bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I do with my life?  (Read 5015 times)

space.ace.jase

What should I do with my life?
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »

Hi all,

Long time reader, second time poster  :) I'll try and keep this as short as I can as I know I ramble a lot.

I have a question which has been on my mind a lot lately and that is just exactly what I should be doing with my life. I have a good job, caring family and friends and enough money to live fairly confortably with at the moment. I guess when growing up it is drilled into your head that your whole life should be spent to achieve the "american dream" (wife, kids, big house, cars, boats, holidays, etc.) but with the truth that God has thankfully given me I just can't do it. I don't want kids and I have been single for the last 5 years so I'm not really a lady killer (not that it matters). The thought of buying a house isn't really anything I would really want to do to be honest, I would rather give my money away to people less fortunate. Same with other things like cars and the like; I already have a half decent car that gets me around fine so just getting a nicer car just for the sake of it seems like a waste to me.

So I guess what I am trying to say is I feel like I have everything I wanted buy/achieve but just don't know what to DO with my life now. I have hobbies, go out with friends socially, spend time with family, see a movie or two etc etc and while I enjoy these things I feel like I should be doing something more important with my life. What does everyone else here do with their lives that makes them feel that they are doing something really important and worthwhile? I know what the "world" does (drink, smoke, take drugs, sex etc) but after doing these in my youth I know that it doesn't bring any joy whatsoever.

I love re-reading Ray's teaching and find the more I read the scriptures and remember them the more peace I get from God. I guess I feel God is calling me to do something MORE with my life rather than sit at home on weekends wasting time.

Anyway I'm going to end this post now before it becomes a few pages long; any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Space Ace Jase  :D

P.S. I am hardly rich and am paying off my car etc so please don't think I'm rolling in money and whinging about it; I am extremely greatful for the blessings that God has given me and I have come a long way from when my family was in large debt in the past.

mharrell08

Re: What should I do with my life?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »

Hi all,

Long time reader, second time poster  :) I'll try and keep this as short as I can as I know I ramble a lot.

I have a question which has been on my mind a lot lately and that is just exactly what I should be doing with my life. I have a good job, caring family and friends and enough money to live fairly confortably with at the moment. I guess when growing up it is drilled into your head that your whole life should be spent to achieve the "american dream" (wife, kids, big house, cars, boats, holidays, etc.) but with the truth that God has thankfully given me I just can't do it. I don't want kids and I have been single for the last 5 years so I'm not really a lady killer (not that it matters). The thought of buying a house isn't really anything I would really want to do to be honest, I would rather give my money away to people less fortunate. Same with other things like cars and the like; I already have a half decent car that gets me around fine so just getting a nicer car just for the sake of it seems like a waste to me.

So I guess what I am trying to say is I feel like I have everything I wanted buy/achieve but just don't know what to DO with my life now. I have hobbies, go out with friends socially, spend time with family, see a movie or two etc etc and while I enjoy these things I feel like I should be doing something more important with my life. What does everyone else here do with their lives that makes them feel that they are doing something really important and worthwhile? I know what the "world" does (drink, smoke, take drugs, sex etc) but after doing these in my youth I know that it doesn't bring any joy whatsoever.

I love re-reading Ray's teaching and find the more I read the scriptures and remember them the more peace I get from God. I guess I feel God is calling me to do something MORE with my life rather than sit at home on weekends wasting time.

Anyway I'm going to end this post now before it becomes a few pages long; any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Space Ace Jase  :D

P.S. I am hardly rich and am paying off my car etc so please don't think I'm rolling in money and whinging about it; I am extremely greatful for the blessings that God has given me and I have come a long way from when my family was in large debt in the past.

Hello Jase,

This may not be what you are expecting to hear, but I don't believe anyone can tell you how live your life. That is between you and God.

I will say that I had the same questions after learning the truths of God as I'm sure all members had. The Lord taught me to take overcoming of the flesh one day at a time. This helped me tremendously because when I was thinking of what to do with my life, I was thinking weeks, months, and years ahead of time. But the flesh was pulling me daily, constantly so I was feeling frustrated about what I was to do and if I would even be given the ability to overcome the flesh to do it. Once I started just thinking of today and today only in my walk in the faith, everything became simpler...though not easier.

The Lord has me study and read His Word daily and try to take it day by day...that's what He has for me so far and I'm sure He will reveal what He has for you soon enough.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »

Hi Space Ace Jase

Here is something from Ray to chew on

Hi Ray,

I will keep this very simply and short. Does GOD have a plan and destiny (specific) to each person? If so, how do you fnd or fulfill that specific plan?

Or is GOD's plan general to all but not specific to each person. Example: HE wants us all to know HIM, Love HIM. etc. Or is there some specific plan for each person. (Example: HE wants you to be a computer programmer).

I ofter read Jer 29:11-13 and wonder about a specific plan.

Thank you.

Julie

Dear Julie:  We are all far from understanding Who and What God really is, but there are at least a few things we can know for SURE about Him, and whatever we know for sure, if it is true, it will always be true seeing that God does not change.

