bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: James 5 & Praying by God's Rules  (Read 7414 times)

Ninny

James 5 & Praying by God's Rules
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »

Hi,
I've been reading Praying by God's Rules again. I don't know how many time I've read it, I love that article!
It' a how-to guide to prayer!
One of my favorite scriptures is James 5:16 "Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." KJV

Since we are told to pray like that and also to pray that God's will be done, is it because it is God's will for us to pray for one another? James also says in verse 15 "The prayer of faith shall save the sick and the Lord shall raise him up..."  So it is a puzzle to me that even though we are supposed to pray for God's will to be done we are also told that if we pray for the sick God will raise him up! Am I missing the meaning of something? I compared it to the CLV and there isn't much difference except for the tenses of the verbs.
Should I keep reading or does anyone have some insight?

We always pray for our loved ones and friends when they're sick, aren't we told to do that?
Just wondering ???
Kathy :)

mharrell08

Re: James 5 & Praying by God's Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »

Hi,
I've been reading Praying by God's Rules again. I don't know how many time I've read it, I love that article!
It' a how-to guide to prayer!
One of my favorite scriptures is James 5:16 "Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." KJV

Since we are told to pray like that and also to pray that God's will be done, is it because it is God's will for us to pray for one another? James also says in verse 15 "The prayer of faith shall save the sick and the Lord shall raise him up..."  So it is a puzzle to me that even though we are supposed to pray for God's will to be done we are also told that if we pray for the sick God will raise him up! Am I missing the meaning of something? I compared it to the CLV and there isn't much difference except for the tenses of the verbs.
Should I keep reading or does anyone have some insight?

We always pray for our loved ones and friends when they're sick, aren't we told to do that?
Just wondering ???

Excerpt from 'Praying by God's rules' (http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm):

Did Jesus pray as earnestly as it is possible to pray that God would "let this cup pass?" YES, He did.

Did God grant Jesus His desire to "let this cup pass?" NO, He didn’t.

But, did Jesus get His prayer answered? YES, He surely did. How so? Because Jesus’ greater desire was that His Father’s will be done, rather than "let this cup pass." This example from our Lord is the answer to answered pray and it is also the answer to unanswered prayer.

If you always pray, "not as I will, but as THOU will," all of your prayers will be answered too. Whether you always get what you desire or you don’t get what you desire, if your greatest desire of all desires is for "THY WILL be done," then you can rest assured that from this day forward, all of your prayers will be answered always. God’s will (that is His intention for the way He has preordained everything to go), will always be done. No prayer has ever changed God’s plan or purpose in any way whatsoever. (Read my series on "free will").

Now then, if it was God’s intention for you to be blessed by some particular favor, and God inspires you to pray for that favor then it will surely be given to you. If on the other hand, if it was not God’s intention for you to be blessed by some particular favor, then no amount of praying will cause God to grant it to you. Either way, God’s will must be done, and if that is the greatest desire of your prayer for God’s will to be done in your life, then whether you receive some particular favor or you don’t receive it, nonetheless, YOUR PRAYER WILL BE ANSWERED.

I’m, personally, okay with that. Many of my readers may not be okay with that arrangement of things, but nevertheless, that is the way things are and that is the way things will always be—"THY will be done."

Hello Kathy,

As God intends to bless anyone through prayer, He will inspire others to pray for that individual. The desire to pray for His will to be done is given to us, it is not inherent. Though we are told to pray for the sick, pray for our leaders, pray for the saints, etc.; the greatest desire is to be for the Father's Will to be done. In that regards, our prayers are always answered.

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works[including prayer], which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Rom 8:26-28  Now, similarly, the spirit also is aiding our infirmity, for what we should be praying for, to accord with what must be, we are not aware, but the spirit itself is pleading for us with inarticulate groanings. Now He Who is searching the hearts is aware what is the disposition of the spirit, for in accord with God is it pleading for the saints. Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose (CLV)

Hope this helps,

Marques
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:09:35 PM by mharrell08 »

Ninny

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »

Thanks Marques,
I was thinking about that scripture in Romans 8 the Spirit of God does help us in prayer.
I was thinking about the time just 7 weeks ago when my little 2 year old grandson was first diagnosed with a brain tumor, when we learned about it all I could say in my heart and sometimes out loud was, "Oh, God no, please" I didn't even know what I was praying for, but God knew because His Spirit was there making intercession and saying the words deep within my heart that I couldn't say.

