bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do we use Christ when its not a name but a Title  (Read 4486 times)

ecrement

Why do we use Christ when its not a name but a Title
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »

I have thought about this in recent months. If you talk to someone who not in the church would they understand what you when mean using the term Christ instead of Jesus. One person said Christ is not Jesus last name. In some translation they used the word messiah instead of Christ what right?

Ecrement

Amrhrasach

Re: Why do we use Christ when its not a name but a Title
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »

I have thought about this in recent months. If you talk to someone who not in the church would they understand what you when mean using the term Christ instead of Jesus. One person said Christ is not Jesus last name. In some translation they used the word messiah instead of Christ what right?

Ecrement

Hi Ecrement,

Found in Esword:

G5547
Χριστός
Christos
Thayer Definition:
Christ = “anointed”
1) Christ was the Messiah, the Son of God
2) anointed
Part of Speech: adjective

And from the Barnes commentary.

Christ - The word “Christ” is a Greek word, Χριστός  Christos, signifying “anointed.” The Hebrew word, משׁיח  mâshîyach, signifying the same is “Messiah.” Hence, Jesus is called either the Messiah, or the Christ, meaning the same thing. The Jews speak of the Messiah; Christians speak of him as the Christ.

Hope this helps.

Gary

charrie

Re: Why do we use Christ when its not a name but a Title
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »

Ecrement

Hi, Ecrement

I know what you mean, people do use the name Christ as if it were Jesus' last name.

But on that course, I don't believe anyone in the bible has a "last name".  I saw on the History Channel once where they were claiming that our Big Brother Jesus was actually married to Mary and they had a child.  Now my question is this, and I know it isn't true, how would they trace this child through the generations if they had no last names..would the babies name be Jesus Christ II

Just my thoughts  :-\

charrie :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.