bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TO ALL PARENTS  (Read 5398 times)

mhykx

TO ALL PARENTS
« on: February 09, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »

If you're a parent and believe Ray's explanation of teachings in the Bible, how would you train up your child in the knowledge of Christ?

(A li'l background of my own dilemma - My whole family had been attending a sabbath-keeping church for over a year and then suddenly I put our attendance on hold.  For three consecutive Saturdays, we went together to a park, malls, dined and spent the whole day together, instead of attending the service.  My wife, asked me..."What is happening?"  I just told her, "I'll explain everything later."  But I worry about my kids.  My eldest is beginning to be confused.  Before he thought we're catholics (for all of us were baptized in the catholic church).  Now we're Sabbath keepers (I'm the only one baptized here).  And sooner or later, we won't be affiliated with any church if I continue on my present track.)

aqrinc

Re: TO ALL PARENTS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 12:23:41 AM »

Hi Mike,

We are parents of 2 grown young men, both were taught about God and Bible Scripture
from they were 4 or 5 years old. Today neither is seeking after GOD, but they are aware
of our Christian Walk and are well mannered towards others. When GOD Is ready for them,
HE Will call, my comfort is that GOD in HIS Time Will Do It. Until then i think and use the
below scripture every day for my granddaughters.

I tell them the Truth and teach them to listen, think about what they hear and see, then
make decisions, knowing that consequences come no matter which way one decides.

Pro 22:6 

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

george. :).

Btw, it may be hard, but you know the truth about your church. Is it ok for your child to
grow up with what they teach ???. If it is, you already have your answer, if it isn't you
already have your answer.

My Mother was Catholic, then became JW, that has been over 50 years now, she thinks i
am headed for destruction and is praying that i convert to JW.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:30:35 AM by aqr »

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:12 AM »

How old are they, Mike?

I have no real wisdom here, but this scripture came to mind...a favorite at B-T.

I Peter 3:15-16.  "...Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you to explain the hope you have.  But do this withe gentleness and respect, keepin a clear concience..."

Who asks questions better than kids?
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Matt

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »

Roger,
How true your statement is about children. This reminds me of many years ago, when my daughter was around 4 years old. She wanted to know why God wouldn't forgive Satan for what he did. She was told that God is love, and love never fails She KNEW that there was a contradiction. She KNEW that we were teaching her that God was not all powerful. I pray that the Lord appoints a time for those of us in need to "unteach" some of those "christian" teachings of a weak god.

Good question Mike!

mhykx

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »

Thanks all for your insights.
I really appreciate all your comments, short or long.

Rodger, your advice are like commandments!  Thank you.

Dave, my eldest is 8 years old.  He has a hyper-active mind.  Although he just simply accepts / follows my words almost in every doctrine (not eating "unclean mean"; not doing his assignments / participating in school activities during Sabbath, etc.) of the Sabbatarian Church we were attending, I sense that he regrets I'm doing this to him.  Now, that I found the true teaching about grace, I see his joy when I said I'm allowing him to participate in the school's foundation day this Saturday.  I just hope he won't get confused on the changes / transition of bible truths that I will teach him and his sister.

Linny

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »

Hi Mike,
I have an 11 yr old  and 8 yr old.
We just told them that we were wrong about a lot of stuff. Then we told them what we were wrong about.
Kids are so smart and so much more flexible than we are. Just be honest. You were wrong. Show them the Scripture that shows you were wrong.

Funny thing is, since mine were so young, they didn't have a lot of knowledge about hell anyway.
We stopped going to church and they didn't care. We weren't attached at all in our new church.
I homeschool so now when we do Bible study, I just point out the untruths in what we read in their age level books. I would LOVE to have a children's bible study for kids with the truth. Maybe I need to write one? The thought is daunting.

Since we are in a co-op with others still in Babylon, my kids need to know how we differ in our beliefs.
For now, I have told them not to speak up as they are not ready. But I have told my oldest who has always been very Spiritually deep, that the day will come when she will have to decide if God is telling her to speak up.
Nice thing is, when they get into middle and high school, the classes at the co-op are all up to you to choose. They won't be choosing any bible studies! 8)

My oldest found discrepancies in a handout she got at VBS this summer! It was so cool. They really wanted to go so we agreed it was okay. She came home and showed me these 2 statements that they put with one scripture reference and she didn't think it was right. Sure enough, the second statement was disproven in the very same book of the bible further in. I was so proud of her. I try to teach my kids to think for themselves and question what the world tells them.

Rodger is right, this all comes so naturally to them.

Blessings, Lin

mhykx

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

Thanks Lin,

I thought it would be kind of weird or "unchristian" for a family to not to attend to any church group especially if you have kids.  Ray said something like "People tend to be spiritual outside by observing many things."  And I feel I'm still stuggling on this.

But thanks to you guys.  Your advise / comment is really appreciated.

Mike

Falconn003

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »

Thanks all for your insights.
I really appreciate all your comments, short or long.

Rodger, your advice are like commandments!  Thank you.

Dave, my eldest is 8 years old.  He has a hyper-active mind.  Although he just simply accepts / follows my words almost in every doctrine (not eating "unclean mean"; not doing his assignments / participating in school activities during Sabbath, etc.) of the Sabbatarian Church we were attending, I sense that he regrets I'm doing this to him.  Now, that I found the true teaching about grace, I see his joy when I said I'm allowing him to participate in the school's foundation day this Saturday.  I just hope he won't get confused on the changes / transition of bible truths that I will teach him and his sister.

Thanks always be to God, for the gifts of like minds in Fellowship.

Rodger

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »

Mike, I just listened to Ray's lesson on the Sabbath.  If you haven't heard it already, it's a great primer on 'being religious'.  It might be over your kids' heads (maybe not) but I think it would make a good intro to this 'change' and why.

I certainly don't think it's wrong to have a set time for age-appropriate Bible study and fellowship with your family.  You don't have to turn that into a religion.  They go to school at a set time, I'm guessing.  But learning doesn't end when class is dismissed.

Looking back on my own childhood and youth, I wish my parents had not let me be raised by school, church, peers and television as much as they did.  But they had no real clue about Spiritual things.  You have a great oppurtunity.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.