bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another KJV screwup?  (Read 7538 times)

Decky

Another KJV screwup?
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »

Hi Forum,

I was reading Genesis 49:6 and was amused by the different translations of the last sentence.

NIV: "And (they)hamstrung oxen as they pleased."

Rotherhams: "In their wontonness they hamstrung oxen."

Young's: "In their self will eradicated a prince"

NASB: "And in their selfwill they lamed oxen."

NLT: "and they crippled oxen just for sport."

Hebrew/Greek Interlinear: "And in approval of them they felled bull."

KJV: "and in their selfwill they digged down a wall."

Now, I can see that the majority of the translations have oxen or bull, BUT WHAT'S UP WITH "DIGGED DOWN A WALL???"

D

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Another KJV screwup?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:45:58 AM »

LOL! Now THAT'S funny!

Who knows what happened...

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »

Hi Decky,

I looked in the concordances to see what they have to say about this and sometimes there is a bit we can learn from them.

From John Gill's Exposition of the Bible--

Genesis 49:6
...and in their self-will they digged down a wall; not the wall of the city of Shechem, which does not appear to be walled, by their easy access into it; and if it was, they do not seem to have had proper instruments for such an undertaking, nor a sufficient number for such work, and which would have required longer time than they used, unless it was a poor wall indeed: rather the wall of Shechem's house, or the court before it, which they dug down, or broke through to get in and slay Hamor and Shechem, and take away their sister; though the word, as here pointed, always signifies an ox; and so the Samaritan and Septuagint versions render it, they hamstringed a bull, or houghed an ox, just in like manner as horses are said to be houghed, Jos_11:6 and which some understand (l) figuratively of a prince or ruler; so great personages are called bulls of Bashan, Psa_22:12 and interpret it either of Hamor or of Shechem, who was a prince among his people, and furious in his lust towards Dinah, and so this clause is much the same with the former: and besides, him they enervated by circumcision, and took the advantage of this his condition at the worst, and slew him, which seems to be the true sense of the text, agreeably to Gen_34:25 but the Jerusalem Targum paraphrases it of Joseph, whom his brethren sold, who was like unto an ox; and so Jarchi interprets it of him, whom they designed to slay, see Deu_33:17 but it is better to take the words in a literal sense, either of the oxen that Simeon and Levi took from the Shechemites, which they plucked or drove away from their mangers, as some render the words (m); and some of them they might hough or hamstring, that they might not get away from them, see Gen_34:28 or rather of Shechem himself, who was שר, "a prince", a word which has some likeness and affinity to this in the text.
-----------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace aqnd love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

Hi Decky,

My English Standard Version translates this scripture as, "and in their willfulness they hamstrung oxen."

Prior to coming to Bible-Truths, it never occurred to me to compare different bible translations to get an understanding of a scripture.  Now I do it all the time.  Another valuable lesson I have learned on this spiritual journey. :)

René

Carlos31

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:19:17 PM »

lol thats funny.

I sometimes have trouble getting the right translations in spanish.

all of them are almost a copy of a bible from like 1559.

and sometimes I find verses in one bible that CONTRADICT the same verse from a different bible, then i have to check in English.

aqrinc

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:58:14 PM »

Hi Carlos,

I can understand your translation problems, growing up bilingual by necessity we have to learn to think
in the language we are speaking. This can have some very funny moments when speaking English and
thinking in Spanish or other languages i dabble in.

Here is an excerpt from Ray's how we got the Bible:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5815.msg47181.html#msg47181

THE MOST POPULAR BOOK IN HISTORY

Currently the complete Bible is being translated into over 500 languages.  The New Testament alone has been published in nearly 1,400 languages, with the Gospel of Mark in over 2,370 languages.

The annual expenditure for Bibles in America is currently nearly a half billion dollars, that’s a lot of money.  The average American household contains four Bibles.  I have a couple more than that.

Jesus said;  “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be proclaimed in all the world for a witness to all nations; and then shall the end come…. And {before the end comes} the gospel must first be published among all nations” (Matt. 24:14; Mark 13:10).  Moreover, Jesus said,  “The heaven and the earth shall pass away, but My words shall never pass away” (Mark 13:31). 

Now either that is true or Jesus Christ is a liar.  I mean that’s as simple as it is, right.  Either we have these words today or Jesus Christ is a liar.  I don’t think Jesus Christ is a liar!

Latin, biblia; Greek, biblion - means book.  From sheep and goat skin (vellum) to clay tablets, to papyrus (a reed material along the Nile river).  Now we have fine printed paper, as thin as this paper is, it‘s very strong and durable.

The First printed Bible - Gutenberg Bible - A Latin Version (AD 1455).  Facsimiles cost $10,000.  There are 48 in existence in various conditions, 3 - 10 are nearly perfect (but none are for sale), they are valued at $100,000,000+ each.

The printing press was invented about AD 1450.  Within a few years the Bible went to print in Latin, though it’s a Vulgate Bible.  So the first Bible was a Vulgate, and you can buy a reproduction of it.  It’s where they photographed the pages, so it’s the exact thing only photographed and then they bind it in a book, it’s for $10,000.  From the wed site that I borrowed some of the material (the chronology order of the English versions), you can buy one page of a real Gutenberg Bible.  Just one page, in other words they took a Bible and they are just selling it by the page and you can buy one page for $100,000.  Now a lot of Gutenberg’s, well people say they are valued at 20 million, 30 million, 40 million, or 50 million, whatever, but of course that is what they were valued if people owned them 20 or 30 years.  But the truth of the matter is there is not one Gutenberg Bible for sale any where in the world. 
They think there were 185 copies and believe it or not, there are 48 left, which is amazing.  After 550 years there are still 25% of them left, of the 48.  But greatsite.com says if one ever did come up for sale at Sotheby’s or someplace, it would probably go between 1-2 hundred million dollars.  So that’s a pretty valuable book.

george. ;D

musicman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:33:46 AM »

And in their selfwill?

Sorry guys but this settles it.  We do in fact have a freewill.  The inerrant word of the KJ tells me so.

daywalker

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

Lol,

I went to blueletterbible.org to find out the Hebrew word and its meaning:

Hebrew: showr meaning "ox, bull, a head of cattle"

Translated in the KJV:
"ox" 62 times, "bullock" 12 times, "cow" 2 times, "bull" 1 time, and "wall" 1 time ???

It seems to me that "wall" is the only word that doesn't fit in this category... Just another King James 'oops!' :o

Over & Out,

Daywalker

Carlos31

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »

"Sorry guys but this settles it.  We do in fact have a freewill.  The inerrant word of the KJ tells me so."

lol, NO, that does not prove nothing.

it proves that most people live in carnal flesh, and not inspired in spirit

musicman

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:17:40 AM »

Sure it does.  It proves that u don't have a sense of humor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.