bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Young's literal?.., or,..a good bible dictionary?  (Read 6112 times)

Amrhrasach

Young's literal?.., or,..a good bible dictionary?
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »

Greetings all.

I'm attempting to grow my library.  I use a Nelson KJV bible with the center cross reference and I also use a Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance.   

I'm wanting to purchase either a Young's Literal Bible Translation, or, a Nelson Bible Dictionary.

I may wind up with both at the same instance, but which woud YOU pick of the two if given a choice?  (as far as a "aid" to the bible and concordance already in hand).

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Decky

Re: Young's literal?.., or,..a good bible dictionary?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »

Gary,

Last week I bought the Young's Analytical Concordance of the Bible and I believe it was a good investment. With each english word, it gives the corresponding hebrew/greek word, and then breaks it down by listing every scripture passage where the word is used(Like "rule" for instance), so that you can define it by its usage. And it avoids the tendencies of Dr Strong in defining a word by the POPULAR definition, at least that's what I gathered SO far.

No buyer's remorse here. I like it.

D

Amrhrasach

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

Thank you Decky.    I've been reviewing online some of the items mentioned, I'll review that as well.

Gary

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:52 PM »

Greetings all.

I'm attempting to grow my library.  I use a Nelson KJV bible with the center cross reference and I also use a Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance.   

I'm wanting to purchase either a Young's Literal Bible Translation, or, a Nelson Bible Dictionary.

I may wind up with both at the same instance, but which woud YOU pick of the two if given a choice?  (as far as a "aid" to the bible and concordance already in hand).

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Hello Gary,

I'm planning to start filling my 'bible shelf' starting the first month of '09 as well. Here's the top 4 on my list:

1. Concordant Literal New Testament w/Keyword Concordance (Black)
2. Young's Literal Translation of the Bible (Hardcover)
3. Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible
4. Rotherham's Emphasized Bible by J. B. Rotherham (Hardcover)

Since I know Ray's uses the CLNT a lot, I've been wanting one for awhile. And as 'D' also said, I've heard many good reviews on the Young's Concordance...

Over & Out,

-Daywalker

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »

i have had a young's analytical concordance for many years and find it a very helpful tool in studying the Scriptures. i also have a strong's exhaustive concordance of the bible. it is good also but i tend to go back to the young's before strong's. i have recently purchased a rotherham's and the concordant literal nt. i use a comparative study bible which has the kjv, new american standard version, niv, and amplified bible showing all the verses of the bible next to each other on each page so i can see the different translations at a glance. along with the concordant literal nt i ordered some of the concordant's study booklets. i have had the t.v. off for the past 2 nights reading through some of the concordant study booklets along with ray's lof series section 16 a&b. it is so true that we need a "pattern of sound words" and to "rightly divide the word of Truth". my prayer personally and for my forum family is that God will indeed open up the Scriptures to us so that we can know all that He has for us to learn about His unfathomable love and His Son Jesus Christ.

claudia

Samson

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »

Greetings all.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Hey Gary(Horseman),

A good endeavor, in my case, I'm leaning towards Rotherham's(Joseph Rotherham)
                              Emphasized Bible Translation as my first choice. I had a brief phone conversation
                              with Joe Hillsbororiver and unless I misunderstood him, he reccommended Rotherhams.

Already have a Translation that doesn't have Hell or Hell-fire in any place, Now I'd like
                              to read one that doesn't have Eternal, Everlasting or Forever in it. In the Hebrew-Aramaic
                              Scriptures(Old Testament), the Translation I already have, has " Time Indefinite " for the
                              Hebrew Ohlam instead of Forever or Everlasting, but the New Testament falls short in this
                              regard.

Boy I'd love to have Ray's collection or Louis Abbotts.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Amrhrasach

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »

Gosh, my library must REALLY grow over the next few months.  So many good references here.  I've looked in the book store for the Rotherhams but so far none in stock, but they promise they're coming.  Waiting.

Claudia said:  "i use a comparative study bible which has the kjv, new american standard version, niv, and amplified bible showing all the verses of the bible next to each other on each page so i can see the different translations at a glance."

Now that is something I would find easily handy and something I would enjoy having in my library.  Thank you.

Thank you all for your replys!

Best.
Gary

charrie

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »

Hi, Horseman

Charrie saying Hi from Dallas, TX

I recently purchased a Rotherhams online...I went online to Barns and Noble and just decided to buy from an approved book seller on their site.  It came very quickly and cost less than buying at the bookstore even with shipping and handling.  And it is new. 

Hope this helps

Charrie :-*

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:59:14 AM »

Hi, Horseman

Charrie saying Hi from Dallas, TX

I recently purchased a Rotherhams online...I went online to Barns and Noble and just decided to buy from an approved book seller on their site.  It came very quickly and cost less than buying at the bookstore even with shipping and handling.  And it is new. 

Hope this helps

Charrie :-*

i got my rotherhams online also. ordered it from amazon. i ordered the concordant literal nt from their website concordant.org. i bought the comparative study bible with the 4 different translations from an old christian bookstore (when i was still in babylon). the rotherhams bible was delivered rather quickly but the concordant took about 2 1/2 - 3 wks.

claudia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.