bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Riddle  (Read 12249 times)

hillsbororiver

A Riddle
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »

Eze 17:2  Son of man, put forth a riddle and speak a parable unto the house of Israel;

We all know the bible is a giant parable, it can be a riddle as well. Anyone see a very relevent riddle below?

Exodus 4

1And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.

2And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.

3And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.

4And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand:

5That they may believe that the LORD God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath appeared unto thee.

6And the LORD said furthermore unto him, Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow.

7And he said, Put thine hand into thy bosom again. And he put his hand into his bosom again; and plucked it out of his bosom, and, behold, it was turned again as his other flesh.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

Re: A Riddle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

It is multi leveled (as is so much of scripture) therefore there is more than one "correct" answer......

Peace,

Joe

Ricky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »

I would like to take a guess at this one. The people needed proof that Moses had a chat with God. If Moses were to throw that rod down to the ground, it would probaly turn into a serpent. And in the same way Moses could change the color of his hand, magic tricks, so people would believe him.
                 Ricky
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

Hi Joe,

I may not understand the question, there are several riddles. One i see is that people walk
by sight and not by faith (they will not believe without some visual evidence). Even though
we learn in the Scriptures that The (Spiritual) things unseen are so much more Powerful than
the (physical) things seen.

george. :)

EKnight

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »

Ummm, only God can make people believe??  ??? :-\

Eileen

Falconn003

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »

Joel 2:25
"Then I will make up to you for the years That the swarming locust has eaten

:)

Rodger

larissa4676

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:18:06 AM »

I'll give it a try.

Verse 1. Adam and Eve didn't believe God nor did folks believe Jesus.
Verse 2. Jesus rules with and rod.
Verse 3. God cursed the serpent to be on the ground and eat "dust". Man is made from dust, but that's a whole nother riddle.
Verse 4. I don't have a guess.
Verses 5 6 and 7. Being called into babylon and it's makes us leprous. Then God calls us to come to His Church; we go in and are cleansed.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »

Hi All,

larissa you came pretty close there... Good show!

Can we look at these verses and see the beginning of the Church (at Pentecost) receiving the former rain, being of one mind, with one accord.

Act 2:1  And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Then we have;

Mat 15:9  But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

2Ti 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Rev 2:9  I know thy works and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Rev 14:8  And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.

We had the undefiled Church at Pentecost but in a short time the leaven began to take hold until the churches were totally corrupted, that is still their state but what is our hope? What is our promise? What is to come?

Revelation 22

1And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

4And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

5And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Amen!

Also as larissa pointed to is the individual fulfillment of this in all of our walks, losing sight of our first love (Christ) as we are tainted with the leaven of the Pharisees and the doctrines of devils but being called out of that system into a new and better One on one relationship with our Lord!

Peace (thanks to all who replied),

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »

:)

Rodger

Very cool Rodger,

I see you picked up on the theme or pattern! Anyone else have any verses that fit?

George, you are so right about several riddles being contained as is so true with all scriptures.

Peace,

Joe

Ninny

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »

Joe, you guys are so smart! I wish I was more of a deep thinker! :D
Great insights! I'm not a deep thinker, but I can see what you're saying!! :D
Kathy ;)

Beloved

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »

Lots of scripture there Joe I will add one cents too, short of time

Lets look at the words riddle and parable

H4912  משׁל  mâshâl  maw-shawl'
Apparently from H4910 in some original sense of superiority in mental action; properly a pithy maxim, usually of a metaphorical nature; hence a simile (as an adage, poem, discourse): - byword, like, parable, proverb.

H2420  חידה  chîydâh  khee-daw'
From H2330; a puzzle; hence a trick, conundrum, sententious maxim: - dark saying (sentence, speech), hard question, proverb, riddle.

Most of the obvious or non hidden riddles were in Judges centered around Samson (lots of spiritual metaphors there)  and as we know that the NT is "riddled with what appear to be plainly written parables but even these are not revealed to all.

