bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mummers Parade  (Read 4378 times)

Marlene

Mummers Parade
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »

Hello, I saw something on TV today I have never heard tell of. It is the Mummers Parade.  I know, Musicman loves to play instruments and  lovesmusic. This seemed like something that came from outer space to me. LOL My Husband called me in to see it. It has been going on since the 17th century. It was crazy . LOL  Just wondered if any one has ever heard tell of it.  If, not you will have to go in and see it in action.

Even, my husband had to admit it was something like he had never seen. Just, wondered if you use any of there techiques Musicman. LOL

Marlene

NoviceBeliever

Re: Mummers Parade
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

Marlene:  I ran into this thread early this morning, when I was looking for some information on another topic...so since no one else provided any info, I thought I might enlighten the group.

My grandfather, Cyril Daly, is actually in the Mummers hall of fame (yes, they do have a museum in Philadelphia) He is the oldest living Mummer at age 94, and up until last year, when he suffered a stroke, he was marching in every New Years Parade, and all other events they do each year. No small feat for a man, wearing a 50-60 pound costume made up of plummage, rhinestones, and glitter, while playing the accordian, and marching in freezing weather for the better part of 12 hours.  I believe that he has been a member since 1931 (approx).

I have very fond memories of going to parades and "The Show of Shows" competitions with my grandparents. It was always such a treat and all the grandchildren would fight over whose turn it was to go.  And of course you can image all the Halloween Costumes that could have been built from the remnants.

If you are so inclines, the history of how it got started can be found at  http://www.mummersonnationaltv.com/history.htm

Thanks for the memories. NB

meee

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »

Marlene and NB,
              Never heard of this, so thanks for telling us about it.
               Wow, it is quite something!
                Oh NB, to have fond memories like you have, is so wonderful!
                             hugs,meee

Marlene

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »

NB, that is so cool. My husband was watching it one day. I just told him about your grandfather. Who, would have ever dreamed. We were so impressed at how well they could perform with all there out fits on. Plus dancing and moving. I made it my favorite so my husband can go in  and look at it.

Marlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.