bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wedding garment  (Read 6052 times)

Kicking against the Goads

Wedding garment
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

I am quite new here, so please forgive these elementary questions!  Yesterday I was listening to Adventures in Odyssey in our van with my kids and they acted out the parable of the wedding feast as an answer to, "If God is love how can he send anyone to hell?" My ears perked right up!!  Their point was that the man "chose" to NOT wear the garment offered to him and was therefore cast into the darkness.  I grabbed my Bible and saw NOWHERE that he refused to wear the garment.  That was no surprise!!  But anyway, what does the garment represent?  Does it even matter what it represents?  I thought I understood the many and the few but why is only one here rejected?  The king's servants invited many but only one was rejected. It seems the chosen were many in this parable.  Do I at least have this part right...those bidden to come represent the Jews, the good and the bad from the streets represent the Gentiles?  I feel ridiculous because it seems this should be a simple parable to understand!!

Thanks,
Kicking

P.S.  I think I'll keep the Bible stories from Adv. in Odyssey out of the kid's reach from now on!!!

Here is the passage...from Matt. 22:1-14

And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.

7But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.

8Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.

9Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.

10So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

11And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:

12And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

13Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14For many are called, but few are chosen.

Marky Mark

Re: Wedding garment
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »

Hello Kicking,

Here is a post by Kat that is outstanding on its own.

Many called few chosen...

Re: The Marriage Feast
Quote from: Kat on June 24, 2007, 02:53:30 PM

In the early morning while laying awake in bed, I find in the quiet and dim morning light a good time for meditation.  The parable of the marriage supper came to mine and I thought these scripture seemed to fit together.  So I have searched out these scripture, that I felt help explain this parable.
In maroon are Matt. and Luke's account of this parable.

Luke 14:16  But He said to him, "A Man once gave a great banquet and invited many.
v. 17  And at the time for the banquet He sent His servant to say to those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.'

Deu 7:6  "For you are a holy people to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth.

Mat 22:1  And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying,
v. 2  "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a
King who gave a wedding feast for His Son,
v. 3  and sent His servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come.

Dan. 9:9  To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him.
v. 10  We have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets.
v. 11  Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice;

Mat 22:4  Again He sent other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, See, I have prepared My dinner, My oxen and My fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.'

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Mat 22:5  But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business,

Luke 14:18  But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to Him, 'I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.'
v. 19  And another said, 'I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.'
v. 20  And another said, 'I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.'

Mark 4:19  and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

Mat 22:6  while the rest seized His servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them.

Mat 24:9  "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.

Mat 22:7 And, the King, was provoked to anger,—and, sending His armies, destroyed those murderers, and, their city, set on fire. (Rotherham)

Rev 19:11  Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The One sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
v. 14  And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following Him on white horses.
v. 15  From His mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.

Mat 22:8  Then He said to his servants, 'The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy.
v. 9  Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.'
v. 10  And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

Luke 14:21  So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the Master of the house became angry and said to His servant, 'Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.

1Cor 1:27  But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
v. 28  and God has chosen the base things of the world, and things which are despised, and things which are not, in order to bring to nothing things that are;

Luke 14:22  And the servant said, 'Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.'
v. 23  And the Master said to the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that My house may be filled.
v. 24  For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste My banquet.'"

Mat 22:11  "But when the King came in to look at the guests, He saw there a man who had no wedding garment.
v.12  And He said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless.
v. 13  Then the King said to the attendants, 'Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
v. 14  For many are called, but few are chosen.

Rev 16:15  "Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame."

