bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music and Dancing  (Read 23989 times)

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Music and Dancing
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 01:01:06 AM »

oy dave,
what the heck is prog music  ???. your "more serious" reply to mbwa was inspiring, even to someone who has no idea what prog music is.

claudia

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »

What is termed 'progressive' music (rock especially--aka PROG) is characterized by time signatures other than the usual 3/4 and 4/4, or of changes in time signature (frequent or unexpected, in practice) within longer musical phrase.   

Looking at Time Signatures, the latter number is the 'length' of the beat at whatever tempo.  In 3/4 and 4/4, the last '4' indicates a quarter note.  In 7/8, an eighth note.  In 13/16, a sixteenth note. 

The first number indicates the number of beats per measure.  In 3/4, it's 3--3 quarter notes per measure....in 4/4 it's 4--4 quarter notes per measure...in 7/8 it's 7--7 eighth notes per measure.

To add to the confusion, 4/4 (or common) time usually has a 'feel' related to how the beats are divided.  You can have an 8-count feel in a 4/4 measure...that's one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and.  I can't really describe a 16 count feel, but it exists.  "Pushes" are another lesson entirely and have to do with where the accent falls.  Accents are the stronger beats in the rythm.  As for synchopation, I absolutely can't describe that, but I know when I hear it.   ;D  And triplets?  Oh my...that's like 3 accents occuring over the space of 2 'beats'. 

Anyways, as the Catholics would say, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.  Do wop Do wop Do Wop Do Wop." 

I'm joking with Mbwa about playing prog--but he understands that.

For us oldbies, George Harrison (solo) is a good reference for easily acccessible Prog, as are Kansas, earlier Genesis, and Jethro Tull.  It can feel very natural, but it can also be jarring, depending on the intention of the musician and the expectation of the listener.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:39:57 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Ninny

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

Wow,Dave! That's cool 8)
I still have that question about those improper fractions! :D What about time signatures like 9/8 & 5/4? Is that like really fast music?  ??? I mean if an 8th note gets one beat and there are 9 beats per measure, oh see I am just too musically illiterate! Where do you find find these kind of time signatures? I guess I just never learned anything since elementary school :(  (Oh well I guess this isn't the place for such questions) ;)
We will save that for another thread! :D  Anyway, that is still good advice you gave to Mbwa!
Smile!
Kathy :)

Mbwa

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »

Here are the answers to your questions, Dave.  But first I'd like to clear something up:  The fundamentalist isn't my friend.  I don't even know him/her.  I just go on fundamentalist websites sometimes to find out what exactly they think is wrong with rock.  Anyway:

1.  I'm assuming you mean the band.  About that, I am quite excited.  One of my friends is quite the musician, it will be fun.  Right now though, I am at a very beginner level in my guitar playing, but I like sonic experimentation, so I was just invited to help out with little stuff for now, I guess.  Although later I'm sure I will get more involved in music with my friends.  I will probably never be a pro 'rock star.'  My one friend whom I mentioned earlier, the main man in this project, has been to a few places with his current band, and he'll probably go further with music than I will.  However, if we get something going, I'm sure I'd love a little travel to a few shows and stuff.  I don't think it's dangerous, considering the type of music we play.  Sure, it's 'rock,' but it's softer, kind of strange sounding, 'nerdy' rock, I guess.  A kind of indie-rock if you know what I mean.  I'm pretty sure my friends are free of drugs and sex and stuff like that, the venues my friend has played at have just been little things like a church hall venue, a little
college place, and a few little festivals devoted to that type of indie music.  (Although he did tell me a funny story about one of his shows, where after he performed, a guy wearing all black, leather jackets and stuff, approached him to talk.  My friends music is kind of psychadelic, spacey.  Like I said, he doesn't do drugs, but people who do are often attracted to this type of music.  Anyway the guy said that he's done a bunch of drugs, and that my friend's music was really 'amateur' in that regard.  Creepy.)

So no, I don't think it will be dangerous at all, especially since our parents would accompany us to every show we'd happen to play.

2.  If I learned that rock was music straight from the devil, harmful to the soul, meant for pagans, then yes, it would.  I'll be honest, I'd be quite sad if I heard this.  I mean, I've listened to music all my life.  If you think about it, it's rather unavoidable.  TV jingles could be considered rock, along with theme songs, mainstream radio, music playing in stores.  So yeah, it would change my life if you want me to be honest which I'm sure you do.

3.  Hmmm...  Well, even though their words scare me, like I just said, contemporary music is everywhere.  I'm less likely to listen to my mp3 after listening to a Baptist preach against rock, but my family'd think I was crazy if I told them to turn off the car radio because it was evil!  I think it'd be quite hard to train myself to hate this stuff.  Even when I'm scared of music, like right after I hear that it's evil, I'll still talk with my friends about different bands and odd time signatures [:)] and such.

