bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hebrews 9  (Read 5717 times)

EKnight

Hebrews 9
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »

I was reading Hebrews 9 and I'm thinking wow, I really think I understand this.  Hebrews 9 is talking about the old law vs. the new law.  The physical rituals of the old testament and then the spiritual laws of Christ, a new covenant.  The shedding of sacrificial blood of goats and calves in the old testament and the ultimate and final  sacrifice of Christ's blood.  Meaning no more sacrifice is necessary because Jesus Christ has made himself the final sacrifice.  Is this correct?

Then I get to Hebrews 9:27-28

27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,
28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Now I don't understand.  That which I put in bold seems to indicate only the many and those who eagerly await Him (well obviously only believers will be eagerly awaiting him), are they who are beneficiaries of His sacrifice for sins.  Not everyone. 

Have I misunderstood the whole chapter? Or did I understand everything until the last line?  Or do I not get any of it at all?

The simplest clarifications would be most helpful.

Eileen

aqrinc

Re: Hebrews 9
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:28:16 PM »

Hi Eileen,

Maybe the translation is causing the problem, try this reading to see if it clears up.
I have to leave now but will be back later to see other explanations.

AKJV American King James Version.

Hewbrews: 9 27-28

27-And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment:

28-So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and to them that
look for him shall he appear the second time without sin to salvation.

george.  ;D

Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:20 PM »

Hi Eileen,

I think you are getting it up until that last verse.

Hebrews 9:28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many...

In the first part of this verse we see He was an offering for "many" - how many?

1John 2:2  And He is the propitiation (atonement) for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

v. 28 ...will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for Him.

Now in the second part of that verse it is saying the second time He comes He will not need to be offered again, no the first time was for "the whole world."  But He will return firstly (first resurrection) for "those who are eagerly waiting for Him."

Rom 8:23  And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Gal 5:5  For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

EKnight

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »

But manyAll are sinners. Not one is righteous, correct?  I am bewildered and frustrated. :-[

Eileen

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »

Eileen,

Read on into chapter 10 i believe your answer is there below. Reading on into chapter 10 is the very same subject
as chapter 9. Ray has mentioned other chapter and verse divisions in another study which i cannot recall right now.
:)

1-For the law, having in a shadow of the destined good things, not the very image of the things, they can
never, with the same sacrifices which year by year they offer evermore, make them who approach, perfect;

2-Else would they not, in that case, have ceased being offered, by reason of those rendering the divine service
having no further conscience at all of sins, being once for all purified?

3-But, in them, is a recalling to mind of sins, year by year,

4-For it is impossible for blood of bulls and goats to be taking away sins.

5-Wherefore, coming into the world, he saith: Sacrifice and offering, thou willedst not, but, a body, hast thou fitted for me,

6-In whole-burnt-offerings and sacrifices for sins, thou didst not delight:

7-Then, said I—Lo! I am come,—in the heading of the scroll, it is written concerning me,—to do, O God, thy will.

8-Higher up, saying—Sacrifices, and offerings, and whole-burnt-offerings, and sacrifices for sins, thou willedst not, neither
delightedst in,—the which, according to the law, are offered,

9-Then, hath he said—Lo! I am come! to do, thy will:—he taketh away the first, that, the second, he may establish:

10-By which will, we have been made holy, through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all.

11-And, every priest, indeed, standeth daily publicly ministering, and the same sacrifices ofttimes offering, the which
never can clear away sins;

12-But this priest, having offered one sacrifice for sins evermore, sat down on the right hand of God:

The entire chapter 10 it appears is continuing to explain chapter 9.

george. ???

bobf

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:56:49 AM »

Hi Eileen,

"Many" just means a great multitude and does not mean fewer than all.  Compare the "all" and the "many" in these passages.  They both refer to all mankind.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. 18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous

God bless,
Bob

Kat

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »

Hi Eileen,

But many?  All are sinners. Not one is righteous, correct?  I am bewildered and frustrated.

'Many' does not mean 'all' is the same argument that Christiandom uses in saying all will not be saved.  Ray had a Bible study on this false teaching 'Does All mean All,' here is the link.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5605.0.html

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

Hi Eileen

There is an order in salvation. First the few or the remnant are saved,  then the many will be saved and then, God will be all in all.

There is a first and a second resurrection to judgment. Remember judgement is not always a sentence to punishment and correction but it can also be a verdict to reward. There are trials and tribulation and there is wrath. Wrath and tribulation are not the same.

Heb 9 : 28 is about those who are aching for the return of Christ who are not reserved for the wrath He brings to those who do not have their eyes, hearts and minds strained to see, feel and hear Him but who are busy in self indulgence and making merchandise of His Words. Wrath is for the disobedient rebellious workers in a field describing the labourers who killed the heir and busied themselves dividing up His property. The Church is divided into over 3000 denominations and are very busy.

The first judgement that BEGINS now on the House of God is on those who are persecuted for throwing off the traditions of the Church that is making void the Words of Christ. This first judgment that began over two thousand years ago, will be finalised as the second resurrection to judgment that begins with the return of Christ.  We all go through the second death and the purging of our fleshy carnal natures whether now or later.

There is judgment on the House of God NOW and there will judgment on the world LATER. Not ALL are in the House of God now but everyone will be later.

ref to http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html  and http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D5.htm

Arc

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:32:53 AM by Arcturus »

EKnight

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »

Hi Eileen,

"Many" just means a great multitude and does not mean fewer than all.  Compare the "all" and the "many" in these passages.  They both refer to all mankind.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. 18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous

God bless,
Bob

I am reading "Does All mean All" and I believe WHEN it says ALL it means ALL, but many does not mean all. I know that scriptures don't contradict otherwise the bible is useless, so I guess Bob's quote above is the best definition I will get.  "For as by one man's (Adam) disobedience many [I know that all were made sinners] were made sinners, so by the obedience of one (Christ) many [so this many must also mean the same many that were made sinners which is all of mankind] be made righteous

However, the use of the word many instead of all just seems to complicate things for no reason except what Ray says "so that Satan could deceive..."

I understand all the scriptures that clearly state that all, the whole world, every one etc, will be saved.  I guess I know in my heart that these other somewhat ambiguous scriptures just complicate a solid understanding whereas I have no DOUBT.  I feel like I am constantly being challenged with self-doubt about the truths.  Before I even begin to read scripture I pray for the spirit of discernment to be with me while I do.  That's why while I was reading Hebrews, as I already stated, I was so happy to be understanding what I was reading and then BAM!!!  A brick wall shows up and stops me in my tracks.  So I stop and read the words, read the words, read all the words and I'm stuck.  Sorry, just trying to make you understand where I am coming from lest I be accused of not being like-minded.

Thanks for your help, time, patience and understanding.

Eileen

Kat

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

Hi Eileen,

I know it is not always easy to understand something.  But think of it like this, you ran into a stumbling block with that word "many," so you ask questions and studied much more because you did not get that at first.  Now your understanding is all the more increased by all the additional study that you did searching for the answer.  That is a good thing  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

EKnight

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:08:22 PM »

Good Point Kat, Thanks.  :)

Eileen

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.