Gen 3:22  And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever:

(Exo 4:2)  And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.

H4294  מטּה    מטּה  maṭṭeh  maṭṭâh  mat-teh', mat-taw'  rodFrom H5186; a branch (as extending); figuratively a tribe; also a rod, whether for chastising (figuratively correction), ruling (a sceptre), throwing (a lance), or walking (a staff; figuratively a support of life, for example bread): - rod, staff, tribe.

Deu 28:13  KJV  And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the LORD thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them:

(Deu 28:13)  YLT`And Jehovah hath given thee for head, and not for tail; and thou hast been only above, and art not beneath, for thou dost hearken unto the commands of Jehovah thy God, which I am commanding thee to-day, to keep and to do,

H2180 זנב  zânâb  zaw-nawb'
From H2179 (in the original sense of flapping); the tail (literally or figuratively): - tail.

H7218 ראשׁ  rô'sh  roshe
From an unused root apparently meaning to shake; the head (as most easily shaken), whether literally or figuratively (in many applications, of place, time, rank, etc.): - band, beginning, captain, chapiter, chief (-est place, man, things), company, end, X every [man], excellent, first, forefront, ([be-]) head, height, (on) high (-est part, [priest]), X lead, X poor, principal, ruler, sum,

(Isa 9:14) KJV  Therefore the LORD will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day.
Isa 9:15  The ancient and honorable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail

(Isa 9:14) YLT  And Jehovah cutteth off from Israel head and tail, Branch and reed--the same day,
(Isa 9:15)  Elder, and accepted of face, he is the head, Prophet, teacher of falsehood, he is the tail.

Now see

(Exo 4:3)  And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.

the snake is a perfect metaphor, telling the difference between head and tail can be confusing, they are sometimes posonous,

(2Co 11:13)  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

Rom 16:18  For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

1Jn 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Rodger

There has got to be some interesting connections to this reference... is this a serious response to Joe or a rhetorical one  ?    ;D ;D

beloved

EKnight

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »

Well Kathy you are one step ahead of me.  I don't see the connection.  On a stand alone basis I understand each post but I most definitely don't see the "thread" or connection.  ???

Seriously, I don't know why I bother even trying.  :(

Eileen

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »

Hi Eileen,

Please don't try to dig too deeply here, it is a relatively simple thing this pattern of good, then evil, then a restoration with the restoration oftentimes being better than the original.

Garden of Eden..... thorny earth........ Paradise

Pentecost (former rain)........ falling away (Synagogue of Satan)...... true Temple of God built with lively (living) stones, God is All in All

Rod (iron rod of Christ), serpent, Rod

Remember Job having a comfortable even prosperous life and then Satan (with God's permission) takes it all away, even Job's health? Then of course all is restored to him with an even more prosperous life.

You know this is true with our Lord as well, He had the glory with His Father, then came to this earth as a humble servant to experience evil as He reconciled man to God, now Christ sits at the right hand of His Father more glorious than before!

Also I wanted to add that in no way am I saying this is all that this bit from Exodus 4 represents, I believe the texture and depth of His Word to be infinite in its wisdom.

Peace,

Joe

Ninny

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »

Eileen,
Listen to Joe! He told you straight! :D
There is no need to knock yourself out if you don't understand something because if I have learned ANYTHING reading posts on this forum it is this: grab what you understand and dig in more deeply. Take what you don't understand and ask God to show it to you. If He gives you insight, great! If not, just take that as something He will lead you to at another time! ALWAYS remember that Jesus said, (Mat 11:29)  Lift My yoke upon you and be learning from Me, for meek am I and humble in heart, and you shall be finding rest in your souls,
(Mat 11:30)  for My yoke is kindly and My load is light." CLV
What could be easier than that?! ;D I can get that REALLY easily! (Have you guessed, I like easy!)  :D
Kathy ;)

aqrinc

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

Kathy,

That is the best advice yet, thank you for putting it out here.

