bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Music and Dancing  (Read 23983 times)

Mbwa

Music and Dancing
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »

I know this has been discussed here before, but this is very troubling to me.  Very.  It is of course regarding rock and other modern music.  Now, I listen to this stuff.  I like it.  It is a part of my life, but it is not my life.  After starting my journey, though, I started to hear how this is wrong.  Many people who say this are people that are shunned here at bible-truths, but they may be right on on that subject.  This worried me, of course, that the music I grew up with could be evil.  So I started to research.  I always knew that if the lyrics were bad, I wouldn't listen to it.  That stays true.  But now I started to get into the 'beats.'  The fact is, modern music is danceable.  Not to say it is this evil spell that takes total control of you and makes you dance, but it is more danceable than hymns, or Mozart.  Now, I never dance, personally, but again, it is said that dancing is just filling in human's evil sexual desires of the flesh.  I read a paper or something by this guy saying how dancing is mentioned in the Bible, but he showed it was no longer suitable for worship.  Therefore, dancing is bad.  Therefore, rock, jazz, blues, pop, metal, whatever, is bad.  And to make things worse, the music I listen to does not have a bad message, but a lot of it is not Christian.  So there is no bad message, but no decidedly Godly message, either.  Is this bad?  Then, even Christian music is subject.  I listen to some Christian metal.  Now, metal music, I will be honest, can get you pumped.  And the vocals are mostly screams, so you can't understand it at first, but I like to look up the lyrics, then once I know them, I can understand, and I hear the message.  So the music might still stimulate me, but I know the message is suitable.  But now I will head back to the secular music.  Once again, it is not bad in it's lyrics, but not Christian.  So suppose I do get an urge to dance while listening to a secular song.  Is this wrong?  I'm sorry for rambling, but I would really appreciate a reply, as this stresses me out every day of every week and I need some guidance.  I really appreciate how kind everyone here has been.  Thank you.

Mbwa

EKnight

Re: Music and Dancing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »

I just got finished playing "rock band" with my kids.  Some of the lyrics are questionable but my theory is always that God knows my heart.  He knows that playing guitar with my kids is a way for me to interact with them and it is also a way to release pent up energy or stress.  Harmless fun.  So if music and dancing is sinful, then I will probably be guilty all of my days.  Although everything is second to God. 

Eileen

Ninny

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »

Dear Friend (Dog!) I remembered from your other post!
I think personally that you are really missing something in your search for the truth. Remember we are told to "Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."  Matt. 6:33 Now I know that Jesus was speaking about worrying about the things of life actually the necessities. But if you let God lead you in the way He wants you to go these other things will fall away.
You're young and it is hard to see what the course is ahead of you, but God is in control of all things! Just give the things you love over to Him and see what He does with them! Remember the rich young ruler who asked what he must do to be saved? Jesus said sell all you have and give to the poor. This is the same principle you must follow. Whatever keeps you from following Jesus without reservations is what you have to give away. If the things you love are against what God wants for you then when you give them away (to Him) He will not give them back to you. In other words you will lose your love for them. If He gives them back to you you will know when they are nice, but don't consume your life. Rest easy that His yoke is light! There are no burdensome rules to go by, just give what you love to God, you have to really do that anything else is not really giving it to Him. He is faithful and He will lead you. You try giving it to God by just saying, "Ok God I'm giving this to you I want you to do with this what you will. I will accept your will for my life." The more you fill your life with studying the Scriptures and seeking God's will the less important the things of the world will be to you.
Now Get On with your life sweetie!
Get out there and let God set you free from your worries and cares! No one is perfect, but we all want to be!! We stumble and fall and God picks us up and dusts us off! He'll do that for you, too
Now take a hug from me and chase your dreams!
Kathy ;)

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »

Hi Mbwa,

This goes along similar lines as your question about languages. If you are wise and strong
enough (In The Lord) to partake in and of anything and do it with a pure (not sinning heart)
what is the problem. However if you are looking to dally in anything that you think is wrong
and do it anyway; what does the Scriptures say:

Matthew 15:19:
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mark 7:14-23:
14-And, again calling near the multitude, he was saying unto them—Hearken to me, all! and understand:
15-Nothing, is there, from without the man, entering into him, which can defile him; but, the things which,
out of the man, come forth, are the things that defile the man.
16-If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. (omitted from rotherhams, weymouth, noyes translations)
17-And, when he entered into a house from the multitudes, his disciples began to question him as to the parable;
18-And he saith unto them—Thus, are, ye also, without discernment? Perceive ye not that, nothing, from without,
entering into the man, can defile him;
19-because it entereth not into his heart, but into his stomach, and, into the draught, is passed—purifying all foods?
20-And he was saying—That which, out of the man, cometh forth, that, defileth the man;
21-For, from within, out of the heart of men, the base designs, come forth,—fornications, thefts,
22-murders, adulteries, covetousnesses, knaveries, deceit, wantonness, an evil eye, profane speaking, foolishness,—
23-all these wicked things, from within, come forth, and defile, the man.

