bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jesus being happy on earth?  (Read 9504 times)

AK4

Jesus being happy on earth?
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »

Can someone please show me where Jesus showed joy or happiness during His time on earth?  He had joy and happiness within him but did he express any joy.  He was thankful in all things but i cant think of where He showed joy or happiness openly.

Anthony

AK4

Re: Jesus being happy on earth?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »

Might i add, Jesus was about His business and other than His business was there something where It showed He was joyess(is that a word?) or happy?

He was glad for the Fathers sake about Lazarus, but Himself showing gladness or happiness or whatever you want to call it?

14 So Jesus then said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, 15 and I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, so that you may believe; but let us go to him."

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »

Can someone please show me where Jesus showed joy or happiness during His time on earth?  He had joy and happiness within him but did he express any joy.  He was thankful in all things but i cant think of where He showed joy or happiness openly.

Anthony

Excerpt from 'Fools, Hypocrites, Snakes' (http://bible-truths.com/fools.htm):

SELECTIONS CONCERNING JESUS—THE HUMBLE SERVANT OF MAN

"I must be about my Father’s business… I must preach the Kingdom of God, for therefore am I sent… God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power: Who went about doing good and healing… Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men… Why call Me good? There is none good but One, that is, God…

Rejoice and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven… You are the light of the world... Love your enemies… I will come and heal him… the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head… Daughter, be of good comfort… Son, be of good cheer; your sins be forgiven you… I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life…

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness… Peace I leave with you… love ye one another, as I have loved you… Neither do I condemn you… He departed again into a mountain Himself alone, to pray… Be not afraid only believe… You are My friends… You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and you shall love your neighbor as yourself…

For the Father Himself loves you… In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit… I have spoken openly to the world… Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus lovedI have compassion on the multitude… Jesus wept…

Let the little children come to me… Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…

With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you… he poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel… O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings… And when they [and Jesus] had sung an hymn

Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from Me: nevertheless not My will, but Thine, be done… And being in agony He prayed more earnestly: and His sweat was as if were great drops of blood falling down to the ground… Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do… IT IS FINISHED… they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread, Jesus said to them, COME AND DINE" (Excerpts from the Gospels).

Jesus identified with our humanity when He said: "Simon, Simon… Martha, Martha…" Jesus was profoundly human. He was after all, the humble servant as the Son of man. But He was also the wise and powerful Son of God. Jesus spoke gently with the meek, but His speech EXPLODED with the wicked.

Sorry I don't have the exact scriptures but you can copy and paste into any bible site like bible gateway and find the exact ones.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »

Why does He have to be happy ??   ::)   He was amongst carnal sinful flesh when on earth.

He was not an ogre or doleful...he was probably serious but not at all unapproachable in the first  three gospels He says

Luk 18:16  But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Little children are pretty receptive to moods so I suspect he was comforted by them and what they represented.

He was pleased when the centurian and the woman from canan showed more faith than those in Israel had

(Mat 8:10)  When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

When the woman from canan with the sick daughter persisted despite being strongle reproached by jesus

(Mat 15:28)  Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

I also think that He was pleased when he quoted Isahiah 61:1 and part of 2

(Luk 4:18)  The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

(Luk 4:19)  To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

(Luk 4:21)  And he began to say unto them, This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears.

(Luk 4:22)  And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

Most of all I think He was truly the happiest when He prayed to His Father.

beloved

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:04:00 AM by Beloved »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:57:11 AM »

Hi Anthony,

We know that Jesus was filled with the spirit and one of the fruits of the spirit is joy.

Gal 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...

He was perfect, so He would have been well rounded in all the fruits of the spirit.  Now we can not tell what His mood or emotions were by the written word usually.  But I am inclined to believe that He was a happy and joyful person.  We know that Jesus loves people and it says He loved John (John 20:2) and how can you have love in your heart and not be joyful.  But they loved Him as well and I don't think it was just because they belived He was the son of God.  You have to believe that He shared happy times with the disciples and even had fun with them, besides all the serious stuff. 