Eileen, i have to endorse what Ninny wrote, it is sound counsel.

Joe, i have a headache trying to figure out the Proverbs and Parables in this.
Thanks for making us think and search; this is Good for all. Redundancy in The
Scriptures eliminates the possibility of error once one learns to read properly.
I am not there yet but have latched on to this Scripture:

Isaiah 28:10:
For precept must be on precept, precept on precept; line on line, line on line; here a little, and there a little:

Isaiah 28:13:
But the word of the LORD was to them precept on precept, precept on precept; line on line, line on line;
here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

george. :)

EKnight

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »

Joe,

I have read your last three threads and have resisted responding for some reason.  I cannot hold back any longer.  I said it to my husband and now I will say it to you.  You must be one of the kindest and gentlest souls on this planet.  I think I have said this to you once before but I will say it again, your threads have come and inspired me in times of great need.  Your responses are kind, gentle and yet informative.  You have wisdom that I trust.  I have sincerely thanked God for you on this forum.  You have been like a guardian angel for me at times.  I know you are saying to yourself that you are just a man and that you are not worthy of this praise but I was compelled to say it so I suppose God wanted you to hear it.  Not that my praise is of any value but the fruits of the spirit are clearly manifest through your posts and I could not contain myself from saying these words to you.  For whatever they are worth.

Thanks again for sharing the wisdom that God has graced you with.

Eileen

Kathy,

Thank you for your personal insight.  It is always helpful to me to hear that others struggle and how they handle it.  You too appear to be a gentle soul with a great sense of humor.  :)  I can tell that few things ruffle your feathers.  You have a knack of ignoring the negative and focusing on the positive.  You bring to me a simpler understanding when you post.

Thanks Again,
Eileen

George (love your name!)

I don't think you give yourself enough credit.  Your posts always seem to have a grasp of the scriptures.  And you clearly know many scriptures that are pertinent to most threads.  I can't even do that much.  I have been here nine months and rarely can share relevant scriptures to posts.  I hope to have your understanding someday but it's not looking like that any time soon.  But I have said that a lot here at BT.  Yet I am still here plugging along. 

Patiently plugging away,

Eileen 

Ninny

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »

Eileen,
I second your post to Joe. Joe you ARE an inspiration to all of us! We really need you here so don't ever leave us, OK? :D

I am inspired by the kindness and love of everyone on this forum. We keep each other buoyed up when things look stormy! If it takes tears or smiles to keep each other going then that's what it will be! George is sweet ;) he is a great friend! He'll inspire you to keep searching until you find the answers!

So many others on here are instant in prayer for any need, this is just a great family to be a part of!
I'm glad you are here, Eileen!
Kathy :D 

judith collier

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »

eknight, you are not aone here in understanding everything, please believe me. Some of what the others say confuse the heck out of me. Just get what you can get for now and relax. If it weren't for the patience of those here I would have been gone already. I am having so much trouble with a few things but am putting them aside for now and maybe God will give me light later. Please keep trying, you are courageous being here knowing these people are so biblically versed and spiritual and they could wipe your arguments out with a sentence. Love you, Judy

Falconn003

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

Rodger

There has got to be some interesting connections to this reference... is this a serious response to Joe or a rhetorical one  ?    ;D ;D

beloved

It is a comparison of Spiritual to Spiritual. This Parable is Our main Basis of Our FAITH.   :)

Rodger

Falconn003

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 09:59:43 PM »

Well Kathy you are one step ahead of me.  I don't see the connection.  On a stand alone basis I understand each post but I most definitely don't see the "thread" or connection.  ???

Seriously, I don't know why I bother even trying.  :(

Eileen

You bother because you hear the Voice calling you out and Your Spirit follows. :) 

Think of it like when you crawl or walk in front of infants and babies so that they would, become INTICED to follow the clear path you laid for them.

Rodger
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:09:25 PM by Falconn003 »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.