Rev 20:12  And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.
Rev 20:15  And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Luke 14:12  He said also to the man who had invited him, "When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid.
v. 13  But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,
v. 14  and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

This is just my understanding, I would appreciate input.  If anyone finds other scripture that would fit, please post whatever you find.

mercy, peace, and love
Kat

Peace...Mark

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

I am quite new here, so please forgive these elementary questions!  Yesterday I was listening to Adventures in Odyssey in our van with my kids and they acted out the parable of the wedding feast as an answer to, "If God is love how can he send anyone to hell?" My ears perked right up!!  Their point was that the man "chose" to NOT wear the garment offered to him and was therefore cast into the darkness.  I grabbed my Bible and saw NOWHERE that he refused to wear the garment.  That was no surprise!!  But anyway, what does the garment represent?  Does it even matter what it represents?  I thought I understood the many and the few but why is only one here rejected?  The king's servants invited many but only one was rejected. It seems the chosen were many in this parable.  Do I at least have this part right...those bidden to come represent the Jews, the good and the bad from the streets represent the Gentiles?  I feel ridiculous because it seems this should be a simple parable to understand!!

Kicking,

The unclean garments represent unrighteousness. Clean garments (or white raiment) signifies righteousness.

Ps 14:3  They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Ps 53:3  Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Isa 64:6  But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Rev 22:11  He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Ps 51:7  Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Isa 1:18  Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Dan 12:10  Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

Matt 17:2  And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his
[Christ] raiment was white as the light.

Rev 3:4-5  Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

The Lord's servants were told to 'find as many as they could find' not many in number. The one who was cast out represents those who have 'defiled their garments' [Rev 3:4], signifying unrighteousness and are not worthy to attend the wedding (be in the Kingdom of Heavens/Eonian life in the 1st resurrection].

Those bidden to come were 'the many' and those who were chosen to come were 'the few'. The 'many' is all who are called out of the world to have a knowledge of God...but they then choose to follow their man-made doctrines/traditions instead of God (like physical Israel & those of Christendom). The few are those who God chooses OUT of the many to be in the kingdom and have a knowledge of the Will of God, His sovereignty, plan for mankind, etc. These few are then 'spiritual Israel' [Gal 6:16, 1 Pet 2:9]

Hope this helps,

Marques

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »

To add to Marques

When called out of babylon, we are to go ont to maturity and endure

We must let go of the carnal

(Jud 1:23)  And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

(Jud 1:24)  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

2Pe 2:13  And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

Jas 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Eph 5:27  That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish

Even though your eyes and ears are opened we still have to follow

(2Co 5:2)  For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

(2Co 5:3)  If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

(2Co 5:4)  For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

It is the clothing of righeousness that is needed.

beloved

Marlene

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »

Hi, Ray's article on How Hard is getting saved is a good one that helps you understand that just knowing truths is not enough. You have to be converted . You have to mature and not stay in one place. It is a process it is not easy. But, the Comforter can guide you and bring you to the finish line. He will clothe you in righteousness. It won't be greasy grace. I know, just the fact I hate my sin and want to walk and obey is only because he had brought me this far and I know he is able to bring me to  finish line. I can tell he is working in me. He is changing my heart about many things. I have had some victory over that beast and more to come. Just wanting to say all Praise and Glory Goes To God.

Just wanted to let you know I am glad to have you for Brothers and Sisters.

In His Love,
Marlene

Kicking against the Goads

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »

Thanks for the great answers!  "Find as many as they could find" is the key verse for me there...and how easily I assumed it meant many.  I have to remember to read everything with my new eyes, not the eyes I used in Babylon.  Even though I know I have so much growing and relearning to do and that it will be alot of work...I can't wait! 

Does anyone have any advice for where is a good place to begin for daily readings?  I am doing my own study on salvation which has been great, but I have been so haphazard in my daily scripture reading.  I just can't settle in anywhere.

mharrell08

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »

Thanks for the great answers!  "Find as many as they could find" is the key verse for me there...and how easily I assumed it meant many.  I have to remember to read everything with my new eyes, not the eyes I used in Babylon.  Even though I know I have so much growing and relearning to do and that it will be alot of work...I can't wait! 

Does anyone have any advice for where is a good place to begin for daily readings?  I am doing my own study on salvation which has been great, but I have been so haphazard in my daily scripture reading.  I just can't settle in anywhere.

