bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prince = King?  (Read 4237 times)

deftarchangel

Prince = King?
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »

This is something I've thought about for some time, and I've checked the archives to the forum, and didn't find anything that addressed this.  I hope my question makes some degree of sense. 

In Scripture, Christ is given various names and titles.  But at various points, He is given both the title of "prince," and "king."  To my knowledge (which I admit....can be quite lacking sometimes ;)), these two titles are not synonymous.  A king has a higher ranking and authority over a prince.  A prince is essentially a king-in-waiting, the next in line to the throne.  You can't necessarily be a king and a prince at the same time (or can you?).  And yet, Christ is given both titles. He is the King of kings (1 Tim. 6:15, Rev 17:14), but yet He's called the Prince of the King's of the Earth (Rev 1:5).  What's the difference, if any?  Why is He only the Prince of Peace, and not the King of Peace?  Why is He the King of Glory, and not the Prince of Glory?  Is it merely to do with time, in the sense that when He does come into His reign, He will be upgraded from Prince to King?  I can't imagine that the two titles are interchangeable otherwise.

Why is the Adversary called the prince of this world, or the prince of demons?  I can understand that it may simply be a mistranslation, as more literal translations have Satan as the "ruler" of demons, rather than the "prince" of demons.  But most people accept either/or title for Satan in regards to his limited dominion of the earth.  Why isn't he the king of demons?  Is it because he doesn't have complete authority over those that follow him?

I understand that in today's world, we tend to throw out such titles rather flippantly, like calling Ozzy Osbourne the prince of darkness, or calling someone or something the king of such and such (like Burger King, or the king of beers etc).   But the Scriptures take such titles more seriously, and there's usually more significance to a title or word than what is perceived on the surface.  I was just wondering if Scripture regards the titles of "prince" and "king" differently, and if there is any significance to granting Christ both titles in such an interchangeable manner. 

Just a curiosity.   8)  Thanks for your time.

deftarch^i^       

hillsbororiver

Re: Prince = King?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »

Hi Deftarch,

Here is Rotherham's translation of Rev 1:5;

Rev 1:5 Jesus Christ, The Faithful Witness, The Firstborn of the Dead, and The Ruler of The Kings of the Earth.
Unto him that loveth us and loosed us out of our sins with his blood,

As you mentioned in your post, this is a translation issue as the primary definition means "first" or "chief."

G758
ἄρχων
archōn
ar'-khone
Present participle of G757; a first (in rank or power): - chief (ruler), magistrate, prince, ruler.

The other Greek (NT) word that is translated to "prince" is very similar;

G747
ἀρχηγός
archēgos
ar-khay-gos'
From G746 and G71; a chief leader: - author, captain, prince.

Peace,

Joe

deftarchangel

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »

Thanks Joe.  That does makes things a little clearer.    :)

Kind regards,

Rob ^i^

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »

Hi Rob,

You are very welcome, one of the things I (and many others) have learned here is that if a certain verse does not seem to flow or line up with the scriptures as a whole then it is prudent to check other translations and also to refer to a concordance such as Strong's.

Peace,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.