bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasonal Affective Disorder  (Read 8138 times)

Samson

Seasonal Affective Disorder
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

Hello Forum Members,

As all of you are aware, the clocks are turned back an hour, the
                                days are getting progressively shorter, the intensity from the Sun
                                is getting gradually weaker, lacking the full spectrum of lights.

Generally speaking, this transitional period(Mid-Oct thru the End of Dec)
                                is not good for me and many others. Strength and Endurance levels decrease,
                                varying degree's of lethargy, hopelessness, an " I don't care or screw it attitude,
                                can lead to varying degree's of Depression and an " I don't care to argue attitude.

Back in 1994, I experienced a Major Depression, extreme crying spells, crying so
                                hard that my head would actually ache from it, this went on for 3 months,
                                landing me a trip to the Mental health Ward of an area Hospital. Some might
                                reason that an excessive amount Life's problems, mostly of the family related
                                type was the catalyst that lead to Major Depression and they would be certainly
                                right as to that being a factor.

However, 1993-1994(Winter) was the year in the Northeast where we had snow
                                followed by ice followed by snow on a weekly basis beginning in Early January
                                and ending in Early April. There were very few days of direct sunlight during that
                                time period as some of you might remember and it was very cold, too.

Of course through the direction of Orthodox Medicine, I followed the typical
                                protocol: Lithium(A Mood Stabilizer), Paxil(An Anti-Depressive) and Xanax( An
                                Anti Anxiety Medication) and the encouragement from the Medical Profession
                                to minimize unnecessary Stressors, an almost improbable task at best. So, after
                                walking around as a tired Zombie for almost a year(from the Medication), I
                                finally decided to bag this Medical approach.

None of the comments from the above paragraph is meant to offend Orthodox
                                Medicine, as I find it has value in different areas and for a variety of reasons.
                                Although, I do prefer Alternative Approaches to Mental and Emotional Well-Being.
                                And since my Emotional Wellness is at stake and it's affect on Loved ones, I
                                prefer the approach that's listed below.

A Full SPECTRUM OF LIGHT desk lamp that provides that full spectrum of lights
                                that the Sun would otherwise not provide during the Late Fall Winter Months. An
                                exposure of 15-30 minutes in the Morning and another 15-30 minutes at around
                                2:30 PM, after my nap and prior to going to work. Also the Supplement St. Johns
                                Wort, three times a day, at dosages of 500mg. Add to that the B-Complex, 50-100
                                mg's of all (Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyrodoxine HCL, that's B-6, B-12,
                                Pantothenic Acid, Choline Inositol, Biotin, folic acid and PABA. Vitamin C aids
                                in the utilization of the B Vitamins. As some of you know, the B Vitamins help
                                with Stress and Energy levels. Obviously, if your tired, the stresses of life
                                bother you more and it's more difficult to cope with them.

The Physical affects the Pyschological and the Pyschological affects the Physical.
                                 And all of this may affect the Spiritual. Increasing ones Calsium and Vitamin D
                                 intake also helps the Central Nervous System and SAD sufferers.

Below is a Link that gives information on SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER.

Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your comments are anticipated and greatly appreciated, even the Humorous
                                  ones, LONGHORN AND MUSICMAN. Although, on a more serious note, this
                                  condition for those who suffer from it, including myself, is no laughing matter.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Ninny

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »

Samson,
I am glad you're trying to go the alternative route rather than take all the drugs! I would do that myself if I needed to. Growing up in Arizona and living for the past 27 years in south AL you don't get deprived of sunlight too often! We lived in Washington State (Tacoma) for three years and it was pretty gloomy up there most of the year. My kids were babies then and I didn't have much time for depression, but I do remember missing the sun in Arizona! I agree totally with the full spectrum light, there are lots of benefits in natural light.
I will be praying that everything goes well for you! Let us know if the natural way works better. It could be beneficial and important for someone else!
Prayers for you and Pam!
Kathy :)

Longhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »

When were we supossed to turn our clocks backwards?  Yall need to start sending me private warning messages about all this stuff.  No wonder my rooster Ajax keeps crowing at 4:30 am instead of 5:30 am.  Now Im all confused, Im gonna have to reset my sundial, wake up from my nap at 10:30 am, and,  oh never mind, I have a busy day today, and then I have to get my next door neighbor Robert Allman to give me a ride into town on his new John Deer tractor toomorrow morning so we can vote for the next president of the great USA.  Ronald Reagan.   Still trying to figure out that Fall forward, Spring to the side, Spring up, slide back,,, Yall figure that stuff out,  I'll be lucky if I get all these critters fed tonight.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Samson