Lake of Fire series (www.bible-truths.com). The Holy Scriptures speak of one truth: God creating mankind into His image. Everything else falls under that umbrella...it's the 'One Giant Parable' that Ray and other members here mention frequently. Once you gain a firm grasp of that and ALL that it entails, the scriptures will all seem to say the same thing no matter what Testament or Chapter you are in. That's the great thing about the LOF series...it specifically goes over this spiritual principle.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »

Quote from: Kicking against the Goads link

Being in a spot not to long ago where I was reading/studying Ray's writings, but was not reading/studying Scripture, I started reading again in the Book of Job and then went back to Genesis, the beginning.
I agree with Marques, once you understand the Old Testament "And creating is God humanity IN HIS IMAGE"  (Gen. 1:27) and New Testament  "For whom He [the Father] did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be CONFORMED TO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29), (many called, few chosen) it really does not matter where you start. It's ALL ONE.

Marky Mark

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »

Quote from: Kicking against the Goads link

Being in a spot not to long ago where I was reading/studying Ray's writings, but was not reading/studying Scripture, I started reading again in the Book of Job and then went back to Genesis, the beginning.
I agree with Marques, once you understand the Old Testament "And creating is God humanity IN HIS IMAGE"  (Gen. 1:27) and New Testament  "For whom He [the Father] did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be CONFORMED TO THE IMAGE OF HIS SON, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29), (many called, few chosen) it really does not matter where you start. It's ALL ONE.

"And creating is God humanity IN HIS IMAGE"  (Gen. 1:27)

Patrick,here is an email that Ray answered,I thought it would be appropriate.

I will give you some of the reason "why we are here."

A great and wise creator GOD PUT US HERE. He started the human family.

God is not stupid, He had a grand and eternal purpose in mind for making mankind.

God has many attributes, powers, knowledge, etc., that obviously mankind DOES NOT. But, God DOES WANT us to have those same attributes, especially LOVE!

Qualities of character such as Love are not instantaneously created, they must be developed. That development takes a creation, circumstances, and time. And so, God creates all these things necessary for their development.

Although God is GOOD, He nonetheless has a knowledge and understanding of both good AND EVIL. And so we TOO much come to an understanding of both good and evil. Why? Because ALL KNOWLEDGE hinges on their proper understanding.

People say things without ever realizing how stupid or impossible their thoughts or statements are. Most Christians suppose that if Adam and Eve had not sinned, then we all would STILL, right now, be enjoying the beautiful life of happiness and bliss in a fabulous garden of Eden. NOT SO!!! Adam and Eve did  NOT appreciate what they had with God in the garden before they sinned. They had NO CONTRAST to compare it with.

Now here is a key piece of understanding and wisdom. God wants CHILDREN. God is building a FAMILY. Children are to grow up and have the attributes of their parents. But these things must be LEARNED BY EXPERIENCE!  Not only didn't Adam and Eve appreciate what they had, they ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT have appreciated what they had, because they experienced ONLY GOOD.

Try to come up with even ONE VIRTUE, such as love, patience, honesty, goodness, faithfulness, loyalty, obedience, bravery, etc., etc., etc., ANYTHING of a virtuous nature, that does not involve the overcoming of SOME FORM OF EVIL! There is you answer! There IS NO VIRTUE, NO CHARACTER, NO STABILITY of any kind in any one, except he overcomes some form of EVIL.

Now can you see why we are here? Now can you see why there is not only good, but so much evil in the world? It is necessary! God did not put it here simply to make us miserable! God is NOT in a battle for supremacy with Satan. God CREATED Satan. God USES Satan. And Satan too, will be saved after he has done all of his dirty work. God will make him repent.

God is enlarging His family into BILLIONS of sons and daughters.  This life is part of the training ground to be the very SONS OF GOD.

All evil including DEATH itself will be abolished when God has used them to bring His family to a level of love and righteousness that He desires. We will then inherit all that God has and all that God is. God is truly OUR FATHER.

I hope that helps your understanding a little better. Life will not always be miserable and painful as it may seem to you now. This too shall pass.

Sincerely,

Ray

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.