bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repent  (Read 5444 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Repent
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:42:13 PM »

Mr. Smith,
     Thank you for the article on prayer from your site. Its always good to see new stuff there because its been so informative and I've gotten much clarity from all your work. I thank God for using you as He does. I hope that He will continue to do so.
      I won't send you Genesis 6:6 and insist that God changes His mind, as per your request. I'm just a babe to the TRUTH, although I'm afraid I'm mature in the garbage taught today. Its a big change for me, and quite frankly I'm lovin' it! I do have a question concerning Exodus 32 however.
      As you know of course, this concerns Moses and Yahweh after the making of the golden calf by the children of Israel. They had bowed down to the idol and offered sacrifices to it. God has become quite angry w/ them and has instructed Moses to get down the mountian back to the people who He has looked on and found to be stiff-necked. In verse 10 God tells Moses "Now therefore, let me alone, that mine anger may kindle upon them, and that I may consume them, and may make of thee a great nation. 11 And Moses besought the face of Yahweh he God,-and said-Wherefore, O Yahweh, should thine anger kindle upon thy people, whom thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great might, and with a firm hand? 12 Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, saying-For mischief hath he taken them forth, to slay them among the mountains, and to make an end of them from off the face of the ground? Turn thou from the kindling of thine anger, an d be grieved over the calamity to thy people. 13 Have remembrance of Abraham of Isaac, and of Israel, thy servants, to whom thou didst swear by thyself, and didst speak unto they saying, I will multiply your seed, as the stars of the heavens,-and all this land of which I have spoke will I give to your seed, and they shall inherit it to times age-abiding. 14 So then Yahweh was grieved-over the calamity,-which he had spoken of infliction on his people. (Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, all underlines mine).
      The KJV uses the word "repent" in verse 12 where the REB say "Turn thou".
nâcham
naw-kham'
A primitive root; properly to sigh, that is, breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry, that is, (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): - comfort (self), ease [one’s self], repent (-er, -ing, self).

Now, whether or not "repent" is the correct translation I'm not cercertainowever, "turn thou" appears to me to have a very simsimilaraning. The KJV also uses "evil" in place of "calamity" in the REB. I cannot agree with this because God is not evil nor does He do evil. But back to my point, it seems that in this incident that God had indeed become angry with those worshiping the golden calf and had every intention of bringing calamity on them. It appears that Moses reasoned w/ God and reminded Him of His promises to Israel.
      Now, I'm most likely mistaken, being a babe in spiritual matters, but doesn't God change His mind here after Moses reasoned w/ Him? I'm not implying that God didn't know what would happen, or that He didn't have it planned out already. Was He seeking intercession from Moses, as indicated by the translators concerning verse 10 that reads, "Note well, that behind these words, scarcely concealed, lies encouragement to intercession"? God does of course go on to destroy all but Josuha and Caleb anyway. Was God just "testing" Moses , and delaying the inevitable?  I just want to know and understand what truthfully happened here in this particular situation. I realize that you are quite busy, especially with the website and your studies, etc. I don't expect an answer directly, but if you're ever writing an article and this comes up, I'd love to see what you say about it. I have yet to read every word of this great and enormous site, so the answer may already be in the pages of your work somewhere. Anyway, you take care, and may God be with you always! Keep up the GOOD work Mr. Smith. I doubt you know how much it is appreciated by some of your readers.
Tim

Dear Tim:
Well that was pretty slick--you won't ask me about one verse where God supposedly "repent," but you will ask me of ANOTHER verse where God supposedly "repent"--changes His mind.

I have answered this question numerous times on my site. Plus, I have written 120 pages on the subject in great detail. You verse does not contradict my 120 pages. You need to read my paper on "The Myth of Free Will" until you understand it.  God did NOT change His mind from His original intention, anymore than He did with Jonah and Nineveh or a hundred other Scriptures--LEARN THE PRINCIPLE, and you won't be stumped with hundreds of individual verses of Scripture.
God be with you,
Ray
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:08:33 PM by Kat »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.