I Corinthians 10:31:
Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17:
and whatever ye do, in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God, the Father, through him.

Colossians 3:23:
Whatever ye do, do it from the heart, as to the Lord, and not to men,

george. :)

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Mbwa
I know this has been discussed here before, but this is very troubling to me.  Very.  It is of course regarding rock and other modern music.  Now, I listen to this stuff.  I like it.  It is a part of my life, but it is not my life.  After starting my journey, though, I started to hear how this is wrong.  Many people who say this are people that are shunned here at bible-truths, but they may be right on on that subject. 

Why would you say that many people are "shunned" here at B-T's?

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »

My question also Patrick, I don't know of anyone shunned at BT for listening to Rock music.  That is about the only music I listen to now.

Am I going to be shunned? ???

Craig

Kat

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »

Patrick and Craig, that's what I thought he meant at first, but I think he forgot the comma.  Many people who say this, are people that are shunned here at bible-truths,   Now I think he was saying that we shun these 'church' people, Baptist and other denominations that think dancing and listening to rock music is a sin.  Am I right on this Mbwa?   And I guess what he said is right as shun means - to avoid deliberately or habitually.

Oh yea I listen to rock music too.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

OBrenda

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »

I still listen to Rock and other styles myself.

I love dancing, but with two knees in need of replacement, looks like I'm doing a chicken dance....lol... :o

True "Worship" is to obey his Commandments!

In Music, Dance, Driving to Work, Eating, Drinking, & Socializing.....do all with a mind to glorify God!

My 2 cents,
Praying for your Peace in this Issue!
Brenda
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:27:35 PM by OBrenda »

Mbwa

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:10 PM »

"Many people who say this, are people that are shunned here at bible-truths"

Yes, Kat, that was what I meant.  Sorry for the mix-up.  And I know shunned sounds harsh.  I couldn't come up with a better word.  You know what I mean though.  Those people who'll judge you like mad after warning against judging others.  The ones who use the Word as a source of profit.  The ones obsessed with eternal torture. 

Anyway, I must say, and I'm being quite honest here, I'm like amazed at how kind everyone is here.  Sounds so sugar coated but I'm serious.  I really appreciate everyone's efforts to give me some insight.  I just hope I can be of help some day instead of asking questions all the time!  They told me God was love, and now I believe them.  God bless.

Mbwa

aqrinc

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »

I am breaking the piggybank with this one. :)

It has been said thet music soothes the savage beast. Well i am glad that our mods like music or
we could be done in a flash sometimes. ;D Up to about 2 maybe 3 years ago nothing excited me like
an invitation to a party, and dancing was like an OBE many times for me. In fact for about 25 years
just to be sure there would be a party; we held one at our home 3 or 4 time each year 8). Favourite
dance music was in order of preference: :P Reggae, Punta Rock, Ballroom, Soul, Cumbia, Salsa and
Lambada. I seem to have lost my taste since then along with the alcohol to excess and swivel neck. ::)

Still look once most times, sometimes twice; but no longer feel the compulsion to do something about
it (the look) or can stamp it down much easier now. It seems that what was almost an obsession once
is now no more than some fond memories and interesting experiences to have learned from.

To be able to either sing, dance, play a musical instrument or entertain and help people relax :) for a
short time is a Gift From God. All is of God and as long as we do whatever we do to Edify the brethren
and Glorify Our Lord Jesus Christ; who can lay a charge on anyone.

Mbwa, hopefully you have picked up from these replies what you are looking for.

Philippians 4:4-9
4-Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, Rejoice!
5-Let your moderation be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6-Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,
let your requests be made known to God.
7-And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8-Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right,
whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any
virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things.
9-Do those things which you have also learned and received and heard and seen in me. And the God of
peace shall be with you.

george. ;D

Ninny

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

Hey everyone! Do you realize we all said the same thing in different ways? Cool! We are a pretty diverse group here! My grandsons have such a hard time because the little Baptist school they go to is very strict, and they do condemn rock music & contemporary Christian music. Oh but you know they LOVE Southern Gospel!! WHAT praytell is the difference?? OH, wait Southern Gospel music doesn't use drums, does it? I forgot! Well they have that ANNOYING crescendo at the end of each song! I'm happy to report that my son and his wife  have decided to take them out of there and homeschool them :D
Music does calm the savage beast! Just ask Musicman, he'll testify! What do you think keeps him from clobbering those kids in his classes? It's the Music, man!!  ;) ;)  :D ;)  8) hee hee!
Kathy ;)

Amrhrasach

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

Music is a universal language and everyone feels a “beat” in some way or another and it’s shown from each through different methods.  Some by tapping there toes, some by bobbing their head, some by slapping their hands against their leg, etc.

