bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we refuse God's Gift?  (Read 8263 times)

odinpop

Can we refuse God's Gift?
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »

I was studying this morning and came across an interesting verse in the NIV. Even though I am sure I have read right over the top of this verse a hundred times, when I read it this time it hit me like a ton of bricks. Mainly because, about a month ago, with the intent of sharing my belief of Universal Salvation I shared a few verses of scripture with a friend of mine, . (see the following)

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. KJV
Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. KJV
Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. KJV
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: KJV

His response was “Just because I give a gift to another does not mean that they have actually received it (consider the ‘art’ of re-gifting for instance.)”

Even though I new that his reponse was nonsense, I didn't have an imediate scriptural response. I asked myself….Is that possible? If God gives us a gift are we able to refuse it?

Well.....Now the verse!!

Rom 11:29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. New International Version

What does irrevocable mean??

Irrevocable–adjective
not to be revoked or recalled; unable to be repealed or annulled; unalterable: an irrevocable decree.

Amazing!! It looks to me like God’s Gifts are pretty permanent!!

I wanted to be sure of what I was reading so I looked in some other versions and here is what I found.

Rom 11:29 God doesn't take back the gifts he has given or forget about the people he has chosen. Contemorary English Version
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. English Majority Text Version
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. English Standard Version
Rom 11:29 God never changes his mind when he gives gifts or when he calls someone. God’s Word
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. King James Version
Rom 11:29 For God is not changeable in his free gift and in his calling. James Murdock New Testament
Rom 11:29 For God does not repent of His free gifts nor of His call; 1912 Weymouth New Testament
Rom 11:29 for unrepented of are the gifts and the calling of God; Young’s Literal Translation

To me it’s very clear!! It is a true free gift to all, and God is not taking it back!!

2Co 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

I would like to get some of you thoughts on this. Does it make sense? Am I twisting scripture to arrive at a presuposed conclusion? Can anybody add to this line of thought?

Thanks for your help!

Brad

britt

Re: Can we refuse God's Gift?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »

Brad,

It looks like your dead on to me. Thanks for sharing your revelation. ;D

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »

The salvation of All was His plan from the very beginning....so why would one ever think that He would change His plan.

He sent His son, as the Light and Way and Truth. 

The problem is not with the Gift but with all of the recipients.

beloved

aqrinc

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »

Hi Brad,

Add these to your Gem collection.

Num 23:19  (KJVA) (MKJV)
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Num 23:19 (CLV)
El is not a man that He should lie. Nor a son of humanity that He should feel regret. Does He say it and then not do it? Or speak and then not carry it out?

Num 23:19  (GNB)
God is not like people, who lie; He is not a human who changes his mind. Whatever he promises, he does; He speaks, and it is done.

george. ;D

Robin

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

Very good.

Thank you.

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »

brad, so have you shared "the rest of the story" with your friend? perhaps you should...

claudia

odinpop

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »

brad, so have you shared "the rest of the story" with your friend? perhaps you should...

claudia

Absolutely YES!! He is a dyed in the wool fire breathing hell monger, an I have spilled the whole truth on him and he is soaking wet and smoldering. ;D

Really though, I love him dearly, and like I told him, I just want him to see the true character and nature of the God of this universe. I want to ease his mind and put his heart to rest.

Thanks for all of your replies I just wanted to bounce this off of you before I sent it to him. Doesn't sound like I am to off base so I will send it is way.

Brad

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.