bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Helper (HE/Him)??  (Read 4535 times)

winner08

The Helper (HE/Him)??
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

I have a question that I would like y'all to help me out with. It is about John 14:26, 15:26 and16:7. These scriptures speak of Jesus Christ sending down the Comforter to the disciples after He is gone. Now I was wondering about the wording. Jesus said John14:26: But The Helper the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John: 15:26 But when the Helper comes whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father  He will testify of Me. Then John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away , the Helper will not come to you but if I depart I will send Him to you.

Q-1. The Helper the Holy Spirit. are these the same?
Q-2. Jesus had to die first then send the Helper?
Q-3. Jesus said that the Helper would be sent down by the Father in Jesus name So Is the Helper Jesus Himself??
Jesus calls the the Helper (HE) will teach you all things. same in John 15:26 (He) will testify of me. John: 16:7 Jesus says If I depart I will (send Him) to you.
Is this Jesus Spirit that He will send to the disciples? Or is there another Spirit that came?

Kat

Re: The Helper (HE/Him)??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

Hi Darren,

Here is a section from the 'Trinity' article, I think it will help with your questions.

http://bible-truths.com/trinity.html -------------------

Next let’s consider who or what is the "comforter" mentioned only in John’s gospel account.

"And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you [it is not "from" the holy spirit, but "from" the Father] another Comforter [this word does not require a capital letter], that he [it] may abide with you for ever [Greek: for the aion--eon or age]. Even the Spirit of truth..." (John 14:16-17 KJV).

Remember that Jesus said "I am the truth." How then can this "comforter" be coming from both His Father and Himself? Is this possible? Once we understand just what this "spirit of truth," "spirit of God," "holy spirit," "holy ghost," "comforter" really is, we will see that it certainly DOES come from both the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

It is evident when checking various translations that the translators did not have a clear idea as to just what they should call this "comforter." In the Greek, the word is [parakletos BESIDE-CALLER].

~It can be "consoler" or "Entreater" in I John 2:1.

~The Moffatt translation has "...to give you another Helper..."

~The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has "...another Advocate..."

~The Revised Standard Version has "...Counselor..."

~The Monsignor Knox version has "...another to befriend you..."

~The Phillips Translation has "...some one else to stand by you..."

~And the Amplified New Testament has "...another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby)..."

It should be noted that not all translators capitalize this Greek word parakletos in their translations, nor do all translators use the pronoun "he" but rather "it."

From The Concordant Literal New Testament:

John 14:16-18, "And I shall be asking the Father, and He will be giving you another consoler, that it, indeed, may be with you for the eon--the spirit of truth, which the world can not get, for it is not beholding it, neither is knowing it. Yet you know it, for it is remaining with you and will be in you. I will not leave you bereaved; I am COMING TO YOU."

In this section of Scripture, Philip, Thomas, Peter, and Judas (and possibly all the Apostles) did not quite understand what Christ was teaching them. They especially didn’t understand how that Jesus was going away and that were He was going they could not come, but that it was necessary for Him to go away to His Father, or He could not send them the comforter or consoler.

Jesus was assuredly "the spirit of truth" of which He spoke. And as such Jesus was with the disciples. But now He is telling them that when He leaves them to be with the Father, He will come back to them, only this time He will not just be with them, but He will be IN them! The spirit of truth was with the apostles in the person of Jesus Christ, but He told them that after He left to be with the Father that this same spirit of truth would be in them. This is all done by "spirit," the spirit of God.

Notice verse 26 of John 14:

"Now the consoler, THE HOLY SPIRIT, which the Father will be sending in MY NAME..."

And see how this is done, verse 23:

"If anyone should be loving Me, he will be keeping My word, and My Father will be loving him, and WE shall be coming to him and making OUR abode with him.

This is done through the consoler, the comforter, the spirit of truth, THE HOLY SPIRIT of God! Jesus said He would not leave them "comfortless" (Ver. 18), so for sure Jesus must return to His followers to "comfort" them. This He did and still does by the "spirit of God" which God gave to His son Jesus and which the Father then turns around and gives FROM that very same spirit in Christ TO US! The following Scripture make this plain:

"All things that the Father hath are mine [all things include the holy spirit]: therefore said I, that He shall take of Mine [that is, of the spirit that His Father gave to Him], and shall shew it UNTO YOU" (John 16:15).

Here is one more proof that the "holy ghost [spirit]" and the "spirit of God" are one and the same. Here is what Jesus told His disciples would happen when they would be brought before magistrates and powers:

"And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say" (Luke 12:11-12).

In the very same account of this portion of Christ’s teaching in Matthew’s gospel, we read this:

"But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

There can be no doubt from these two accounts that the "Holy Ghost [spirit]" and the "Spirit of your Father" are one and the same spirit--THE SPIRIT OF GOD!
---------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:43:29 PM by Kat »

Stevernator

Re: The Helper (HE/Him)??
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »

From LOF 8
"But the Comforter [Greek, parakletos, also called the Consoler, and in I John 2:1, Advocate in KJV, and Entreater in the CLNT] which IS the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

The Advocate or Entreater in I John 2:1 IS the parakletos, The Comforter or Consoler of John 14:26 IS the parakletos,. and we are told that it is Jesus Christ Himself. Furthermore, the "Holy Spirit" that is said to come AS the Comforter is also Jesus Christ,

"Now the Lord IS that Spirit: and where the Spirit OF THE Lord [Jesus Christ] is, there is liberty" (II Cor. 3:17

I found some interesting scriptures that I think show how Christ ministers and intercedes for us today.

Psalm 110
 1A Psalm of David. The affirmation of Jehovah to my Lord: `Sit at My right hand, Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.'

2The rod of thy strength doth Jehovah send from Zion, Rule in the midst of thine enemies.

3Thy people [are] free-will gifts in the day of Thy strength, in the honours of holiness, From the womb, from the morning, Thou hast the dew of thy youth.

4Jehovah hath sworn, and doth not repent, `Thou [art] a priest to the age, According to the order of Melchizedek.'

5The Lord on thy right hand smote kings In the day of His anger.

6He doth judge among the nations, He hath completed the carcases, Hath smitten the head over the mighty earth.

7From a brook in the way he drinketh, Therefore he doth lift up the head!

Luke 20
41And he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son?

42And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

43Till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

44David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?

21(For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)

22By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

23And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:

24But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.

25Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Hebrews 9:11
But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

-Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 16 queries.