bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 5542 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Baptism
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:55 AM »

Hi Ray,

We must be baptized because God commands us to be baptized. (See Matthew 3:13-17; Acts 2:3741; Acts 2213-16; Galatians 3:27-29; 1 Peter 3:21).

Yes it is TRUE people must believe in Jesus to be SAVED but they have also to be BAPTIZED.

Christ's blood and Baptism BOTH ARE FOR FORGIVENESS OF SINS.

To understand the two Bible terms of Repentance and Conversion, both found in an appeal of the Apostle Peter to the people in Jerusalem sh ortly after Jesus' ascension to heaven:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted
out ..." (Acts 3:19).

But Peter went one stage further in his message to the people of Jerusalem:
"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38).

Christ declared: "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

But though Christ's statement is clear, Apostle Paul also submitted. He was
commanded:  "Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling upon
the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

Paul considered it necessary to be baptized in order that his sins might
be "washed away."

After his resurrection, Jesus sent out the apostles with these instructions:
"Go y e int o all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He that
believeth and is baptized will be saved..." (Mark 16: 15-16)

This, in a nutshell, is what we must do to be saved. First, we must believe the
gospel. The gospel relates to those things concerning the kingdom of God
and the name of Jesus Christ, of which so many people know so little.

The exact purpose of baptism first and foremost is the means by which
forgiveness is made available to us: "Repent and be baptized every one of
you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins" (Acts 2:38 RSV).
It signifies a death, burial and resurrection to a new way of life; and thus, it is the
beautifully appropriate means by which we may identify ourselves with Christ¢s
death and resurrection.

In his first epistle, Peter wrote: "...baptism doth also now SAVE us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a  good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 3:21).

Baptism is the outward sign of a repentant and contrite heart, of a person convicted of their sinful ness , and desiring redemption. I believe that through baptism you participate symbolically in the sacrifice and resurrection of Christ, and thereby attain forgiveness of sins.

I also acknowledge that Christ died for The Forgiveness of Sins. Jesus himself
expressed in a variety of ways that his work was for men's sake. For example: "The
Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a
ransom for many" (Matt. 20:28). "This is my body which is given for you . . .
This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you" (Luke 22:19, 20).
"I lay down my life for the sheep" (John 10:15). "Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

Paul's statement to the Corinthians: "For I delivered unto you first of all that which
I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures"
(1 Cor. 15:3). In another epistle he said Jesus "gave himself for our sins" (Gal. 1:4).

We are also told that Jesus was "offered to bear the sins of many" (Heb. 9:28,

Thank You For Your Time.

Tony
Dear Tony:  I have always said that we must be baptized. But remember that there is "ONLY ONE BAPTISM" (Eph 4:5).  I don't know many people who believe this Scripture.  We are to be baptized in spirit JUST as we are to be circumcised in heart and spirit (without hands--Col. 2:11-12).  I don't know many Christians who believe this Scripture.  We are to be baptized into Jesus Christ's NAME (Acts 2:28); and baptized into Jesus' DEATH (Rom. 6:3-4).  But if one believes being baptized in physical water will get the job done, well then, God bless you. God didn't call me to baptize (I Cor. 1:13-17).  Until and unless one is baptized with the Holy Spirit, he will only go down dry and come up wet (John 1:33).
God be with you,
Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.