Now then, I have taught most of the last 40 years of my life in vain according to the perceived results of my teaching.  Here are a couple of Truths regarding God that ALL Christians agree are true and that they believe, but just about everything else in their life, philosophy, theology, etc.,contradicts totally these basic truths.

[1] God is SOVEREIGN

[2] God is LOVE

[3] God is ALL-KNOWING

[4] God has a MASTER PLAN

Now then, what are the implications of those truths?  We need to meditate and think about these because most do NOT base their lives and their beliefs upon these truths.

We all want to know exactly what it is that God wants of us, how we should live, where, with whom, doing what work, for what end or purpose, etc.  Few of us are ever content to realize that we are right at this very moment EXACTLY where we are suppose to be, doing exactly what God has had foreknowledge of us doing from before the foundation of the world. Your entire PAST consisted of exactly what was determined you would go through up until this moment.  But what about tomorrow?  We all want to know what will be in our lives TOMORROW?  Unfortunately, this is not for us to know:  "Whereas ye know NOT what shall be on the morrow"  (James 4:14).

Not even James the great Apostle knew what each day would bring in his life.  Did the other Apostles all know what God had planned for their lives?

(CLV) Verily, verily, I am saying to you, When you were younger you girded yourself and walked where you would; yet whenever you may be growing decrepit, you will stretch out your hands, and another shall be girding you and carrying you WHERE YOU WOULD NOT" (John 21:18).

God does not tell us  exactly what He has planned for our lives. Yes, Jeremiah declared that the time would come that His people would cry out to God with all their heart and God would hear them, but even then, it is up to God, not you, to know when He will put it into your heart to cry out to Him, and up to Him as to how He will rescue you and save you. I know that this is not the kind of thing that people want to hear, but it is the Scriptural truth.

You can go to the Churches of this world, and they will tell you that you need to dream your dreams and if they are good ones, God will honor your every wish and cause you to be totally successful in whatever job, career, or endeavor you set your heart on.  And some even foolishly believe that they have caused their own dreams to come true.

If God gives you the desire to please Him, then God will not deceive or forsake you, and you will be the success that God desires you to be. But.....BUT, there is no guarantee that He will ever tell you what that will be, specifically.

Ray

Right now enjoy your blessings and bless others when you can. God has you exactly where he wants you.  Some here on the forum are where you are and others are going through very hard times and some have seen both sides.  Like Paul we all need to learn to be contnent in every situation and praise God in all circumstances...YOU DO NOT KNOW WHEN HARD TIMES WILL COME.

beloved

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:18:46 PM »

Greets Space Ace Jase,
 Although my situation is different from yours (I don't have a car, house, career, or much money), I often feel the same way. I'm still pretty young (24) but I think often about what i'm going to "do" with my life. I've travelled to numerous countries and had some grand adventures, but I do not have any particular plan for my future....sometimes I think I'll go back to college, other times I think I should just keep living the life of a nomad. And I think ALL the time about having a wife!  ;)  I must confess that I do a lot of worrying (not just wondering) about my future.
 Well, as if it's not already asking enough to want to know my future, I also wish I could know all of these great spiritual truths of God, AND I wish that I could be victorious over my flesh...and I know that both of these things will take a lifetime.

The e-mail that beloved posted was a timely reminder for me; it is good to remember that God is sovereign, and is guiding all of our steps. Whether I was a millionaire in a mansion, or a homeless man on the street, God would still be sovereign over my life, and over all men's lives. Like marques said, we just have to take it one day at a time, and put our trust in God.

:)

Stevernator

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »

As Extol said our Father wants us to place our trust and cares on Him. The more we stay in His word the more we learn about Him. I struggle a lot but I hope to be victorious if the Lord wills. Like Extol I am also a young man (22) and pondering what to do with my life. Abraham didn't know what His future held but he trusted in the Father and His goodness. But we can get guidance through prayer, scripture and the Spirit. I've had anxiety about worldly problems but I am trying to learn to trust in the Lord and that He will set things right in His time. I think that while we are learning to walk in His path we can draw near in obedience by overcoming the flesh with His help, setting our eyes on Christ, helping the poor/oppressed (thirsting for righteousness), sharing the gospel (Elohim gives the increase) and obeying His commands. Christ said on His own He can do nothing so we need His grace to live faithfully. (We bear fruit by abiding in the vine) Please pardon my disorganized train of thought.

Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 12
 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds

gmik

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »

Wow,  Great thread!  I needed it.  I have been thinking (wrongly) that why am I sitting here doing nothing but am healthy, and Ray, being mightily used of God, is seriously ill. Why him Lord?  Why not me??

Even tho I have been reading Ray for over 3 years, I still need his simple, straight forward teaching.  Beloved thank you for reminding me that God is Soveriegn and in Control.

Jase, do what you have been doing, stay diligent in His word, fellowship w/ Him, and soon enough you will REST in him and know that the answer is not in the DOING but in the OBEYING. Trust HIM to lead you.

Beloved

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »

If God has blessed you right praise Him and thank Him.  Since God has you exactly where He wants you, expect Him to present things to you...

Mat 26:11  For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

Now we know that the last portion pertained to Jesus physically being with them but He also promised that He would always be there spiritually and that they would be one with the Father as He was One with Him.