In my heart I knew that we were to be praying for God's will to be done, but also in my heart I was praying for healing and for my grand baby not to be taken away.  The doctors discovered that during the surgery instead of them removing as they had thought 90% of the tumor- the MRI showed that it was completely gone! I knew and know that it was all God's plan.

Knowing that ALL things are working together for the purposes of God to those who trust Him is comforting, but hard to remember when the problems come.
Thanks again for the reminder!

OBrenda

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »

Hello Kathy,

As God intends to bless anyone through prayer, He will inspire others to pray for that individual. The desire to pray for His will to be done is given to us, it is not inherent. Though we are told to pray for the sick, pray for our leaders, pray for the saints, etc.; the greatest desire is to be for the Father's Will to be done. In that regards, our prayers are always answered.

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works[including prayer], which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Rom 8:26-28  Now, similarly, the spirit also is aiding our infirmity, for what we should be praying for, to accord with what must be, we are not aware, but the spirit itself is pleading for us with inarticulate groanings. Now He Who is searching the hearts is aware what is the disposition of the spirit, for in accord with God is it pleading for the saints. Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to the purpose (CLV)

Hope this helps,

Marques

Marques,

Whenever I read Rom 8:26-28....the Scripture...."Be still and know that I'm God" pops into my brain.

Can we also pray with inarticulate groanings. by being silent in his presence focused on his will?

:)
Brenda

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

Can we also pray with inarticulate groanings. by being silent in his presence focused on his will?

:)
Brenda

Hello Brenda,

I'm not entirely sure I understand...the spirit pleads with 'inarticulate groanings' which, I think, is when we feel 'inspired' to pray and/or our hearts feel 'tugged' or 'pulled' in a certain direction. These things are silent obviously but our prayers and thoughts are coherent nonetheless. Whether we speak them aloud or not, they are still coherent.

Is that what you meant?  :)

Hope this helps,

Marques

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:20 PM »

Marques and Brenda I see what you're saying. I think that we can sit quietly before God, but our thoughts are not easily quieted. I know when Grayson (my grand son)was in the hospital and the whole time he was going through his tumor there were times when I could not put into words the feelings that were in my heart. I couldn't pray anything very coherent at the beginning and that is when I know that the Spirit of God was doing what I couldn't do. The thoughts were there, my mind couldn't be quiet, but physically I was quiet. So we know that the Spirit of God in us does conveys to God our prayers that can't be said out loud.

I don't know if this follows that thought or not, but I think that is what was going on with me.

OBrenda

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »

It is hard to explain, but I think Kathy understands...it's CERTIANLY not an everyday prayer for every day concerns!

When we are in that place when we can't find words to physically speak, but inside our full attention is crying out and travailing and groaning reaching out to God for help, but unable to ask for a specific outcome.  The only thing coherent is our need for God!   We know and recognize that the situations is completely out of our hands, and we are powerless to even ask for our desire! 

I guess I've found my prayer life changing, more having my attention on God, but not asking for a desired outcome.  Submitting to his will. Coming out of the "Word of Faith" movement where we spoke what we wanted and had to have faith, and Sugar Daddy God would have his arm bent to answer us.  Now I really don't know what to say in prayer.  I'm wondering if I've grown in trust, or I'm depressed? ::)  ;D

Your Kooky Sister,
Brenda

Jackie Lee

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Hi Brenda I am like you on prayer now that I don't ask for him to do my will but his will I know it will be taken care of.

Has anyone had the sudden desire to stop praying for someone?
I have, but not sure if I am tired or just need to stop praying for that person and their particular problem. ???

Marlene

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »

Hello, Last night , I was reading in Matthew Chapter 6  it has alot to say about prayer including the manner that we should pray in. It is a guidline. Like Ray talks about Jesus prayed on the cross, Father Forgiven Them. The them being the whole world.

