bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God is Spirit / The Holy Spirit (Ghost).  (Read 5096 times)

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
God is Spirit / The Holy Spirit (Ghost).
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »

There is something that I find very confusing.  We know that "God is Spirit".  How can a spirit have a spirit (Holy Ghost)?  Is it not one and the same? We read of the Holy Ghost in several places in the KJV.  Does a spirit have a spirit?  Is there a scriptural proof understanding?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Fester
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

jerreye

Re: God is Spirit / The Holy Spirit (Ghost).
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:05:39 AM »

You are right. God IS the "Holy Spirit". He gives His Spirit (which cannot be contained) to us. The spirit manifests in many different ways, but it is still "All of God (the Father)". The Holy Spirit is simply the power (love, joy, power, life etc, etc, etc) that radiates FROM God. That's how I personally understand it. ;D

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:03:06 AM »

There is something that I find very confusing.  We know that "God is Spirit".  How can a spirit have a spirit (Holy Ghost)?  Is it not one and the same? We read of the Holy Ghost in several places in the KJV.  Does a spirit have a spirit?  Is there a scriptural proof understanding?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Fester

Excerpt from Ray's paper 'Is God a Closed Trinity or an Open Family' (http://bible-truths.com/trinity.html):

No matter how many different spirits there are, one thing is certain: ALL SPIRITS ARE IN SUBJECTION TO THE FATHER--NONE ARE EQUAL TO OR WITH THE FATHER, because we have Scriptural proof that God is superior to all spirits, seeing that:

"Yet shall we not much rather be subjected to the FATHER OF SPIRITS..." (Heb. 12:9)

To him who has an ear to hear; let him hear!

Fester,

Besides this paper, you can also do a search through Ray's email replies on 'Holy Spirit' to find more teachings to help your understanding. When doing a search, choose the 'Advanced' option to specify what parts of the forum to search. You can specify email replies, General Discussions, etc.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »

I found a couple of emails and a section from the transcript of the 2007 Nashville conference, I think will help in this discussion.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1934.0.html ---

God is Holy and God is Spirit--therefore, God is HOLY Spirit.. Actually the "Holy Spirit" is mentioned in the Old Testament:  Psalm 51:11; Isa. 63:10, etc.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4995.0.html ---------

THerefore SInce the "SPIRIT" (holy spirit) is THE LORD(the father), the father must be the spirit.

COMMENT:  The "Spirit" is the possession of God the Father--it is "The Spirit OF God."  However, God has given His Son Jesus Christ this SAME spirit. God has shared ALL with His Son: "ALL power in heaven and earth is given Me" (Matt. 28:18).  Jesus takes of the Spirit His Father has given Him and gives it to US (John 16:15).  The "Comforter" (the "parakletos) IS JESUS.  "And if any man sin, we have an Advocate [Gk: 'parakletos] with the Father, JESUS CHRIST the righteous" (I John 2:1). Jesus Christ IS, the Lord of the Old Testament; the Lord of the New Testament, the Comforter (Parakletos), which is the promised Holy Spirit, which comes to us through JESUS CHRIST, and so "The Lord is that SPIRIT."

God be with you,
    Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4472.0.html -----------

If the Holy Spirit is a person, a personality of a triune Godhead or divinity and Paul has 13 books, but never once acknowledges the Holy Spirit, something is wrong with Paul.  1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians… etc.  Any book you open up, there is just those two.

Eph 1:3  “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…”

Phi 1:2  “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Gal 1:3  “Grace to you and peace from God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ,”

There is no Holy Spirit.  Not that the Holy Spirit is nothing or of no consequence, it’s just not a person. 
Jesus Christ and God the Father ARE the Holy Spirit!  Jesus Christ is that Spirit! 

John 16:7  “… I will send him(the Comforter) to you.” v. 15  “… He shall take of Mine, and shall show it unto you.”

What is He going to take of Christ?  His Spirit.  Where did Christ get that Spirit?  From God the Father.  But He is going to take of Christ, because it’s going to be the personality of Christ, see.  Paul didn’t say, I’m crucified with God, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but the FATHER lives in me.  No, it’s,  “I have been crucified with CHRIST, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but CHRIST lives in me.” (Gal 2:20)
But see it’s the personality of Christ, that is the spirit that lives in us.  And that spirit comes from God.  So we can call it God’s Holy Spirit, even though it’s channeled through Christ.  Jehovah /Elohim, God the Father(Elohim), you know.
v
v
"There is ONE GOD" (I Cor.8:5); "God is SPIRIT" (John 6:24);

"by ONE SPIRIT  baptized into one body" (I Co. 12:13);

"But he that is joined unto the Lord IS ONE SPIRIT" (I Cor. 6:17); "I and My Father are ONE" (John 10:30)

"There is ONE BODY, and ONE SPIRIT, even as ye are called in ONE HOPE, of your calling; ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM, ONE GOD AND FATHER OF ALL, Who is ABOVE ALL, and THROUGH ALL, and IN YOU ALL" (Eph. 4:4-6).
v
v
So what is it about Jesus and His Father, that make them one?
They are one Spirit, it’s the same spirit and it’s the same spirit of perfection wisdom and knowledge, love and power.  Same Spirit!  How could they both have that and not be God?  But there is only one Spirit. 
--------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.