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »

Samson,
I am glad you're trying to go the alternative route rather than take all the drugs! I would do that myself if I needed to. Growing up in Arizona and living for the past 27 years in south AL you don't get deprived of sunlight too often! We lived in Washington State (Tacoma) for three years and it was pretty gloomy up there most of the year. My kids were babies then and I didn't have much time for depression, but I do remember missing the sun in Arizona! I agree totally with the full spectrum light, there are lots of benefits in natural light.
I will be praying that everything goes well for you! Let us know if the natural way works better. It could be beneficial and important for someone else!
Prayers for you and Pam!

Kathy(Ninny),

I neglected to mention that I've been following this protocol for three years.
                         So, to answer your question, everything is much better, of course it's not
                         fool proof, the lack of light affect is still there, but it's greatly minimized.

Thankyou, for your thoughts and comments, time to move down south,
                          after both Daughters pass eighteen, very soon,  ;D

Kind Regards, Samson.

Samson

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

When were we supossed to turn our clocks backwards?  Yall need to start sending me private warning messages about all this stuff.  No wonder my rooster Ajax keeps crowing at 4:30 am instead of 5:30 am.  Now Im all confused, Im gonna have to reset my sundial, wake up from my nap at 10:30 am, and,  oh never mind, I have a busy day today, and then I have to get my next door neighbor Robert Allman to give me a ride into town on his new John Deer tractor toomorrow morning so we can vote for the next president of the great USA.  Ronald Reagan.   Still trying to figure out that Fall forward, Spring to the side, Spring up, slide back,,, Yall figure that stuff out,  I'll be lucky if I get all these critters fed tonight.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

WARNING, WARNING, WHILE YOU WERE POSTING, LONGHORN WAS SNEAKING IN THERE,  ;D.
                       Dude, aren't you from Texas, where there's more light. Also, leave it to the Government to
                       to mess with clocks and add just more pressure than life already gives us. I wish they would
                       just leave those Darn Clocks alone and stop messing with our minds. It must be for our
                       Emotional and Mental training,  ::). Oh Well, I have my trusty lamp, my supplements and my coffee
                       to aid me.

Kind regards, Samson.

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »

In Arizona they ignored the idea to turn back the clocks they said "hey, if time like it is isn't good enough, well too bad 'cause we ain't changin' for no one!" So as far as I know they do not observe daylight saving time there! There is an area in Indiana where they don't do daylight saving time, either! (I think).

What's the deal with daylight savings anyway? Do we still have the same amount of daylight hours? Yes! They just change the time, so why does 6am have to be 5 am now? ??? In the Spring we still have the same number of hours of light it's just that right now at my house it would be 8 pm instead of 7 pm does that make any sense to you? ??? Oh my goodness I'm sounding more like Longhorn, I have lost touch with reality :o :o

Longhorn, my friend how long have you been asleep? Is any part of your name Van Winkle? YOU clean missed election day AND I'm sorry but Ronald Reagan is dead :'(
Don't bother Mr. Allman he's probably asleep! Spring forward (into what?) Fall back (into what?) eww watch out for critter poop!!! Ha! ;D

Watchin' for daylight!
Kathy :D

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »

Hey Samson
Is there a condition for loving the rain and snow??
I love dark dreary days of constant rain and especially blanket snow!!
It rains a lot in Atlanta but hardly snows.
Some think I'm weird, I find those days very reflective.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Samson

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »

Hi Antaiwan,

I don't know, it sounds rare indeed, perhaps it has something to do with your
                  body's ability to absorb light more easily and readily. Boy, I wish I had your
                  condition. I'm the complete opposite, weather-wise, dislike rain, unless it rains
                  at night, that's okay with me. At this time of the year, I can look right into the
                  Sun and not even wince, that applies to my full spectrum lamp, too.

On the other hand, the cold doesn't really bother me, as long as there's Sun.