God will lead you to people in need, you can help them in their "daily" needs....especially the brethren.

Donate food to a local food bank.  Help someone who has lost their job, give out of abundance right now. Give out of your need, when called for. They are going to come into your life, what I do is different than what you may do.

You can donate to the forum
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3718.0.html

and you can help Ray personally with his medical expenses....
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8014.0.html

No one at the forum and certainly Ray will never ask you for support....but the ox is certainly worth his keep.

1Ti 5:18  For the Scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The laborer is worthy of his reward.

You are not going to get any bronze statues or eggs with little churches or crosses in it when you give.

When you give you are just God's delivery boy.

Buying a house or new cart is not wrong, we are to be good stewards...save and pay cash on a late model but safe car.  Stay out of debt.

Buy a house when it is financially the frugal thing to do. Make sure you do not pay too much or buy more house than you need . Take a 15 yr fixed make sure you can put 20 % down and pay this loan off as expediently as you can, pay biweekly so you end up paying less interest. For some renting is the best, if they need to be mobile for their job or are single with little time. 

We do not tithe  but it does not mean that we do not give. Everything we have is God's, so use it wisely.

Many women (spiritually this is his bride, called out ) ministered unto Jesus when He was in the physical.  I love this line

Luk 8:3  And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.   Out of their substance...From God to them and then to His Son.  See the Glory

You are not facing anything that many of us have not also experienced...it is a real Ecclesiastes moment...oh the vanity , vanity of all of our human pursuits...thus while we are in the physical state, we are no longer "of "the world even though we are in the world. 

beloved
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:46:09 PM by Beloved »

Linny

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »

Hi Jase,

I have believed for a long time that:

Psa 37:4
(ASV)  Delight thyself also in Jehovah; And he will give thee the desires of thy heart.

isn't just about God giving us what we desire but actually giving us the desires themselves.

If you are feeling a tug to do more, then perhaps He is in the beginning stages of showing what He has prepared for you to do.

Bless you,
Lin

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »

Can't add much of anything to the Spiritual advice given.  "Jesus is Lord" is not a slogan, it's a fact.  To seek first His Kingdom isn't a commandment to search for some illusory 'thing' outside of our own experience--some other 'place' to be--it's the Kingship of God and it's as personal as you and He are.  

Stay out of debt and redeem your time.  Keep comparing your life to Scripture and make what changes are needful as they become apparent to you, looking always to Him who is both the Author AND Finisher of your faith.  That means He starts it, and He will complete it.

You said, "I guess I feel God is calling me to do something MORE with my life rather than sit at home on weekends wasting time."  He probably is, Jase.  HIS ultimate goal for you is to conform you the Image of His Son.  Anything that moves you in that direction is God's work, although we may not see it at the time.  Jump in anywhere and do what you believe He is leading you to do...then examine it and see if it's getting you closer to a life reflected in Scripture.  That's abundant life.  All the greats in the Scripture had to wait and BE prepared for what God had in store for them.  Do you think Moses tending sheep had any idea that his experience would be valuable in leading a stiff-necked nation out of Egypt?

Oh me...I'd better stop too before this turns into too many pages.  ;)

Hang in there, Jase.  You are HIS workmanship.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dogcombat

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »

All the greats in the Scripture had to wait and BE prepared for what God had in store for them.  Do you think Moses tending sheep had any idea that his experience would be valuable in leading a stiff-necked nation out of Egypt?

Tis True, Tis True.  A real example of the PHYSICAL (Tending Sheep) being a SHADOW of what was to come SPIRITUALLY (leading a stiff necked nation out of Egypt)

Ches

space.ace.jase

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »

Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies, I shall meditate on them and God's word for a couple of months and I'm sure I will find the answers  ;D I guess this whole thread can really just be summed up by "I'm not satisifed with the life I live but feel too weak to make the changes to make it feel worthwhile"

One thing I believe God is leading me into is helping other people; and not just donating money (already do that) but actually getting your hands "dirty" and helping people. I struggle so much with my flesh because it keeps pulling me away and making me feel "stupid" or "lame" for wanting to help people and I usually give into this and don't bother and just spend more money/time to make myself feel better. Anyone else struggle with this a lot?

I guess as you say it will happen in God's timing not mine but I feel like the leap from donating a bit of money each week to actually say donating some of my time (as an example) is such a giant leap that I just can't make. I know this would really make me happy and that I really should be doing it but I give in to the flesh too easily.

Anyway thanks for all your help I will stay in God's word and I know that he will sort this out in my life; thanks you for all your kind words and advice  :D

aqrinc

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »

Hi space.ace.jase,

Long name ??? word to the wise, when you actually get your hands dirty the great reward in this life
is seeing real fruit grow for someone else to eat. It is about caring more for others than for yourself;
most of the world will think you stupid if they know. But remember whatever you do for others, do it
in secret so that our Lord Will Reward you openly and for the Aions.

Matthew 6:2:
"Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the
synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. "

Matthew 6:4:
"That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. "

Luke 6:35:
"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great,
and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. "

george. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.