bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christs return.  (Read 5193 times)

galatians22067

Christs return.
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »

Hi,

I was hoping for an answer to this question.

Did Paul, Peter, John or James ever at any point in any of their words expect Christ to return to the earth during their life time or were they all set in agreeance it was in the distant future ?
Thanks,

Matt

daywalker

Re: Christs return.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »

Hello Matt,

Ray touched on this somewhere...

I believe during the first part of their ministry they did, then towards the latter they realized that it was future. Whether it was through divine revelation or whether they came to understand that it may be a long time until Christ returned, I don't know.

But here are a few Scriptures that show that Paul [as I'm sure most the other apostles also] at least for awhile had a strong belief that Christ would return while he was still alive:

I Corinthians 15:51-52: Lo! a secret to you am I telling! We all, indeed, shall not be put to repose, yet we all shall be changed, in an instant, in the twinkle of an eye, at the last trump. For He will be trumpeting, and the dead will be roused incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Repose means being at rest, or asleep, in the Scriptures it refers to the dead. Paul was aware that some [possibility himself] would be alive and well when Jesus Returned.

I Thessalonians 5:4: Now you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day may be overtaking you as a thief,

Obviously, if Paul knew that these brethren would all be dead before the Day of the Lord, then he wouldn't have to warn them of that day overtaking as a thief.

There are several more verses like these which show that the Apostles at least for awhile were confident that Christ would be returning soon, and they would be alive still during the Day of the Lord. Unfortunately I am at work and a little short on time...

But read Corinthians and Thessalonians as there is much in there regarding this topic.

Hope this helps a little,

Daywalker.

WhoAmI

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »

I see signs like that on side of the roadway all the time. "Are you ready? Christ is coming back!"

He's here! If they thought he was "coming back" then they didn't get it I don't think. For me it is just more dispensation teachings polluting our thinking.

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:18:30 PM »

And also From :::

The Lake of Fire - Part VIII

WHERE IS THE CHURCH THAT JESUS BUILT?

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html

On Pentecost, Jesus Christ came back to His disciples just as He said He would. He came back as the Comforter. Jesus said that they absolutely could NOT receive the Comforter until He went away. Why? Because Jesus Christ IS THE COMFORTER, but not in the flesh, but in THE SPIRIT!

It was on Pentecost that the first members of the Church of Christ received the Holy Spirit Comforter, just as He symbolized to them when He blew on them, showing that He Himself would come to them in spirit by the will of God. Now for the first time, His disciples were truly converted, baptized in Holy Spirit, possessing the mind of Christ, lead into all Truth (Jesus) by the Comforter—Jesus was NOW BUILDING HIS CHURCH!

"But the Comforter [Greek, parakletos, also called the Consoler, and in I John 2:1, Advocate in KJV, and Entreater in the CLNT] which IS the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

The Advocate or Entreater in I John 2:1 IS the parakletos, The Comforter or Consoler of John 14:26 IS the parakletos,. and we are told that it is Jesus Christ Himself. Furthermore, the "Holy Spirit" that is said to come AS the Comforter is also Jesus Christ,

"Now the Lord IS that Spirit: and where the Spirit OF THE Lord [Jesus Christ] is, there is liberty" (II Cor. 3:17

A QUICK HISTORY OF THE CHURCH BEFORE REVELATION

Jesus Christ said,

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter [a movable stone], and upon this rock [Christ, the immovable boulder] I will build MY CHURCH; and the gates of hell [Greek: hades, the unseen realm of the dead] shall NOT prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18).

What did Jesus mean that the "gates of hades would not prevail against it?" This word "prevail" was translated from the Greek word katischuo and it means, "to overpower." It is used but one other time in Scripture and here we shall see exactly what this word means:

"And they [the chief priests] were instant with loud voices, requiring that He [Jesus] might be crucified. And the voices of them of the chief priests prevailed… And when they were come to the place which is called Calvary, there they CRUCIFIED Him…" (Luke 23:23 & 33).

The chief priests "prevailed" [katischuo] by putting Jesus Christ TO DEATH. But Jesus said that the "gates of hades [realm of the DEAD] will not prevail [katischuo] against it." In other words, His Church would NEVER be overpowered to death.

And so, the Church that Jesus Christ built is still around today.

On Pentecost, Jesus Christ came back to His disciples just as He said He would. He came back as the Comforter. Jesus said that they absolutely could NOT receive the Comforter until He went away. Why? Because Jesus Christ IS THE COMFORTER, but not in the flesh, but in THE SPIRIT!

It was on Pentecost that the first members of the Church of Christ received the Holy Spirit Comforter, just as He symbolized to them when He blew on them, showing that He Himself would come to them in spirit by the will of God. Now for the first time, His disciples were truly converted, baptized in Holy Spirit, possessing the mind of Christ, lead into all Truth (Jesus) by the Comforter—Jesus was NOW BUILDING HIS CHURCH!

"But the Comforter [Greek, parakletos, also called the Consoler, and in I John 2:1, Advocate in KJV, and Entreater in the CLNT] which IS the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

The Advocate or Entreater in I John 2:1 IS the parakletos, The Comforter or Consoler of John 14:26 IS the parakletos,. and we are told that it is Jesus Christ Himself. Furthermore, the "Holy Spirit" that is said to come AS the Comforter is also Jesus Christ,

"Now the Lord IS that Spirit: and where the Spirit OF THE Lord [Jesus Christ] is, there is liberty" (II Cor. 3:17

AIN'T  LIFE  GRAND

From this quote this is proof positive that our Father and Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ are as REAL as real can be. Don't you see it? Man I do. For if God was just a figment of ones own imagination as some people would want you to believe, then as God as my witness, there would be no way on God's green earth that I would be sitting here writting this response.
  Because>>>" Now for the first time, His disciples were truly converted, baptized in Holy Spirit, possessing the mind of Christ, lead into all Truth (Jesus) by the Comforter—Jesus was NOW BUILDING HIS CHURCH!"
 The beast that is me would still be at the helm, not the Spirit, with me still thinking that I AM my own god sitting on the throne.

Father all Praise be to You,because with-out You I would be no more than a pile of dung. :o

Peace...Mark

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:20:26 PM by Marky Mark »

WhoAmI

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:14:43 PM »

I can remember when I awaited his earthly return. But I think I knew him only in the flesh at that time. Now that I am able to see better, I tend to live with Him instead of waiting for Him. Come quickly Jesus!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.