bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: parable of talents and the ten virgins explaination  (Read 5527 times)

olasupo jacobs

parable of talents and the ten virgins explaination
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »

hello brethren, please i wld like to get a scriptural explanation for the parable of talents and the ten virgins.  thanks olasupo jacobs new forum member from Nigeria

mharrell08

Re: parable of talents and the ten virgins explaination
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:58:41 PM »

hello brethren, please i wld like to get a scriptural explanation for the parable of talents and the ten virgins.  thanks olasupo jacobs new forum member from Nigeria

Excerpt from 'Foundational Truths' bible study (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6452.0.html):

Now I want to zero in on a principle here that will help us understand a whole lot more than we think we do.  But when you get all bogged down with this… so much knowledge and so many pages to learn, you’ve got to come back to this principle.  You can grow from there, but come back to this foundation.  Because that’s where you are building, you are building on the foundation.  So how many parables must we know in order to know all parables?  Christ said in Mark 4.

Mark 4:13  And He said unto them, Know ye not THIS parable?  (or do you understand the meaning of this parable, obviously they did not, because they ask Him what does it mean) and how then will ye know all parables?

There is a real key teaching.  If you don’t understand this parable, He says how can you understand the rest of them?  But on the other hand, if you do understand this parable you can understand the rest of them.  You only need to understand one really well and you know them all.  How many of these pages are taken up with parables or maybe not all of these parables, but there is the kingdom too.

He said the kingdom of God is like this… it’s like a man who went out and purchased a field, because there was hidden treasure there and then he dug and he found that treasure.
And then the kingdom of God is like a merchant who sold everything he had for that one pearl of great price, like the hope diamond, that one big one you know. 
He doesn’t explain that stuff.  Does He explain what all of that means every time He says it?  No He doesn’t.  People think this is all different things.  All these aspects, IT’S ALL THE SAME THING!  This is a marvelous revelation when I saw this and nobody told me. 

The parables are all talking about the same thing.  If you understand that, you should understand that the two in the field and the two women grinding at the mill can not be one and the same person.  I mean we are getting into a kind of trinity here. 

So what are the parables all about?  Well let’s read the one where He said if you know this one, then you know them all.  These are like all encompassing, because they deal with the same thing.  Okay up above this in Mark He gives the parable, so lets read it.

Mark 4:2  And He taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in His doctrine,

He said this is His doctrine - the religious beliefs or what we call in the church, doctrines.  These are the main important things and you can find those in the parables.

Mark 4:3  Listen!  Behold, there went out a sower to sow:
v. 4  And it came to pass, as he sowed, some (seeds) fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.
v. 5  And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:
v. 6  But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.
v. 7  And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.
v. 8  And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some a hundred.

So here is the parable.  What in the world does it mean?  Now I’ve taught that all parables are not all literally true.  If they were they would be stories or historical accounts, not parables.  A parable in the old English means a near story.  A story about something, but it’s not the truth, it’s like a story of something that happened, but it is only near to it. 

So there is something here, but Jesus Christ is not saying that there was a sower out on a farm who took wheat seeds or whatever and went out and sowed it in the ground.  The parable is not about that.  He’s not talking about a farmer, He’s not talking about seed, He’s not talking about birds, He’s not talking about stones, He’s not talking about any of those things.  Then why does He make a parable out of it?  Because there is a connection.  It’s got to be some kind of connection between the symbol and what it symbolizes or why would you use it in the first place.  There has got to be a connection. 

Well now they didn’t understand.  Now He is going to explain it, He said because…

Mark 4:11  …Unto YOU it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Well wait a minute we have just learned something all over there again.  What are the parables about?  The called and the chosen, the many and the few.  Now what did He say there?  He just told us that, did you get it or did you just read over it and you missed it?  Read it again.  How many times have you read that and you missed it.  YOU are the few chosen, YOU will understand these things.  "Without" I teach in parables, the many hear Me, but THEY don’t get it. 

Mark 4:12  That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand;

So there is your two groups.  This is not talking about the same person being split down the middle or something.  This is talking about the called and the chosen.

Now He goes on and He says.

Mark 4:13  And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
v. 14  The sower sows the word.

