bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: come and i will give you rest  (Read 6650 times)

croatankid

come and i will give you rest
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

"come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and i will give you rest" Matthew 11:28.
but does he?  please bear with me as i'm not good at this.  paul asked god to remove the thorn from his flesh but god told him that his grace was sufficient.  if lifes' troubles are to be born by us what good does it do us to pray for relief?  yet we are advised to pray about all things.  if you think you understand what i'm asking, please offer an answer or advice.  thanks! 

Beloved

Re: come and i will give you rest
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »

I am not sure I understand the question but I think that when we see the thorns and tribulations that each of us are given we are to pray, it is a means and opportunity to show that we are in agreement with the Father's will.

We may not like the thorn or tribulation but we know for certain that He is Soveregn and that there is a purpose for the thorn. It may be grace the noun or grace the verb...but it is God showing "love toward a son."..working to change you in His image. His Grace is sufficient to do this.

Those that toil and are burdened are those that try to "handle or solve the problem through self are only frustrating themselves.. Jesus is telling that if we come and be one with Him and the Father that they will have rest, knowing that God will work all toward the good.  Prayer is the mental and spiritual bridge we have for doing this

beloved

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:41:08 PM by Beloved »

Linny

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:35:55 PM »

I think of that scripture as less about His removing my current trial and more about giving me peace about it.
When we are in a trial, I thank Him that His yoke is easy and He can have mine. Then as I release it and thank Him for
my victorious conclusion to it, I have peace or rest.

Hope that helps a little.
Lin

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »

"come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and i will give you rest" Matthew 11:28.
but does he?  please bear with me as i'm not good at this.  paul asked god to remove the thorn from his flesh but god told him that his grace was sufficient.  if lifes' troubles are to be born by us what good does it do us to pray for relief?  yet we are advised to pray about all things.  if you think you understand what i'm asking, please offer an answer or advice.  thanks! 

2 Pet 1:20  ...knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation. [CLV]

Matt. 18:16  ...that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established

Hello Croatankid,

Though the words of Christ are true in Matt 11:28, they are not their own interpretation. Even when the Word of God 'seems' to make plain declarations, the supporting witnesses help in opening one's understanding.

Here is a witness to 'rest':

Heb 4:2-11

2  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3  For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4  For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5  And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6  Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7  Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10  For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11  Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief

As well as 'labour':

John 6:27  Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

1 Cor 15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The Lord tells us to cease from our carnal works as He will work or 'labour' in us to good works.

Now regarding prayer, I believe Ray's paper on 'Praying by God's Rules' (http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm) is a good starting point. As Ray states, God cannot 'answer' a prayer unless it has been prayed. This paper is not long...read through it and let us know if you still need help in understanding. Also, Rodger has pointed out another great paper regarding Paul's splinter in the flesh that will help as well.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:52:32 AM »

Mat 11:28  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

What is this "labor" that makes us "heavy laden"?

Ecc 2:11  Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done
       And on the labor in which I had toiled;
       And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind.
       There was no profit under the sun.

We can never find "rest" in what 'we' do in our carnal works, we are just "grasping for the wind."  There is only one way to have "rest" and to be "free" and that is through the Spirit of truth - Jesus Christ.

John 14:17  the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

John 8:31  Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.
v. 32  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

if lifes' troubles are to be born by us what good does it do us to pray for relief?

We rest by the spirit of God indwelling and we know God is in control of everything and we have confidence in Him even though we don't know what is going to happen.  We should always be seeking Him in prayer, to acknowledge that He is sovereign and speak with Him concerning the things that are happening in our life.  Not to change His mind, but because He is our Father and He loves us and we should know that whatever we have to endure is for the ultimate good.

Here is a bit from the 2007 conference.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=4472.0 --------

like the old saying; act like it all depends on you and pray like it all depends on God.  That’s the way you should live your life.  He could not help but pray. 

What appears to be contradictions are not contradictions, when you have a higher spiritual understanding of what it’s talking about.  Let me show you a perfect example and it sounds like a contradiction, but it’s not.

Phi 2:12  “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

Doesn’t that contradict this whole thing... we’re saved by grace and not of works?  Now we’re to work out our own salvation?  What is that?  How do you explain that “Of Myself I can do nothing” (John 5:30)?   And He said YOU can do nothing (John 15:5), to the apostles.  Then Paul says “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”  Well it does sound like a contradiction.  But read the next verse and He tells us why.  "For" now that word always means ‘because' or it’s another word for because.

Phi 2:13  “For (because) it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.”

Some of you probably still don’t get the answer, but it is there.  "Work out your own salvation," is not the gist of that saying.  He is not saying, work out your own salvation(.)  No, He’s saying “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, that’s where the emphases is, on fear and trembling, not on work out your own salvation. 

You work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, why?  Because it all depends on God!  If God doesn’t do it, it won’t happen, IT WON’T HAPPEN!  So we live in fear and trepidation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »

Hey Croatankid!

I love Paul!
2Co 12:1  It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2Co 12:2  I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
2Co 12:3  And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
2Co 12:4  How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
2Co 12:5  Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
2Co 12:6  For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
2Co 12:7  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2Co 12:8  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2Co 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2Co 12:10  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
2Co 12:11  I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

I could have placed this whole section in bold!
You should pray for relief, you should pray for all things!
but all of these: infirmities, reproaches, necessities, persecutions,and distresses are sufficient in teaching you something about yourself.
In Paul's case it was his abundant revelations. He needed something to keep him humble, enter in a messenger of satan.
Take pleasure in your trials for Christ sake! You will soon find rest in them

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Please read Ray's paper on Paul's Splinter in the flesh. A very good read!
Your surrounded by very good council!
Hope this helps you!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Mc_Can

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »

Hi Croatankid!

but does he?
Does he right now?  Or will he?

This verse reminds me of the beatitudes.  Those who mourn... comforted, meek... inherit the earth, those who hunger... filled.  Obviously all this doesnt happen right now, but its wonderful to have the assurance that it WILL.

Ecc 3:1  For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.

1eyebri

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »

This should probably be posted somewhere else on this forum but I think it is relevent to this thread. On June 16, 2007 My son Zach , 18 years old at the time, drowned in a pond. From that moment on and for several months after CK, I was asking these very same guestions and making the very same statements you are at this time. God was (to borrow from George as well) "THROWING A BRICK " at me. Letting me know He is in control. He literally turned everything I thought I knew about Him, the world, people, everything into dung. He ground me to powder.  Now I still ask these questions about my son's life and death. And about my own life in some respects. But my point is this. These questions that WE are asking have led me to truths and relizations that I had no idea even existed. So be encouraged that you are wondering about such things. I believe they can and will lead to greater understanding.       

With all humbleness,   Brian

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »

Hi Croatankid,

Did you get any of the answers you are searching for ???, remember this is a discussion forum.
It works best when we have a dialogue' even if done slowly. Hope you got your answers or at
least the trail down which you should be looking now.

george ??? ???.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 05:27:48 PM »

God bless you, Brian. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

daywalker

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

Hello there,

A lot of it is understanding and believing that God alone is in full control of everything, including your life. You are not alone in this world, because God is with you always. I recommend listening to Ray's Audio called "Keeping Sabbath". As he explains very clearly and Scripturally what it means to "rest":

http://bible-truths.com/audio/12-02-07.mp3

And Here's the Transcript for his audio if you'd rather read it [or follow along as you listen] as well as all the Scriptures that he uses:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6310.0.html

May God give you rest,

Daywalker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.