Kind Regards, Samson.  ;)

Linny

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:49:18 PM »

You know Samson, I had a second grader once who suffered from this condition. We actually figured it out ourselves watching his behavior deteriorate during the winter! I don't know if it had a name back then! :-\

Sounds like a great protocol you are following.

You might want to check out mercola.com to see if he has any other suggestions if you feel like you'd like to look into more ideas. I know that he says that we need sunshine daily to keep the ole big C away.

Where are you getting your calcium and vit D? If you are increasing your dairy intake for it or buying "enriched" products, you may want to do some research on homogenized dairy and see if another approach might be more helpful.  ;)

Blessings,
Lin

Ninny

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »

Antiawan,
Do you have children? If not then that explains why you like the long dreary dark days! Have you ever been cooped up in the house with a couple of kids for more than one rainy day? One or two days is bearable, but trust me if you go beyond 2 days the walls begin to close in on you!  ;)

You bake all the cookies in the cookbook, you do all the arts and crafts you ever learned, you read every book written for kids. Before you get the mess cleaned up you hear a big crash and screaming, you run to the back of the house to find the shower curtain rod has been pulled off the wall the three year old wrapped up in the shower curtain and your 5 year old screaming, "He took my turn!!" I could go on, but I think you get my drift! Whew! after those thoughts I need a nap!! ;D
Oh yeah, now the best time for rain is at night as long as it's soft and quiet and doesn't disturb my sleep! ;D
Sweet dreams!

cjwood

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »

samson,
i and my daughter suffer from sad. eventhough we are in austin, tx the change the clock saga affects us both dramatically. she and i both prefer alternative / natural approaches to physical problems whenever possible. we both take several different supplements from natural plant/animal sources. i need to look into purchasing a full spectrum light for each of us. i have heard many good things about them.

i loved longhorns' reply to your thread. i must admit, i could picture him actually taking his clocks and turning them around to face backwards!  remember longhorn, it is "spring forward and fall back, spring forward and fall back, spring forward and fall back, cha-cha-cha". NOT "fall forward and spring back". that would be what you do after one beer too many, except for the springing back part. most likely it would be more like just "fall forward" and stay down. ok, now i have probably completely confused dear ole longhorn.

claudia

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »

Antiawan,
Do you have children? If not then that explains why you like the long dreary dark days! Have you ever been cooped up in the house with a couple of kids for more than one rainy day? One or two days is bearable, but trust me if you go beyond 2 days the walls begin to close in on you!  ;)

You bake all the cookies in the cookbook, you do all the arts and crafts you ever learned, you read every book written for kids. Before you get the mess cleaned up you hear a big crash and screaming, you run to the back of the house to find the shower curtain rod has been pulled off the wall the three year old wrapped up in the shower curtain and your 5 year old screaming, "He took my turn!!" I could go on, but I think you get my drift! Whew! after those thoughts I need a nap!! ;D
Oh yeah, now the best time for rain is at night as long as it's soft and quiet and doesn't disturb my sleep! ;D
Sweet dreams!

Hey Kathy!
No kids yet but I still look forward to having me some!! :D
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »

Hi Samson,

There is no doubt that this syndrome is real and affects some more than others, I know when I lived up in Rochester, NY that during the winter especially after January (by then it seems to drone on and on forever) when I could get down right depressed and anti social. It could have been a factor in my spiral downward into drug & booze abuse which lasted a number of years.

There would be times I would look up at that persistant steel gray sky and curse the day my Grandfather decided to move (from Palermo, Sicily) to the U.S. and settle in upstate NY of all places! Of course I was in no mood to appreciate the peasant life he had escaped and the opportunities Rochester represented in the very early 1900's. At that time Rochester was a real boom town.

It wasn't only the winter that could deflate my spirit but the incessant rains that could ruin the summer as well, I remember in 1972 it rained the entire month of July! It was then that I knew my future would be in the sunbelt, preferably in Florida near a beach, a series of events led to that dream coming true in 1977 and I have been here in Florida ever since.

Hope you are feeling well today.

