bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genesis/Nashville Conf.  (Read 5908 times)

EKnight

Genesis/Nashville Conf.
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »

I know that Ray spoke in depth at the 2008 Conference about creation in Genesis.  I know that he took us backwards in Genesis one to verse 3 and said that each new "day" began with "And God said" leaving out verses one and two :1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Thereby showing that the heavens and the earth were BEFORE God began creating everything else.  But does Ray point out also the fact that there could not have even been a first day before verse three because God didn't define day (and He called the light Day) UNTIL verse 3?

Just curious.

Eileen

musicman

Re: Genesis/Nashville Conf.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »

Good observation.  Don't think Ray mentioned that. 

But let's go easy on god.  Sometimes we forget to mention things one day and only 48 hours later remember, oh, I forgot to mention something.  So goes with god not mentioning what a day is until the third one came about.  It all happened so fast.

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »

But let's go easy on god.  Sometimes we forget to mention things one day and only 48 hours later remember, oh, I forgot to mention something.  So goes with god not mentioning what a day is until the third one came about.  It all happened so fast.

You're funny.  ;D ;D

Eileen

kenny

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:01:40 PM »

look at ver.5 the evening and morning is the first day. if the first day is in ver 5 then the first 4 ver. are in the beggining, thats what i read

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:40:18 AM by kenny »

cherokee

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »

Eileen,

Ray talked about this in audio # 7, The Six Days of Creation.

Here is a quote from the transcript that should help and a link to the transcript by Kat.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8385.0.html

Here is the end of the six yoms or the six creation times. The very last verse of the first chapter of the Bible, and how does it end? It ends with…

Gen 1:31 …And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

What began the sixth day? Verse 24 “And God said…” So between what God said and the evening and the morning, that was the sixth day. There is nothing that happened in the sixth day before verse 24 and nothing that happened after verse 31, it’s got to be between there. The sixth day ended with the evening and the morning, that ends it, that is the sixth day. When did it begin? When “God said” in verse 24. Now we’re getting it.

Gen 1:23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

That’s the end of the fifth day or the fifth yom or the fifth period of time. When did that fifth day of making begin? Verse 20, “And God said...” Simple? There is a pattern here, we are talking Scripture.

Gen 1:19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

This was the end of the forth day. When did it begin? Verse 14, “And God said…”

Gen 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

When did it begin? Verse 9, “And God said…”

Gen 1:8 …And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Which began when? Verse 6, “And God said…”

Gen 1:5 …And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The ending of the first time. When did it begin? Verse 3, “And God said…” Where is verse 1 and 2? Before the six days. [Someone says, ‘It was there all the time.’] Bingo, it was there all the time.

Suzie

EKnight

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:33:15 PM »

Right Suzie, I understand that but I am just saying that right off the bat we could say that the very first two verses cannot be considered part of the first day because it wasn't until verse three that God even created the light that defines day.  I am just pointing another way of looking at it.  Of course it is implied in the route that Ray took us and I was just wondering if he ever "stated" that.

I thought it was a simplified version but maybe not.  ???

Eileen

cherokee

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »

Eileen,

Here's what Ray said about verses 1 & 2.

The six days only consist of what “God said” should take place during those periods of time.  But in the beginning God had already created the heavens and the earth.  The creation was finished from the foundation of the world.   In verse 2 the earth was uninhabitable for humanity, tohu and bohu.

Gen 1:2  And the earth was without form (tohu), and void (bohu);

It had to be fashioned and He begins that fashioning with “And God said.”  Verses 1 and 2 have nothing to do with the 6 creating times.  Totally outside if that period.  Can you see it?  Okay.

Does this help?

Suzie

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »

Eileen, I understand.  What you're saying is making an argument 'against' those looking for literal 24-hour days in the account.  Couldn't be a 'day' for them if (according to their thinking) God had not yet created the sun.  It's tough making orthodox theologians (both professional and amateur) make sense.   :D

I'll tell you from my chair, by the time Ray got to this stuff I wasn't so much struggling to keep up as I was hanging on for dear life.   ;D  I'm not sure if he said anything exactly like that, but it's certainly one of those cases (for me) when knowing the truth of the scripture eliminates ALL other possibilities and contradictions.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

EKnight

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »

Yeah, Dave, when you see it it's almost too obvious, like how could anyone have missed it. I'm suddenly seeing a lot of things in the first three books of Genesis that I have never seen before.  Ray is correct, it is jam packed.

Eileen

kenny

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:07 AM »

the Hebrew word for day (yom), does not strictly translate into the literal twenty-four hour sense of day. Within the context of the first two chapters of Genesis we find the word day used in three different ways.

(1) A solar day (1:14)

(2) Daylight as opposed to night (1:5,14,16)

(3) The entire creative period (2:4)

Hence, the context does not demand that we take the word day in a strict literal sense of twenty-four hours
i have been listening to dave on this subject today and it is so cool, i have never seen this before.

aqrinc

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 02:18:11 AM »

Kenny,

What you talking about Willis.

Dave who ;D

Dave who
the Hebrew word for day (yom), does not strictly translate into the literal twenty-four hour sense of day. Within the context of the first two chapters of Genesis we find the word day used in three different ways.

(1) A solar day (1:14)

(2) Daylight as opposed to night (1:5,14,16)

(3) The entire creative period (2:4)

Hence, the context does not demand that we take the word day in a strict literal sense of twenty-four hours
i have been listening to dave on this subject today and it is so cool, i have never seen this before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.