Back up in verse 4 He said the sower sows the seed.  Now the seed is no longer the seed.  Guess what it is?  It’s the Word.  The sower sows the Word.

Mark 4:15  And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately…

Well that’s not what He said up there, He said the fowl of the air come and devour it.  Fowl are always likened to evil spirits or Satan.  You read about the birds and the fowls in the book of Revelation.  Those are always evil spirits and Satan.  The birds represent Satan.

Mark 4:15 …and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Not in the ground… we went from seed in the ground to the Word in your heart.

Mark 4:16  And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;
v. 17  And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution arises for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

So you see, this is what this parable is all about.

Mark 4:18  And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,
v. 19  And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in (and what happened?), choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

So it chokes the Word and you can’t produce any fruit, it chokes you, these other things.

v. 20  And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirty fold, some sixty, and some a hundred.

You have the many called, they hear the call and some of them accept it and they follow it for a while.  They do all these things, but they don’t produce the fruits.  They never get rid of the carnal mind and they never produce the fruits that are mentioned in Galatians 6, love, peace, joy, goodness, faithfulness and all these things.  Now that explains what all the parables are about.

Haven’t you read the one about the dragnet?  You bring in the net, right and those that are without, are those thrown out.  The good fish and see we have the good ground.  The word going to the good ground and what is the good ground?  The good people, you have the good fish, those that you take in the basket and keep. 

Now I’m not going to go through all the parables today, I have another point in mind.  But the principle fits here and that’s why I want to start off with the parables.  There are about 40 parables in the New Testament.  It starts off with the lamp under the bushel/basket, then you have the wise man, the two men in the bed. 
It doesn’t mean there are just these two, it’s just two categories

One builds his house upon the rock and the other one builds his house on the sand.  This is not the same man, presented by the two men.  Now it’s true that we can go from one to the other, but most of the parables present them at the same time.  You can’t do it at the same time, there is a transition where you repent and you are converted and you become the new person and you leave the other one behind.  The other one does not follow with equal stature from then on.  If it does you are not producing fruit and you are not going anywhere.

So there are two different groups throughout the parables.  You have the new wine and the old wine skins.  The sower that we just went through with the sower.  You have the tares and the wheat.  The tares and the wheat are growing together, but they are not the same.  Because those that are the tares will be thrown into fire.  You can not be gathered into the barn and thrown into the fire at the same time.  People will not be in the kingdom of God and in the fire at the same time.  There comes a part where you separate these two and that happens at resurrection.  Those that enter the kingdom and those that are without and are going to be judged. 

Sometimes a parable will emphasize the Elect, sometimes it puts emphasis on the many.  But the opposite is always in view.   They talk about the bad, but that doesn’t negate the fact that this is the opposite of those that are good

We went through the dragnet.  There is the lost sheep. 
You have 100 sheep and the 99 are the many.  But the lose one, that’s the one God goes over to.  Why?  Because Christ said that He came to save that which is lost. 
The two sons, the wicked wine dresser, the wedding feast.  You have those that have their garment cleaned for a proper wedding garment and then you have them out in the way, the people who come with dirty clothes, signifying unrighteousness.  They can’t come in.  The many and the few.

They are through every parable.  The wise and the foolish virgins, we’ve talk about that.  The growing seed, the absent house holder, the creditor and the two debtors, the good Samaritan.  You have those that will come to the rescue, to help somebody.  I mean you had the many that went by and the one, the good Samaritan, he’s the one that stopped, he’s the Elect. 

Even the rich fool which emphasizes the negative side.  When Christ explains what took place He brings in the Elect side, which he had turned away from.
The faithful and the wise servant, the great supper, the lost coin, the lost son, the lost sheep, the rich man and Lazarus.  The rich man represents a group and Lazarus represents another group. 
But anyway you can go through all of the parables and you will see that is true.

Hope this helps,

Marques

olasupo jacobs

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:27:33 AM »

thank u brother for that explanation, really its the principle behind the parables not the literalness that counts. how joyful i was the day i came across BT site, after reading "what about those who have never heard", "God's responsibility to save Africans" and "the rich man and Lazarus" i have never been the same. still more to learn thanks-olasupo jacobs ;)

Terry

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »

You nailed it Marques that was great, every time i read about Parables now i look for the Spirit in them not only parables but all of Gods word and i must say now i get so excited that i can hardly contain my self at times.