And finally, about question four:  I don't know, and I think that's my problem.  But, I did take Ninny's advice from earlier.  I 'handed over my music' to God, and I haven't lost interest.  I may have done it wrong though, if there is a proper technique. :)

Thanks for the help.

Mbwa

aqrinc

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »

Hi Mbwa,

Just rest for a while Brother; He Will Teach and Guide you, once you get done trying to do it yourself. :-\

Jesus Christ Is Lord' He Has Sent The Comforter; Rest. :)

george. ;D

And finally, about question four:  I don't know, and I think that's my problem.  But, I did take Ninny's advice from earlier.  I 'handed over my music' to God, and I haven't lost interest.  I may have done it wrong though, if there is a proper technique. :)

Thanks for the help.

Mbwa

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

Thanks, Mbwa.

As far as I know, there is no 'moral' color given to music in the scripture.  As far as I know there is no 'prohibition' on types of music, although you are already aware that music can and does have a pshychological and physical effect on people.  It is not ungodly to enjoy music.  Parts of the scripture were set to music.  King David was a song-writer, though he was by no means and in every way a good example of a godly life.  It wasn't his music that made him a 'good' person when he was good.  It wasn't his music that made him a 'bad' person when he was bad.  What's the saying--music is the soundtrack of our lives?  I guess that's kinda true, but for people who make it, it's also a part of the expression of our lives.

There can be evil associated with it, just as there can be evil associated with being a judge, a policeman, a physician, a preacher, or a rag merchant.  You know that already.  That's for you to navigate by the Grace of God.  It won't be in the music, though it might come OUT of it (just not in some juju way).

Always consider the source.  Did you know that 93.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot?  Sometimes I think a similar percentage of 'christian' ideas are made up on the spot.  I don't want to have an argument with him via you over the internet.  There's something deeply machavellian wrong with religion and many religious folks.  Just consider the source. 

Anyways.  Don't make music your idol, don't leave off the weightier matters, and don't turn temporary decisions into permanant religions--Jesus is Lord.

Let us know what happens.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

judith collier

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »

Dave in Tenn. Where did you get that expression ("it ain't got a thing if ain't got that swing") from Catholicism?  I don't think people should say things off the cuff about others if they can't prove it. So where?

Ninny

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »

Judy that is a line from an old song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVu1i0gjXmo&feature=related
go give a listen :D
Originally from the 1940's Duke Ellington?
Kathy ;)

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »

Yeah, Judy it was just a joke. 

musicman

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

Speaking of music and the church:

During the days of the French Revolution, Catholics tried to have pipe organs destroyed.  Music was said to be of the devil.

judith collier

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 02:55:38 AM »

Oh, o.k. and I did know the song, in my parents business endeavors we always had a juke box and my father was always singing, my friends would come over on Sunday and my father would open the juke box and we could play anything we wanted and dance on the dance floor. We always had free cokes and potato chips and when my mother owned an ice cream shop she would let us make sodas and sundaes. Funny, I just wanted a home like other people.  Judy

Ninny

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »

Wow! Musicman I didn't know that, very interesting! Hmmm.
Kathy :o

jeetkunejimi

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »

Music is an intrinsic part of human nature, God put it in all our hearts, you just don't evolve a liking for Nickleback or Frank Sinatra.

So you grow up with whatever, then you see a different beat, then you wrestle with it, then you retrogress. Then you die. So what!? What will be will be. Let it be. xx.
Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

Ninny

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »

Hi jeetkunejimi! Have you been in hibernation? haven't heard from you in awhile! I get a little sad when people stay gone for a while around here!
I like your philosophy! ;D
Kathy ;)

jeetkunejimi

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »

Hi Ninny,
             no I'm not hibernating sister, I just speak when I feel the need to, that's all.

I do have a question you may be able to help me with though, do you know what the keys are to press to search Ray's sight? I remember once that someone posted that info but I can't find the post. It was something lkie hold the D key down and press the space bar or something and then the options appoear. If could help with that I'd probably come out of my cave more often.lol.xx. 
Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

mharrell08

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »

Hi Ninny,
             no I'm not hibernating sister, I just speak when I feel the need to, that's all.

I do have a question you may be able to help me with though, do you know what the keys are to press to search Ray's sight? I remember once that someone posted that info but I can't find the post. It was something lkie hold the D key down and press the space bar or something and then the options appoear. If could help with that I'd probably come out of my cave more often.lol.xx. 

Here you go: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5460.0.html

Marques

jennie

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »

This goes back up the thread a bit.... buck dancing is good ole mountain dancing that will stomp a hole through the floor! Another aside and I hope I don't offend her..... have ya'll seen this show 17 and counting. It's about this family that has 17 kids and the Mama is pregnant again! What is up with that???? We can't even feed the 2 of us(literally) right now much less all those young'uns!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.