bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suffering and Prayer - to Judith and others  (Read 4376 times)

smeacham

Suffering and Prayer - to Judith and others
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

About three years ago I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  It hits more women than men, but when it hits men, it tends to hit harder.  It's certainly given me some challenges.

Hearing that I had an incurable disease, and being suddenly almost unable to talk, write, or walk, and being told that someday I may NOT be able to do those things, was quite a blow.  It didn't help, either, that the sensations ranged from numbness, to pain, but mostly feelings that words cannot even describe.  The doctor's tests hurt too - the spinal tap and such.  For weeks I was on steroids to help calm the exaberation, which brought on even more symptoms, almost as unpleasant as what they were meant to help with.

BUT, GOD HAD JUST PREPARED ME FOR SUCH NEWS!  He had only recently given me a glimpse of His true sovereignty and how to "Pray by God's Rules" as Ray says.  I didn't really "get it" then, but I got enough that I was able to trust God and go with His flow.

My depression and disbelief lasted about 3 days.  God had arranged for me to have this disease.  I did not know why, but I was almost excited to see what would come of it!  A new ministry perhaps?  I prayed for Him to work on and in me, rather than Him to work on the disease.

Please don't think that I'm proud or arrogant about my "superior spirituality."  It's just that God helped me so much when this happened, it was amazing, and His grace continues to get me through regular exaberations of the disease.  Understanding His sovereignty and purpose because of Bible-Truths.com so much better now than then really helps too.  I CAN'T imagine living with this any other way.  I shudder even to try.

I have to imagine that others with even worse conditions than I have, such as Ray and some I know on this forum, experience the same thing.

Indeed, as Ray's said about disease and sickness, God uses it to keep us humble.  My disease comes and goes, but not all the way.  Each time, it leaves me a little more permanently disabled than before.  Being a 39 year old man with a walker is certainly humbling.  But, I still have some good days/weeks too, where I can even put aside my cane for awhile.  Now, these are blessings, where I never saw "blessings" in such mundane activities before.

At the time I was diagnosed, I was still in my last and final church - a "Full Gospel" one that seemed to follow every wind of doctrine except for true ones.  I was a nobody - no longer a pastor or an elder.  God had already pulled me most of the way out of Mystery Babylon by then.  These guys didn't get it at all, and neither did Christian friends and family.  All they wanted to pray for was healing.  BUT I DIDN'T WANT HIM TO TAKE IT AWAY.  Or rather, I didn't want Him to take it away except when He was ready.  This was a really big point of contention.  I'd tell them to not pray for me that way, and they'd essentially look at me fondly, pat my head, and do it anyway.

I still face this with my friends and family.  They activate a prayer chain when my job is in jeopardy, or my MS flairs up, or whatever.  They want God to change what He's doing, but it seems SO inappropriate to me.  All I feel like praying anymore is thanking God for what I have, for God to work His Will in me and others, to give me more understanding, and just to chat.

I don't know if this helps anyone, and I'm not really asking any questions.  I think I'm just in my "honeymoon" phase on these forums, getting to talk about things I've been unable to talk about for so long.  Thank you for that opportunity.

Steve

Ninny

Re: Suffering and Prayer - to Judith and others
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »

Steve I appreciate your honesty about your situation. I know a sweet Lady who has Lupus and she just thanks God each day for the opportunity she has to serve him. She was a teacher until last year till she was not able to keep up with all the work and the kids, too. She is a pastor's wife (they are fully into their church) you would never know she was sick unless you just knew her activities day by day, some days are bad and some good.

God leads us in every situation we're in. We need to know that He is in control and we are His. God will bless you in all your endeavors if you trust Him to do it! I can see that you know that! :D
Kathy :D 

Marlene

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »

Steve, So, glad you feel free to share on the forum. I to suffer daily and have been told I will not stay out of a wheel chair. So, far so good with that. I have feelings that go through my body that I cannot describe to anyone. It hurts when family dont see what we see. But, even that is the cross we have to bare. I just love the fact that he knows how to keep us where he wants us. He is in complete control. I would not want it any other way. I can tell you feel the same on that.

Thanks so much on telling us about your life with pain and sickness. It helps to know that there are many like us. But, it is worth it all. God revealed his truths to me right after I had to stop working. I need lots of surgery. I am just trusting him and it is all in his hands. He already took me through a near death experience. But, no matter what the outcome I know he holds me in his hands.  I learned who was in control during that experience.

This is a wonderful forum. We can share our stories, our pain and sorrow, but also, how God enables us to get through it all. To him be all the Glory.

Wonderful place to find the truths of God and fellowship.

In His Love,
Marlene

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:15 AM »

dear steve,
i learned much from your post. i especially was reminded to reread again ray's teaching on praying by God's rules. i too have suffered with chronic pain for the past 10 yrs. albeit i cannot say that i know what it is like to be afflicted with ms. i have fibromyalgia and L5 radiculopathy. i have a cervical disc with a hairline fracture and degenerative disc disease. i am now 9 years out from having breast cancer, which thankfully was stage -0- meaning the tumor had just begun to form. i only needed a lumpectomy and 8wks of radiation. your post reminded me of what i had learned before on this website that sometimes our finest and most selfless prayer is to not ask God to heal us, but to just ask Him to do His will in our lives. to ask for the courage and strength in our pains and sufferings and heartaches and whatever it is we are going through. and also to remember to thank Him for walking with us in the difficult days. i know that our sufferings may seem grievous for the present but are nothing compared to the Glory we will know one day. i know that our Brother Saviour suffered to the highest proportion while on this earth and while on that cross, and He did it all with love. and i know He is our example. you are such an inspiration to myself and to others on this forum already. we are all here to bear each others sufferings and to share the love of the new family God is forming. i will continue to keep you in my prayers, according to God's true prayer.

claudia

judith collier

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:16:07 AM »

I've got to read those rules to pray by. And I might say your (all of you)faith puts me to shame, which is good.

dogcombat

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »

Steve,

May God continue to teach you to rejoice in your sufferings.  "for in them" you'll know the Glory of God even more each day.

ches

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »

I'm not Judith, but one of the others.  Thanks for the testimony.  It has increased my faith.

I know what you mean about that delight of finding people you can spill out some of that joy on.  I so much identify with that 'pat-on-the-head' thing, too.  He really does call the afflicted--spiritually and physically--into the wedding feast, and leave out those too comfortable and busy to come.

Thanks, again.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Ninny

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:52 AM »

I believe this is a song sung by the group Casting Crowns, when we just don't know what tomorrow will bring, which we do not, we can know that God is there and He never has and He never will leave us. He never changes, His love never fails and His mercy is great! His will is perfect and we are His. :D
His will be done in all of us!
Kathy :)

I WILL PRAISE YOU IN THIS STORM
I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.