bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shack  (Read 12113 times)

David

The Shack
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:24:59 AM »

A dear sister gave this book to me last weekend to read. She warned me what it was like but asked me to read it anyway.
On a litterary level its garbage, on a scriptural level its even worse than that. Its full of some of worst blasphemy I've ever read.
Its being hailed all over the net by Christians as being some kind of revelation thats brought them closer to God.
Its on the same level as the whole 23 minutes in hell nonsense, both in terms of its scriptural varasity and the stir its creating.
Just wondered if anyone else here had read it and what you thought of it, or if anyones heard of it.

Beloved

Re: The Shack
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:51:52 AM »

Yuk....I have not read it and after reading excerpts and the reviews I do not want to.   :P :P :P :P

I see where it is becoming a big hit by the majority of people who read it. I was very happy to see that there were some people who were able to see past all of the emotional double minded theology.

It was funny but the thing but they are touting is that book will have more impact on people today then Bunyan's , Pilgrim Progress had.

beloved

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:26:42 AM »

I haven't heard of it, but I'm willing to bet somebody in my family will get one for Christmas.  Thanks for the heads up.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:31:41 AM »

Dave

Do you mean they will buy it for you....double yuk.....that present sucks

beloved

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:06:42 AM »

Not likely for me.  But there are a number of fans of some of those other 'fictional' christian best sellers, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if somebody got one.  All I want is a spudzooka.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Beloved

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 02:17:46 AM »

All I want is a spudzooka.

Have you been a good boy this year Dave ?

You might shoot ouy your eye with it...
                 ( from The Christmas Story ....the movie with leg shaped lamp)

In case you want one of those here is a link

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/productDetails.cfm;jsessionid=2a303038a4ac563f6a7fTR?merchID=3&showDescription=yes&CFID=377870&CFTOKEN=81127907

neloved

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »

Oh my...I just HAD to read some of the replies to that blog review, didn't I?  I'd like to shoot my eye out right about now.  One set concerned that it doesn't mention Hell, one set concerned with holding to Orthodox christian 'truth' and the rest accusing them of being Pharisees for not 'feeling it.'  The Blind leading the blinder.

Beloved

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »

In a perfect world

the author Wiiliam Young would lick a steel pole after a deep freeze.

Or gets his mouth washed out with Lifeboy soap like Ralphie did

(the Christmas story movie)
is based on Jean Shepherd’s book In God We Trust All Others Pay Cash

beloved
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 02:56:59 AM by Beloved »

cjwood

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:09 AM »

i read it. my sister had it and gave it to me to read. it was ridiculous. of course it is selling like hotcakes on a cold winter morning, with all the syrup to boot. it will tug on the "heart strings" of those still in babylon and maybe even some unbelievers. that is always a selling point. emotional rather than scriptural. it would have been better for the forest trees if the book had never been published.

claudia

David

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:43:21 AM »

The two things I found most disturbing about it, aside from the obvious blasphemous disregard for
Exodus 20:4 and Romans 1:23 among other similar scriptures, was 1; the character that the author attributed to God. As far as the author is concerned God is a benevolent wishy washy philosopher that after creation just lost control of the whole mess, mostly because of mans free will, and is now just hoping that people will turn to Him (or her, the big African American lady according to the author), because He has so much He wants to share with us.........but its got to be our choice, you see He loves us so much that He'll allow us to make the wrong choice and be separated from Him forever. Yes, Young has God, His son the middle eastern carpenter, and the Holy spirit Asian girl as ineffectual bystanders in an ongoing soap oppera that They have no control over.

