bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: History and the Apocrypha  (Read 4662 times)

daywalker

History and the Apocrypha
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for anyone that might be somewhat familiar with the Apocrypha. Though, it is decidedly not Scripture, I was curious as to how reliable it is in relations to Human History. I've read a few passages from a couple books in the past, but haven't yet taken the time to study any of them.

There are several historical events that are mentioned in the Apocrypha, and I was wondering if anyone has any information on how accurate and/or reliable these passages are, in relations to Human History.

Just a curiosity, as I am starting to read a little bit more about the ancient times; specifically about the times prior to, during, and soon after Jesus' life [on Earth  :D]; what people believed, what the philosophers taught, how Egyptian myths were borrowed, adjusted, indoctrinated, etc.

Thanks, and God Bless everyone.

- Daywalker.

aqrinc

Re: History and the Apocrypha
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »

Hi Daywalker,

The Scriptures below are quoted to remind you of how you will get the only accurate information available.

John 14:25-26 (CLV)
25 These things have I spoken to you, remaining with you."
26 Now the consoler, the holy spirit, which the Father will be sending in My name, that will be teaching you all, and reminding you of all that I said to you."

I have read several bits of the apocryphal collection, what specific events are you asking about.
Is this a research project or just curiosity. You can get the (KJVA) in esword, which will have
all those books in it. As an avid historian i usually look for every little scrap of information on any
subject of study. Then use The Scriptures as the strainer that it must past through in order to be
useful for serious consideration.

Be aware that if you are taking on that beast; you had better be prepared with The Whole Armor
Of God; just to stay on track. Most of the information you get is tainted with someones belief or
agenda. Hope you have a good time and several thousand hours to devote, if you want to really
learn anything useful.

george. ;D

daywalker

Re: History and the Apocrypha
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:13 PM »

Hi Daywalker,

The Scriptures below are quoted to remind you of how you will get the only accurate information available.

John 14:25-26 (CLV)
25 These things have I spoken to you, remaining with you."
26 Now the consoler, the holy spirit, which the Father will be sending in My name, that will be teaching you all, and reminding you of all that I said to you."

I have read several bits of the apocryphal collection, what specific events are you asking about.
Is this a research project or just curiosity. You can get the (KJVA) in esword, which will have
all those books in it. As an avid historian i usually look for every little scrap of information on any
subject of study. Then use The Scriptures as the strainer that it must past through in order to be
useful for serious consideration.

Be aware that if you are taking on that beast; you had better be prepared with The Whole Armor
Of God; just to stay on track. Most of the information you get is tainted with someones belief or
agenda. Hope you have a good time and several thousand hours to devote, if you want to really
learn anything useful.

george. ;D

Hey George,

Thanks for your comments and advice. I am starting to get more into reading. I just finished reading the "Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment", by Thomas Thayer. I downloaded it to e-Sword [along with several other books], which I have found to be AMAZING, because while reading the book, whenever there are Bible verses mentioned,  I can verify it without having to leave the page.  :D

But also, while reading the book, he mentions several ancient philosophers, and early Church Fathers, and historians, some of whom I hadn't heard of, so I was using the Internet and Wiki, to learn who these people were. In some of the Online sections I read, several passages from the Apocrypha were mentioned, in relations to the people I was reading about. This is what sparked my curiosity as far as how reliable the Apocryphal Books are Historically.  ??? I definitely do not base ANY Spiritual knowledge on these books, as even though I've only read a few passages, I've read enough to see CLEARLY that it contradicts God's Word.

Basically, I was reading something about one of the Wars of Israel [I don't remember which one at this moment, but it was one which happened sometime during the 400 years of prophetic silence leading up to the birth of Jesus], via Wiki, and it quotes the first book of Maccabees, speaking of the same event. Basically, my question was how reliable is this passage in relations to the event Historically, as well as other events that are written of in these books?

- Daywalker.

PS: Yea, I do have the KJV-1611, as well as Bishops, Geneva, and several other Bibles in e-Sword, which do contain the Apocrypha. Truly, this program is a huge gift to us from Above.  ;) ... and I just started reading "The Restitution of All Things" by Andrew Jukes, as I know Ray has recommended this book.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 20 queries.