Peace,

Joe

P.S. The following is a link to an article about this from the Mayo Clinic;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

Ninny

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

Hey Joe! I was reading this thread again and came across your reply. I was going to ask you if you live in FL only because I know there is a Hillsboro River and County in Florida. Is that near Tampa? I haven't been there exactly, I have been to Tampa with my husband when he used to drive an 18 wheeler. I was just curious about that. Well anyway I guess you answered my question as to whether you live in FL.  :D

Ninny

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »

Oh, Antiawan,
I do hope you have some kids they are a real joy! BUT I have found that grand kids are even more fun than your own kids because you can spoil them and you don't have to be responsible for raising them! I am only allowed to spoil my grand kids a little because their mommy and daddy are mean!!! ;) Well they always say "don't give them that candy! Don't let them wear THAT shirt! Make them take a shower when they spend the night with you! and on and on and on!! Meanies!! :P I wish I was one of those rebellious grandparents I'd let 'em do whatever they want. (Yeah right, I am too smart for that!) ;D ;D ;D
But hey, have your kids and let their grandma spoil them just a little!
Smiles,
Kathy :D

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

Hey Samson

My encounter with a ten year stint in Clinical Depression ended after I concluded that my Depression was due to belief in Babylonian false teachings! ;D :D I kid you not! The belief in a Pagan Hell really does pull out any life lines to hope! :D

The whether is also a factor. We have wonderful sunshine here in Africa! I enjoy the vivid sky's. By contrast, the grey bleak sky's of other regions around the world is a downer and I also do not enjoy that lukewarm rain that drizzles incessantly. Give me a riveting electric storm and raging wind and thunder with ice hail and rain any day. I love it except when it translates into the fire of trials and tribulations that manifest in the spiritual climate of my life. Internally and externally we have to learn to endure.

Arc
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:42:50 AM by Arcturus »

EKnight

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 01:48:10 PM »

My encounter with a ten year stint in Clinical Depression ended after I concluded that my Depression was due to belief in Babylonian false teachings! ;D :D I kid you not! The belief in a Pagan Hell really does pull out any life lines to hope! :D

True story:

Last weekend my husband said to me: "Eileen, I have a confession.  Ever since you started with this God stuff, I feel much better.  I used to get so depressed thinking about people going to hell.  I am so much happier now."

And he is not even reading this site.  Imagine what kind of transformation could occur if he did! 

Just thought I would substantiate Arcturus' comment.

Eileen

Samson

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »

Hi Eileen & Arcturus,

Your points are noted and well taken. In my case, I never believed in Eternal
                             Torment or Eternal Separation. I believed in Annihilation of the wicked & those
                              who refused to accept(Free Will) Christ's sacrifice. It's true, although a preferable
                              fate to the above, it still left many unanswered questions and a void in my life.

However, the affects of Seasonal affective Disorder is real. As an illustration,
                              in the Winter of 2005, I had a similiar, although not as severe bout with
                              Depression. There were no environmental external factors of significance
                              during that Winter, I am aware of, including the erroneous belief in Annihilation.
                              This occurred prior to Pam purchasing my Full Spectrum lamp. Since then, no
                              significant problems have taken place. One might argue that the Supplements
                              might have a Placebo effect(St. John's Wort) and I don't discount that, especially
                              after reviewing this Supplement and weighing the Pro's and Con's. My Lamp is
                              another story. Recently, I decided to give my body a full rest from all supplements
                              for 4 days, but continued my Lamp use, everything's fine. Today, I reintroduce
                              my Multiple Vitamin/Mineral, then eventually add some of the others.

ST. John's Wort is being put on hold, for the time being. In my initial Post, I
                              stated that external factors  (Stresses) definitely add to Depression, of course
                              that would include False Babylonian Beliefs that hold us in captivity. After
                              learning the Truth about Mankinds eventual Salvation in contrast with the
                              other alternatives, certainly has a Liberating and Emotionally healing affect
                              on ones overall Mental State of Mind.

I have no doubt that God's hand was involved in eventually getting this
                              Full Spectrum Lamp, especially since I new about the benefits of this Lamp
                              and neglected to do something about it. As Abraham was told to listen to
                              his wife Sarah, fortunately I listened to mine. For her sake and mine, she
                              surprised me with the purchase of this Lamp. She's a remarkable Women,
                              especially in figuring out Men and what move to make, I will do everything
                              possible to please her, it's a pleasure to be her Husband.

Kind Regards, Samson.

iris

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »

Hi Samson,

If you have any more problems with depression, you might want to try
vitamin B-6; vitamin B-12; folic acid and vitamin D3. Sometimes this helps.

Iris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.