I’ve played southern rock music all my life and also the blues.   I still do.   My taste has changed considerably by going back to playing bluegrass.   But I still “turn it up” when I throw a Skynyrd cd in the player, or when I crank up my amp (which I’ll be doing just that come Thursday when a buddy comes to visit).   

I don’t believe for a second that the Lord will be dis-pleased in some way when I toggle that amp once again.

I tap my foot while I play, but I’m really dancing and keeping beat. 

It wasn’t so much the music being played, which is God’s gift to me by the way, it was when I turned it into an IDOL of the heart that became the problem. 

2Sa 6:5  And David and all the house of Israel were dancing before Jehovah with all instruments of fir wood, with lyres and with harps, and with tambourines, and with sistra, and with cymbals.

Psa 150:5  Praise Him on the sounding cymbals; praise Him with the resounding cymbals.

If you feel like dancing, dance.

Gary

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »

Amen! That is cool! Love Skynyrd!! ;D
Kathy ;)

Marlene

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

I enjoy music and have been involved in it most of my life. I like all kinds of music. My Husband does too. We love to play it when we have friends over for dinner and have a good social time together.

In His Love,
Marlene

musicman

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »

I just got another revelation from god. He said:

Musicman, you must warn the people about the evil of music.

What?  I'm a musician, god.

No, I'm not talking about good music, I'm talking about the garbage that people blast in their cars and neighborhoods.

Wait, so you say that nobody should listen to that stuff?

No, Music Man, that's not what I'm saying.  People can listen to what ever they feel like listening to.  I'm saying that anyone that forces everyone else to listen to their loud crap is of the devil.  Decibal levels should be kept at low levels and that ridiculous electronic beat that pisses you off so much should be answered with their stereo being destroyed with a sledge hammer.

OK, but what if they don't listen to me.

They won't.  I'll take care of their inconsiderate behinds.  What goes around, comes around.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »

Unlike many of my musical friends, I don't have it playing all the time.  The great majority of the time, I am listening to the sound of silence.  But it's almost always playing in my heart and head, and it's such a blessing when what's in there gets to come out.

I am so glad that God knows our hearts--especially considering that we don't really know them ourselves.  It's a blessing when He shows us what's in there--whether that be 'bad' or 'good'.  Give Him the rightful authority to tell you what to do with this, and don't build an altar to your current understanding--what Ray teaches as Idols of the heart.

Don't listen to those folks who would be 'shunned' at B-T.  They have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof.  How do they do that?  Don't they believe God spoke the universe into existence in 6 literal days?  Sounds pretty danged powerful to me.  They deny the Power of God by insisting that the will of man and angels is stronger and contantly thwarts and frustrates God, leaving Him with no alternative but to cast them away forever.  They deny the power of God by not believing that His express purpose for the creation is to bring ALL of mankind into His family by conforming them into the image of His Son.  Anybody who would deny the Power of God that way shouldn't be giving lessons on how to live life.  That's what I think, anyway.   :D

As for me?  I'm gonna rock on with my bad self.   ;D ;D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

aqrinc

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »

Hi Musicman,

Those are members of you future constituency :o (CIC or VCIC) ??? so be nice about the loud music. ::)
btw, maybe if you promised a boombox in every cruiser that will get you some uncommited voters. :-\

;D LOL ;D

george. ;D

I just got another revelation from god. He said:

Musicman, you must warn the people about the evil of music.

What?  I'm a musician, god.

No, I'm not talking about good music, I'm talking about the garbage that people blast in their cars and neighborhoods.

Wait, so you say that nobody should listen to that stuff?

No, Music Man, that's not what I'm saying.  People can listen to what ever they feel like listening to.  I'm saying that anyone that forces everyone else to listen to their loud crap is of the devil.  Decibal levels should be kept at low levels and that ridiculous electronic beat that pisses you off so much should be answered with their stereo being destroyed with a sledge hammer.

OK, but what if they don't listen to me.

They won't.  I'll take care of their inconsiderate behinds.  What goes around, comes around.

WhoAmI

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »

I know for a fact that God has used music to help me. I am very thankful for it. Music, laughter, and other such blessings I am very thankful for.

We know Jesus is the Rock! He rocks!! So shall we rock!  :)

jennie

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »

Did ya'll see that movie Talledega Nights where they were fixin' to bless the food and talking about what they liked to picture Jesus being? One of the guys said he liked to picture Jesus singing lead for Skynard with the angel band playing too! It was so funny! We buck dance here but we do all other kinds too. I have just as much rock, heavy metal as anything else. So as someone said earlier..." I will just keep rocking with my bad self"!

Patrick

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »

Quote from: jennie
I have just as much rock, heavy metal as anything else. So as someone said earlier..." I will just keep rocking with my bad self"!

Austrian Death Machine, Five Finger Death Punch, Bullet For My Valentine, Texas Hippie Coalition, SlipKnot, etc..
Let the shunning begin. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.