesting subject!

But I have a question.
I read several times Gen.19 and I couldn't find where in this chapter says that Lot's wife RETURNED.
But I found that she 'looked back from behind him."
Can you please direct me where it says the she returned?
May be I missed it.

Thanks.
Ariel

Ninny

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »

Ariel, I can't find returned either. Maybe it implies that she returned in her heart. the description means to look after longingly or with respect, I think. Maybe that's what he meant by returned maybe Ray says that somewhere, I don't know.  I have often wondered why she was turned into a pillar of salt and not just destroyed like struck down or whatever. I wonder if it was to be a reminder to them. But wouldn't a pillar of salt erode away after awhile? It's all a little confusing if you think about it!  ???
Kathy :)

Marlene

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »

Hi All, This makes me think. We must never look back. Once, we know the truth. We would be worse off then we were before. I hope that someday I can read some of these hard to understand scriptures and relate them how they are meant to be.

In His Love,
Marlene

Martinez

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 06:38:34 PM »

Hi All, This makes me think. We must never look back. Once, we know the truth. We would be worse off then we were before. I hope that someday I can read some of these hard to understand scriptures and relate them how they are meant to be.

In His Love,
Marlene

Hi Marlene!

Personally I don't know how anyone could look back on the church with longing.
That would be like going back into captivity after being set free, although apparently this what the Israelites did after God bought them out of Egypt.

This is what Christ had to say about it.

Luk 9:61  And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
Luk 9:62  And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Ninny

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »

Martin, I think Israel really is a picture of the human condition. I mean we are NEVER satisfied. We complain and bellyache about everything! God opens one door and we complain because it isn't working out just the way we want. We get a good paying job but the hours are too long, we get a new house but the carpet is the wrong color waa, waa, waa! HOW does God put up with us? ??? Israel kept looking longingly back to Egypt saying "Well at least we had plenty to eat, etc, etc."  :'(  They were such babies it's a testament to God's patience, I tell you!  :D It is no wonder to me why God drags us around so much! We repeat the same mistakes over and over again!  :( Just like the Children of Israel going around the mountain for forty years when they could have gotten to the promised land in what? Two weeks?  :o

I don't understand the whole thing about turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt! Why? ???
Well I'm not smart enough to figure it out! :D I guess as with everything else I just don't stop to consider all the circumstances! Was God saying "This is why you must keep your eyes on me and never turn your heart away and long for what you once had, look toward what I am leading you to, now."? It is a question to me, but I'm sure the answer is here somewhere! :D
No help at all!

Ninny

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 12:54:25 AM »

Yes Rodger, I do see that! It is in the turning back with longing that is the return I see it. :D ;D
It's funny I hadn't considered that until today! I'm telling you, you learn something new everyday! ;)
Ariel do you see where he got that she returned? Yes it was in her mind and in her heart!
Love you all!

Akira329

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 05:59:13 AM »

Hey Guys thanks for the help!!
The Scriptures you all gave greatly added to my understanding of this.
I believe my question has been answered! :D  "Pillar of Salt A Result of Judgement?"
I hope Ray Discusses this further one day in the future :)
Though I think he's covered it quite well without mentioning Lot's Wife.

-Rev 1:11  Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

-Rev 2:7  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

-Rev 2:11  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

-Rev 2:17  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

-Rev 2:26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27  And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my        Father.
Rev 2:28  And I will give him the morning star.

-Rev 3:5  He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

-Rev 3:12  Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

-Rev 3:21  To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Its all One!
I love this! ;D

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus

hammerandnails

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »

Hello,
Antaiwan

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that Luke22 is the spiritual match of Gen. 19 (the scripture that you had the question on)

I believe is Philippians 3:3-16

I give a hint: think about key words such as:
1. behind (notice that the wife was behind Lot)
2. looking forward
3. high calling
4. servant
5. Zoar (which in hebrew means insignificant)
6. Lot (which in heb. means covering, and in gk. means veil, flesh)
7. pillar (that word means pillar alright, but not pillar as a support, but pillar as protection)
8. salt (did you know that there is a "covenant of salt)
9. wife (means adulteress)(think about it as the whorish part of the flesh)
10. Lastly, notice that in Ge. 13, God did not make the promise known to Abram, until he was separated from Lot(flesh)
     and then and only then he changed his name. Think in terms like Abram was the spirit, and Lot was the flesh.

I look forward to your response.
Lot's of practical wisdom there. ;D

Shalom
Ariel :-*

Akira329

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Hello,
Antaiwan

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that Luke22 is the spiritual match of Gen. 19 (the scripture that you had the question on)

I believe is Philippians 3:3-16

I give a hint: think about key words such as:
1. behind (notice that the wife was behind Lot)
2. looking forward
3. high calling
4. servant
5. Zoar (which in hebrew means insignificant)
6. Lot (which in heb. means covering, and in gk. means veil, flesh)
7. pillar (that word means pillar alright, but not pillar as a support, but pillar as protection)
8. salt (did you know that there is a "covenant of salt)
9. wife (means adulteress)(think about it as the whorish part of the flesh)
10. Lastly, notice that in Ge. 13, God did not make the promise known to Abram, until he was separated from Lot(flesh)
     and then and only then he changed his name. Think in terms like Abram was the spirit, and Lot was the flesh.

I look forward to your response.
Lot's of practical wisdom there. ;D

Shalom
Ariel :-*

Hey Ariel!
I never said Luke Chapter 22 was a spiritual match for Genesis 19
I'm pretty sure no one even mentioned that chapter on this thread.

I think I understand why you mentioned Philippians 3:3-16
Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:21  Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
This is also a result of Judgement
1Pe 4:17  For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Again it seems to be all one thing as Ray has pointed out several times.

Ariel,
What lead me to even ask this question was the judgment on Sodom And Gomorrah and all the cities of the plains.
Judgment has a purpose
Luk 17:29  But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Luk 17:30  Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Eze 16:53  When I shall bring again their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters, and the captivity of Samaria and her daughters, then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them:
Eze 16:54  That thou mayest bear thine own shame, and mayest be confounded in all that thou hast done, in that thou art a comfort unto them.
Eze 16:55  When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.

Another result of judgment.

This is what I see and gleem from scriptures and the help of Ray's teachings.
A piller of salt seems to be another ingredient in the cake.

As for your keyword list, I not sure I quite understand where your going or what your trying to say?
I knew what those words meant before I posted this thread.
I think it would help if you explained......?

Antaiwan

-Albert Einstein
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.