I  like Matt. 6 verse 7 But when ye pray , use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do for they think that they shall be heard for their much  speaking.
verse 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

I really thought about those verses last night. We really have to trust him and let go of trying to control. We, cannot control him that is for  sure. He knows, what we need and what is best for us. Now, the trusting him. I also, believe to pray for someone else is unselfish. They, may just feel comforted to know that we care for them. I just want to come to the place where I know that whatever he decides is for my best. Since, coming here and learning his truths I ask for his will for me. I sometimes think up something like I wonder if God laughs. Ray even has an article that speaks of that. Ray, mentions that he talks things over with him about spiritual things. I believe spiritual things are what we should ask for. Spiritual things are lasting. 

I think it is awesome that the Spirit speaks for us when we do not know how too.  Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

In His Love Marlene

winner08

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »

In a certain scripture it is said that whatever you ask in my name it shall be given. Another scripture says ask and you shall recieve, seek and you shall find and knock and the door shall be opened. But in each of theses scriptures there is no mention of these things must be in Gods Will or it will not happen. Now in other scriptures it is said that Gods will is always done. So when people who are not in our family read these scriptures they take it for what it says but when they pray and their prayers do not get ansewered in their favor they don't understand why. They fail to understand what we understand. That we must pray that God's will is done and not ours. Then all of our prayers are always ansewered in our favor. Now if they have a scripture that says ask in My Name and if it is in My Will, It will be done. One has to search scripture for the (Whole truth) for why their prayer are ansewered or not. When a friend of mind was asked why her prayers was not ansewered she could not give an ansewer. She said maby I didn;t pray hard enough, mabay I sined and didn't repent therefore God did not ansewer. Maby I had hate in my heart and God did not ansewer. She had every excuse why her pray was not ansewered. Every reason why except for the real reason why. When I told her why her prayer was not ansewered in her favor, she of couse did not believe me. She said BULL!! If one prayers hard enough and had faith then ones prayers are always ansewerd. Well that left me with one question to her. Why then was your pray not ansewered. She had nothing for me, nothing but, as she said "BULL"!!  So once again I told her what I learned from Rays paper and I said to her try this for a week. In every prayer you pray at the end of your prayer say" not my will be done, but your will be done" I promise you that your prayer will be ansewered. Well a week past and she said nothing I prayed for was ansewered. I said are you sure. Yes she said. I said at the end of the prayer did you say what I told you to say(not my will but your will be done)? She said yes. Isaid then everything you prayed for was ansewered. NO! it was not. So I explained it real carefully to her and I seen the light go on in her head. OH YEA I SEE. I said your will be done not mine. She said Gods Will is always done, I said yep. Always done. She had a light bulb moment. It was great to see that. I could see truth in her eys it was great. I just though I share this story with yall. thanks.

Darren

Ninny

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »

Sometimes it is hard to say "your will not mine", isn't it? I think it is God's will to answer our prayers and we have to know that some things are not in our best interest. God knows and has it all planned what we will do.
Still hard, you know? I guess when we get fully in line with God we will only want His will to be done! I think my will would probably be all wrong and get me in a heap 'o trouble! :D

Jackie Lee

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »

My daughter is going through leaving the church she was disillusioned with church now she pretty much told me she don't believe there is a God because her prayers aren't answered.
I told her to pray and then say not my will but yours.
Well that made her a bit angry at me she said that way you won't be disappointed right?
Now she won't discuss at all, she will have to learn like we did God is not our personal santa.
I have been praying God's will for her without her knowing.

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 01:06:26 AM »

Jackie,
I will pray with you about that daughter of yours! ;)

Jackie Lee

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:19 AM »

Thank you Ninny, she is a stubborn lilttle thing, She probably got it naturally.
I had a time fighting a couple things one being freewill. :D

Ninny

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:48 AM »

Yep, that means she'll be thoroughly into it when she finally gets it!!
Kathy :D

winner08

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »

JackiLee I just want to say that your daughter will be fine. The seed has been planted and God will take over. Just like many who left the comforts of their babylone system they come out distrut. What they thought to be the truth is not and they are upset. Upset in all things. It might take some time but she will find the truth if it is God Will.

Darren

aqrinc

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 03:44:33 AM »

Kathy,

Praying in Jesus Christ Name is The Will Of The Father since our Prayers will then be as Jesus Christ
Himself taught us how to Pray. Of My Own Self i do nothing; It is The Will Of The Father.

John 5:30:
I can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not
my own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me.

John 14:13:
And whatever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:16:
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 16:26:
At that day you shall ask in my name: and I say not to you, that I will pray the Father for you:

george. ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.