bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: faith  (Read 6718 times)

Roy Martin

faith
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »

Romans 10;17, so then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
  What does this mean? I know what the pastors want us to think it says,that we need to go to church to hear the word. I have faith but I dont believe that I got it by hearing the preacher.

Peace and love
Roy Martin

mharrell08

Re: faith
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »

Romans 10;17, so then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
  What does this mean? I know what the pastors want us to think it says,that we need to go to church to hear the word. I have faith but I dont believe that I got it by hearing the preacher.

Peace and love
Roy Martin

Hello Roy,

Romans 10

13  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14  How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16  But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

18  But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

19  But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

20  But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.

21  But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

One receives faith by hearing the Word of God and believing the Word of God. That's what faith means: belief. This ability to believe is a gift of God, not of ourselves

Eph 2:8-9  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

James 1:17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights...

The Word of God can be preached to you, taught to you, from your own readings/studies, etc...but one will not believe until the Father gives them belief (faith). However the Word is brought to you is how you 'hear the Word of God'. And faith comes from that if/when the Father opens up your understanding and gives you faith (belief). Belief, believe, believing, faith, have faith in...are all the same thing.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Roy Martin

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »

I know that my faith came from God as well as an understanding of how it grew in me.
I use to beg for faith when I had none. I know that it was God putting it in me to want faith, but it took several years and is still going on as God works in me in all his ways that brings me to trust him more each day.It seems that the more I want that intimate personal relationship with Him,you know, that one on one thing that Im drawn closer to Him in faith and strength.
Im just trying to connect the hearing by the word of God with seeking Him personally with all my heart.

Peace
Roy  ;D 8) ???

Ninny

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »

Roy,
Remember Jesus is the Word. We don't need to be in church to "hear" the Word!
 Marques has told you right! It is a gift from God! I'm thankful to have been given such a wonderful gift!
Kathy

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Im just trying to connect the hearing by the word of God with seeking Him personally with all my heart.

What do you mean 'trying to connect the hearing with seeking Him'?

Notice what Paul is saying in the scriptures I posted: how shall they call upon the Lord if they have not believed (have faith), THEN how should they believe (have faith)if they have not heard, THEN how should they hear without a preacher, THEN how should they preach unless they are sent...to preach the gospel.

This is not talking about some Christendom, heretical preacher...this is talking about one who is sent to preach the GOSPEL. The Christian church has no idea what the gospel is.

Now, when the gospel is preached to you (however it is brought to you; through whatever means) by one who is sent from God, if the Lord opens your understanding, THEN you will believe (have faith). And once you have faith, THEN you seek Him earnestly. How would one seek Him without faith to begin with?

Marques

Roy Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »

Wow,so all those years I thought that I had little faith or no faith, or thought I didn't even believe in Him the first time I cried out to Him and knew nothing of His word other than things I heard here and there in the world. So I did believe after all, but not on my own but by the gift I didn't know I had.
 Im in no way in disagreement with the scriptures its just that I didnt have understanding of many of them in my years in the church but yet my faith grew. It wasnt until I came to BT that I started to see the word for what it is.

Roy

Kat

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »

Hi Roy,

Here is an excerpt from 'Winning Souls For Jesus.'

http://bible-truths.com/souls.htm -----------------

I'm asked why I teach the Truths of God if "All is of God," and God does all the choosing and drawing? Because that is HOW God operates. God uses the foolishness of preaching as one of His means by which He communicates with His Elect:

"Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? Has not God made foolish [Gk: ‘stupid’] the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" (I Cor. 1:20-21).

And it is God who grants us faith as His gift (Eph. 2:08), to believe this "foolish preaching" of God’s true servants of the Gospel.

Certainly we should all follow Peter’s admonition to:

"…be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear [reverence]" (I Pet. 3:15).

But God has not called all to be teachers:

"Not all are apostles. Not all are prophets. Not all are teachers" (I Cor. 12:29, Concordant Literal N.T.).
----------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

kenny

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »

hey brother roy this helps me
Mar 11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it

a) relating to God

1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ

b) relating to Christ

1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God

c) the religious beliefs of Christians

d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

2) fidelity, faithfulness

a) the character of one who can be relied on

mharrell08

Re: Foolishness of Preaching
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »

I think I'm having my eyes and ears opened... I almost feel idiotic if I am just now understanding this correctly.

I just want to see if I'm understanding this correctly because on the surface you'd think that this was a very simple statement to understand but ...

Preaching is foolish because All is of God and God has Declared the Beginning from the End.  As was stated earlier, God does all the choosing and drawing & "preaching" will not change anything that God has already ordained, BUT it pleases God to have his Elect preach His Word & he uses the pure silliness of preaching (because it makes no difference if someone preaches or not, God's Will will be done regardless) to speak to his Elect... am I getting this right?

Bingo  :)

Marques

Kat

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »

Hi Jacobbsladdr,

Everything that we do in this world is vain, even the wisdom of the world is foolishness to Him.  So the thing is what can even the wisdom of this world accomplish for God?

1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God...

1Co 1:21  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom...

No man has the wisdom to teach another about God, our attemps to preach is but folly and foolishness to Him.

1Co 1:21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. (KJV)

1Co 1:21 ...it pleased God through the folly of what we preach... (RSV)

1Co 1:21 ...God delights, through the stupidity of the heralding... (CLV)

1Co 1:21 ... God was well-pleased—through the foolishness of the thing proclaimed (Rotherham)

But God has taken a few of the few (because not all of the chosen are called to teach, I Cor. 12:29), and He is actually "pleased" and is able to use this foolishness attempt at preaching "to save" or to begin the process of salvation in the Elect. But ONLY by the spirit of Christ indwelling, so then it is actually Christ working through foolish humans.

1Co 2:6  Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect (mature): yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to naught:
1Co 2:7  But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

2Co 1:12  For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

Just my foolish attempt to explain the way I see it  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marlene

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »

God is able to call his elect as he sees fit. He called me out of Babylon, I saw all the confusion in it. How did I see it. I saw it , because God showed me. It  was him who made me see it as confusion. God is not the author of confusion but of peace. I had no peace while in Babylon.

God used Ray Smiths preaching to bring me out of Babylon. I have never been more in peace in my life. I could , never have peace knowing people would be burning in Hell for ever and ever. Now, Ray has showed me things that I had read before , but did not understand. Why, did I understand when I read Ray's BT  Because, God led me there and opened my eyes and ears. I praise God and thank him ever day for my new life in him.

Its All God, but he certainly uses strange ways.
Here are some scriptures for thought,  1 Corinthians Chapter 3
And, I bretheren could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
verse 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat:for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
verse 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife , and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men:
vers 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another , I am of Apolos ; are ye not carnal.
verse 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man:
verse 6 I have planted, Apolos watered; but God gave the increase.
verse 7 So then neither is he that planeteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
verse 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
verse 9 for we are labourers together with God: ye are God's Husbandry, ye are God's building
verse 10 According to the grace of God which isgiven unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth theron, But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon
verse 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ
Where have we heard envying and strife and divisions. We have heard it from caranl man who is still living in Babylon teachings.
God showed me this confusion while in Babylon. He called me out and I was eager to leave. It was all God.
He lead me to Ray's website.  Here I read Gods truths that he showed Ray. What, does it boil down to. Its All God. The elect will see and hear. The rest will not. Praise God all will someday have there eyes open and there ears will hear.

In His Love,
Marlene

Roy Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »

we are in agreement,I was saying that I had faith from the Holy Spirit and not from anything else.
Peace ;)
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.