2; The whole suggested depravity of Christ (the Arab/Jewish carpenter guy), which unfortunately I can see millions of Christians just lapping it up and loving it. I'll try and explain as best I can in words. There's a scene depicted where Mack (the Central character) is with Jesus in a garden. Mack's daughter has been snatched and supposedly murdered by a serial child killer a few years prior to this whole Shack experience. Jesus shows Mack another garden where his surviving children are playing with his murdered daughter, perfectly happy together. He obviously breaks down at the sight of his murdered daughter. He's then met by some kind of force field when he tries to call her and go to her, some kind of shield separating this world from the world Christ is showing Mack. Mack is allowed to see her, but not speak to her or touch her. Its suggested that this place where she is is heaven, and the other kids are there because they are dreaming about her (another blasphemy, apparently we can visit heaven in our dreams). Then someone calls her, its Jesus, and she runs to him and jumps into his arms, and then the vision goes away and its just Mack and Jesus alone again in the garden. In the sick and twisted mind of the author, Mack is so happy that she is where she is, and tells Jesus he loves Him.
Does anyone else see how sick this scenario is? Just think of it in terms of orthodox theology if you can for a moment. This poor tortured man is shown his daughter in heaven with Jesus, playing with his surviving kids. But wait, he might not make it to the party, nor his kids, or his wife. There's still a chance they could all go to hell forever. What about her uncles and aunts, her grand parents, her potential nephews and nieces, what about her friends in nursery school? Do they all make it to the party? Not according to orthodox Christians they wont, at least not all of them.
And, another twist to this that occurred to me. Here's Christ showing this man his daughter in a place he can't get to yet, and she is fully conscious and aware of being without her parents, and she gets a visit from her brothers and sisters if they happen to dream about her. Its sick depravity. She has to wait for mummy and daddy and the rest of her family to die before she can be with them again. Nice old place this heaven they've invented don't you think? (sarcasm intended). This kind of foolish theology makes God to be doubly depraved. Heaven is full of Children without any parents, but they got this Jewish carpenter guy in a lumberjacks outfit (did I mention He's dressed like He's in the village people? He is according to the author) to look after them until mummy and daddy die, kind of like a cresh for dead kids. While down on earth you got these tortured families that know where their dead kids are, but they can't get to them yet. So, God is actually holding them against their will......great, the Christian God is a kidnapper. And,  don't you get thinking that you'll see them one day anyway, cuz you might just miss the party and go to hell, which means the dead children will be forever orphaned being looked after by the Jewsh carpenter guy in the village people outfit. I think Ray would add here "Its insane".
The reality is, to anyone unfortunate enough for this to have happened to, is that she's dead, she knows nothing, she will be resurrected with her family together and they will be all in all, after any judgement that takes place.
 That factual scriptural scenario gives me far more comfort as a bereaved older brother and son, than all this Christian mumbo jumbo that's in this idiotic book.
Sorry for the rant, but this stuff gets me hot.
David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:18:33 AM by David »

Beloved

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »

Pass the Spudzooka Dave , I need to shoot out my eye too. I want to get all of these horrible images in this book out of my mind.   :P :P :P

beloved
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:21:31 AM by Beloved »

Patrick

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »

The Shack =  >:(

spudzooka.net = ;D

musicman

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »

Just imagine if we had died as children and had to stay children for all eternity.  Better yet, imagine if we live to be 107 and had to remain in our 107 year old bodies for all eternity.  Don't these people ever think of these things?

musicman

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »

By the way, I have no problem with the Shack (Shaq).

He played two solid seasons for the Heat and even helped us win a World Championship.

Longhorn

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »

When I saw the title of this thread  " The Skack"...... I thought you were talking about my house.

Longhorn

Ninny

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »

Longhorn, I'm sorry, but I KNEW you were were going to say that! ;D
Musicman, You're right about that statement for sure!

Just imagine if we had died as children and had to stay children for all eternity.  Better yet, imagine if we live to be 107 and had to remain in our 107 year old bodies for all eternity.  Don't these people ever think of these things?
I would hate to remain in my current body for all eternity!  :D :D :P :P

That has to be CRAZY!
 ??? ??? ???
Kathy ;)

jopie

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 04:17:11 AM »

After reading some of the comments on the book "the Shack" I started feeling
 a bit sick to my stomach.
I read it, and I thought it was a fascinating read.

If you don't understand allegories and metaphors,
than I can see that it presents a problem.

I don't know if any of you have seen and heard Paul Young's testimony,
I did and it moved me to tears to hear his story of abuse.

This book was written at first as a Christmas present for his children.

To date it has sold over 5 million copies and is being translated into 42 languages.
Atheists have turned to God after reading  this book.

I would suggest that some of you do some research before posting cheap comments.

Just some constructive criticism.
John.

I would suggest to do some research before posting cheap comments,
I am not uplifted when I read stu

hillsbororiver

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »

To date it has sold over 5 million copies and is being translated into 42 languages.
Atheists have turned to God after reading  this book.

Hi Jopie,

When I read your comment this verse came to mind.

Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

Although I do agree we should all be temperate and merciful with our words often it is extremely difficult to refute blasphemous, unscriptural statements as well as man made fantasies about our God and His plan and purpose for His children without sounding (to some folks) harsh.

No offense intended.

Peace,

Joe

Linny

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:30 AM »

Well I read a really long review of the book from a Christian who didn't find the theology correct in it either.  ???

But this is my question. Just yesterday a friend told me I HAD TO read this book. Now, this is one of my very few friends who knows what I believe.
She doesn't agree with me but mostly (IMO) because she "doesn't have time to read" the stuff I've sent her. She and her husband are both very open minded and she is the one who is responsible for me being here! She sent me the article about tithing by Ray.

Anyway, for those who have read this. Why do you think she wants at BTer like me to read this so badly?
Curious as to your thoughts...
Lin

aqrinc

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:47 AM »

Linny,

She probably wants your approval, since she believes that you are onto something that she doesn't, or can't understand. That is why we must:

2Ti 2: 15-16 (MKJV)
15  Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.
16  But shun profane, vain babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.

george. :)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.