bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shack  (Read 12692 times)

lauriellen

Re: The Shack
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »

i just thought i would put my 2 cents worth in on this book.....i read the book for what it was,  FICTION! ....and there were parts that i liked and parts i didn't.
it doesn't hold up if you are reading it as a manual for instruction in righteousness, but, i thought it did a good job of portraying God as a very loving, caring and merciful God......
for those who wouldn't pick up a bible for a million dollars, they might read this book and it may get them to asking a little harder questions.

i read this book LONG before i ever heard of BT or "all will be saved" and look how far God has brought me!

just food for thought.

lauriellen

hillsbororiver

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:41:36 PM »

I haven't heard of it, but I'm willing to bet somebody in my family will get one for Christmas.  Thanks for the heads up.

:D

Pretty funny Dave, in a cynical, facetious sort of way.......

Thanks for the light hearted moment!

Peace,

Joe

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »

Here is a quote from William P. Young:
"To me, the centrality of the new covenant is not that he is come to help us be like him, to give us the holy spirit.
to me, following Jesus...being Jesus' follower is not trying to be like him. It's allowing him to be himself in the uniqueness of our own person hood.
To me that is the new covenant. He is actually come to live inside of us. Jesus is the only hope for us, not only as individuals.....Jesus is the only hope for the world."

No time for this double talk.
To quote a famous minister, "This book is like a ditch covered over in flowers!"

Thanks for warning us!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

judith collier

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 06:06:06 PM »

Jopie, I must understand allegories and metaphors because I thought the Shack was a great FICTION story.  And I knew about the author and what he went through as a child while in the islands with his missionary parents. People who aren't well versed in the bible at least come away with the thought that God just might be a loving God. I do not nor ever will believe my way or the highway thingy as to how to present God. He calls us in many different ways and when it is time He leads us to more and more Truth. At least people are thinking outside of their little boxes. Milk is for babies, this is not a milk sight. People have to get their nourishment where and when they can. Who is to say that this book will do no good? I do not like to put anyone or anything down as all serves a purpose. St. Francis said, "preach the bible and if you must use words" Most of OUR words are foolish but it gets some people thinking along a different path. WHEW, I can really work myself up. LOve, judy

Phil3:10

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »

To all,
My thought is if Christians spent as much time in the Word as they do in books by Joel O'Steen and the many other christian authors they might really be guided by the Spirit to the truths of GOD. The real problem is that Christians are turning from the Word to the writings and programs of man. It was "The Purpose Driven Life" that led me out of the Baptist Church. I am most thankful now that HE used this program of man to lead me to Bible-Truths.com. GOD uses all to fulfill HIS plan for mankind and HIS will will be done.
In HIM,
Phil3:10

aqrinc

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 05:23:09 AM »

Food for thought?.

Php 1: 14-20 (MKJV)
14  And most of the brothers in the Lord, becoming confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the Word without fear.
15  Some indeed even preach Christ because of envy and strife, and some also of good will.

16  Those, indeed, preach Christ out of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds.
17  But these others preach in love, knowing that I am set for the defense of the gospel.

18  What then? Nevertheless, in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached. And I rejoice in this. Yet, also I will rejoice.
19  For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20  according to my earnest expectation and hope that I shall be ashamed in nothing, but as always now Christ shall be magnified in my body with all boldness, whether it is by life or by death.

george. :)

chuckt

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »

wow interesting, i personally liked it, saw past alot of what others dont like.

be that as it may, acually mainstream is tearing it apart, and mainstream is calling it univeralism, and mainstream is calling it blasphamy.

so that makes me like it even more  :-*

dont get me wrong, i did see the error in it, but when mack had to decide which of his children he would send to hell, that really hits home.

http://www.leadingtheway.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sto_TheShack_13heresies

just lil old me.

blessings to all.
chuckt

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:18:00 PM by chuckt »

psalmsinger

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »

"........He is actually come to live inside of us. Jesus is the only hope for us, not only as individuals.....Jesus is the only hope for the world."

I didn't understand his conclusion to be doubletalk...isn't there a big difference in being "like Jesus" and "Christ in you," ? What do you think? There are a lot of people working to be like Jesus instead of resting as Christ works in them from the inside out.

Col 1:27
27   To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
(KJV)

Yes, I confess to reading the book:) I can get over the parts that aren't exactly as I believe, to embrace the main idea which I found to be God's everlasting mercy and love purposed to the good of all mankind because it is "fiction".   The love of God comes through loud and clear, unlike mainstream christianity.  The idea that relationships can only be realized foundationally through the mystery of "Christ in you" was a good one also.  As He reveals to you how to partake of loving the Lord thy God with all your heart, soul, and mind, He gives you the ability to love your neighbor as yourself:) I certainly can't do anything good on my own.......so I am learning to trust Him.  As Ray teaches, Jesus came to save us from death, sin and every evil that is represented therein.  His residing Love cleanses the cup from the inside out.   In time, Christ's love is extended to All!!!  Praise be to God!

Rest in the Lord,
Barbara

Here is a quote from William P. Young:
"To me, the centrality of the new covenant is not that he is come to help us be like him, to give us the holy spirit.
to me, following Jesus...being Jesus' follower is not trying to be like him. It's allowing him to be himself in the uniqueness of our own person hood.
To me that is the new covenant. He is actually come to live inside of us. Jesus is the only hope for us, not only as individuals.....Jesus is the only hope for the world."

No time for this double talk.
To quote a famous minister, "This book is like a ditch covered over in flowers!"

Thanks for warning us!

Antaiwan

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.