Luke 10:21  In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

WhoAmI

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:05 AM »

Now little kiddies we are heading off to church. You will need to sit very still and say nothing.  :P

Of course Jesus was happy, he spoke up! Jesus wasn't a good little church boy.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »

Joh 15:10  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

Joh 15:11  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy (G5479) might remain in you and that your joy might be full.

G5479
χαρά
chara
khar-ah'
From G5463; cheerfulness, that is, calm delight: - gladness, X greatly, (X be exceeding) joy (-ful, -fully, -fulness, -ous).

Peace (and joy),

Joe

AK4

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »

Hi Anthony,

We know that Jesus was filled with the spirit and one of the fruits of the spirit is joy.

Gal 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...

He was perfect, so He would have been well rounded in all the fruits of the spirit.  Now we can not tell what His mood or emotions were by the written word usually.  But I am inclined to believe that He was a happy and joyful person.  We know that Jesus loves people and it says He loved John (John 20:2) and how can you have love in your heart and not be joyful.  But they loved Him as well and I don't think it was just because they belived He was the son of God.  You have to believe that He shared happy times with the disciples and even had fun with them, besides all the serious stuff. 

Luke 10:21  In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

I agree with everything you have said and it is true we have to believe He did have happy times with HIs disciples and probably many other times, but even when He rejoiced, this was in spirit and that doesnt necessarily mean this was expressed outwardly.

There are many verses showing His emotions of the opposite, but really only that verse in Luke may be where He may have expressed happiness outwardly.

how can you have love in your heart and not be joyful

Oh i can think of many ways this can be.  I went back and listened to Rays audio on love and can see how this can be applied also.

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

Anthony,

Only a completely carnal mind would still believe that rejoicing in The Spirit is somehow less than
any physical joy; you Anthony are not completely carnal. You already know the answer to your
question so you should, if still confused; go back and contemplate where is that spirit of doubt
coming from. Guard your thoughts with The Scriptures Brother;

Jesus Christ Said:

John 5:39:
Ye search the Scriptures, because, ye, think, by them, to have, life age-abiding; and, those Scriptures , are they which bear witness concerning me:

John 6:63:
It is the spirit that vivifies; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit, and they are life.

george. :) :(

I agree with everything you have said and it is true we have to believe He did have happy times with HIs disciples and probably many other times, but even when He rejoiced, this was in spirit and that doesnt necessarily mean this was expressed outwardly.

There are many verses showing His emotions of the opposite, but really only that verse in Luke may be where He may have expressed happiness outwardly.

Oh i can think of many ways this can be.  I went back and listened to Rays audio on love and can see how this can be applied also.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:44:05 PM by aqr »

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »

Heb 13:8  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever

James 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning

John 10:30  I and my Father are one

John 17:21-22  That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Thanks,

Marques

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »

Hello, I believe that Jesus was content with whatever state he was put in. But, I believe he was Happy cause he was not looking at this world here. He was looking at his Father and doing his will. He knew what spiritual blessings awaits us all.

In His Love,
Marlene

AK4

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »

Anthony,

Only a completely carnal mind would still believe that rejoicing in The Spirit is somehow less than
any physical joy; you Anthony are not completely carnal. You already know the answer to your
question so you should, if still confused; go back and contemplate where is that spirit of doubt
coming from. Guard your thoughts with The Scriptures Brother;

Jesus Christ Said:

John 5:39:
Ye search the Scriptures, because, ye, think, by them, to have, life age-abiding; and, those Scriptures , are they which bear witness concerning me:

John 6:63:
It is the spirit that vivifies; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit, and they are life.

george. :) :(

Like i said, i do believe in spirit Jesus was always happy, but the point i was trying to make is that it is very rarely recorded of Him showing outwardly happiness.  Maybe joy was coming out of Him everytime He cured someone or did a miracle?  Most likely this is the case.  Im just saying the gospel writers didnt really record this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.