bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Willing all to be saved.  (Read 5338 times)

galatians22067

Willing all to be saved.
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

Hi ,

In the context of this verse in 2Peter3 it sounds like Peter is saying that God wills everyone to be in the 1st resurrection. I am interpreting this correctly ? The reason I ask is that I know not everyone will be in the 1st so the outcome of them not being in the 1st would go agaisnt a desire of God which would than confuse me.

Any Help would be great.

Matt

Kat

Re: Willing all to be saved.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »

Hi Matt,

The context does need to be considered here.  You can see who Peter is speaking to in the first verse.

2 Pter 3:1  This is now the second letter that I am writing to you, beloved.

He would only have called the other Believers by such an endearing name and surely he wanted all of them to be in the first resurrection.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:38:08 PM by Kat »

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »

Hi ,

In the context of this verse in 2Peter3 it sounds like Peter is saying that God wills everyone to be in the 1st resurrection. I am interpreting this correctly ? The reason I ask is that I know not everyone will be in the 1st so the outcome of them not being in the 1st would go agaisnt a desire of God which would than confuse me.

Any Help would be great.

Matt

2 Pet 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Hey Matt,

Peter speaks of no one perishing...not everyone being in the 1st resurrection. Similar to Paul's epistles to Timothy where he states that God 'will have all men saved'.

1 Tim 2:3-4  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth

1 Tim 4:9-10  This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Marques

legoman

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »

2 Pet 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

A counter-argument I have seen recently:
God is longsuffering to "us-ward".  The "us-ward" is us believers or the "beloved" as Kat pointed out in 2 Peter 3:1.  Since the us-ward is only believers, the "any" is referring to "any of us" and the "all" is referring to "all of us"  Changing the meaning to:

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any of us should perish, but that all of us should come to repentance.

Not that I buy it, but it does show how some will interpret this verse.  It is hard to reason with that kind of "logic".  I would just point out that it doesn't say "any of us" or "any believers".  "any" by itself means anyone - anyone in the whole world.

Also its a question of interpreting one verse in isolation, which we are not to do.  Truth be told, this one verse by itself is slightly ambiguous.  We need 2 or 3 (or more) scriptural witnesses.  So combine this verse with something like Luke 3:6 or 1 Tim 2:4 or 1 Tim 4:10, or a verse that says "Jesus is the savior of the world" and we start to get a better picture.  There are so many scriptural witnesses for the salvation of all, and the few scriptural witnesses for eternal torment are easily debunked by looking at the original greek.  Yet for most one verse that says "eternal hell" is enough to disprove the salvation of all.

I think Ray talks about this in one of his articles...

Legoman

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 05:26:46 PM »

Great point Kevin...what is also key in this verse is the beginning 'The Lord is not slack concerning the promise'. This is the same promise the Lord preached to Abraham that Paul points out in Galations:

Gal 3:8  And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

So just like you said, when you use other scriptures for interpretation, we see what the actual promise is: all nations being blessed. It's amazing when the scriptures are opened up to you and they all tie in together and all speak of the same declaration: Creating is God humanity into His image [Gen 1:26, CLV).

Thanks,

Marques

legoman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »

Likewise, good point Marques!

I never really considered exactly, specifically, what the "promise" was in that verse.

Cool! 

Kevin

chav

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »

Hi

I think Ray discusses that particular verse in Peter, in the following audios.

September 2, 2007 Does All mean All?
http://bible-truths.com/audio/09-02-07 Part 1.mp3
http://bible-truths.com/audio/09-02-07 Part 2.mp3

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.