When God called me 25 yrs. ago i learned what every one else was learning and i must say i thought i new quite a bit, but since God lead me to BT i have had to try and forget all that i learned and i feel now that i truely have a relationship with Christ and loving every minute of it. To be honest since God opened my eyes here at BT. i just now feel like my christian walk with Christ has begun, i am so blessed that God would won't me to know these truths when my family and everyone i know doesn't have a clue, if i ever figure out why he chose me and not one of my family members or friends, i mean my brother has been a preacher for more yrs. than i can remember and my Mom who would crawl to get to church if they were having a meeting and they both have lived far more of a moral life than me i mean i have always been like the black sheep of the family and yet he chose me, but it seems now that i am over coming a few things that i couldn't overcome in those earlier years however i still have a long way to go and i know God will see me through.
God Bless,
Terry
Terry

Kat

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »

Hi olasupo jacobs,

I glad you have joined the forum  :)
I did find where Ray addressed this particular parable.

http://bible-truths.com/rapture.htm -------------------

Does Paul indeed tell us that if we drowse at Christ’s coming it "is no factor," while Matthew tells us that those who drowse with be "locked out of the kingdom"?

When Paul says in I Thes. 5:10,

"... whether we may be watching or drowsing, we should be living at the same time together with Him"

He is not speaking of literally watching or literally taking a spiritual nap as the expositor words it, but rather if we are "living or reposing [sleeping]." The Scriptures speak of death as "sleep" dozens of times.

Paul is merely mirroring the words of his Lord. The woman in Matt. 9:18 had died (ver. 18) yet Jesus said she was "drowsing" (ver. 24). Paul said:

"We are not of the night nor of the darkness. Consequently, then, we may NOT be drowsing ... for those who are drowsing are drowsing at NIGHT ..." (I Thes. 5:6-7).

Those who do drowse, Paul says drowse at night. Since we are not of the night or darkness, we should not drowse. Those who are not watchful concerning the things of the Lord are like drunks who drink and sleep off their drunkenness at night. That’s the spiritual application. However, even though we do not follow after those who get drunk and drowse in the night, many of us will "drowse" in the earth (be dead) when our Lord comes, but not to worry--whether we are alive and being about our Lord’s business, or reposing (drowsing/sleeping) in our graves, we will still be together with Him when He comes.

"Watching or drowsing" is in answer to those either "living or reposing [sleeping, dead]" in chapter 4 verse 15. Either way, whether alive or dead, they will be snatched away to meet the Lord. To try and use these clear verses to prove that Israel must spiritually stay awake or they will be locked out of the Kingdom of God, but with us it is perfectly okay to be spiritually asleep and still be in God’s kingdom is totally out of context.

Besides, Paul just stated in Chapter 5, verse 6, that,

"Consequently, then WE MAY NOT BE DROWSING, even as the rest, but we may BE WATCHING and be sober."

Again in Acts 20:31, Paul admonishes his disciples to "watch." In I Cor. 16:13, Paul commands "Watch"! Colossians 4:2, "In prayer be persevering, watching ..."

Now were does it say those in Matt. 25 "locked out of the kingdom and prevented from entering in" are locked out as the result of their "drowsing"? Our Lord said no such thing. Let’s read this parable together:

"Then likened shall be the kingdom of the heavens to ten virgins, who, getting their torches, came out to meet the bridegroom. Now five of them were stupid and five prudent. For the stupid getting their torches got no oil with them, yet the prudent got oil in the crocks with their torches. Now, at the delaying of the bridegroom, THEY ALL NOD AND DROWSED. Now in the middle of the night a clamor occurs: ‘Lo! The bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ Then roused were ALL those virgins, and they adorn their torches. Now the stupid said to the prudent, ‘Give us of your oil, for our torches are going out. Yet the prudent answered, saying, ‘No, lest at some time there should not be sufficient for us and you. Go rather to those who are selling and buy for yourselves. Now, at their coming away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who are ready entered with him into the wedding festivities, and the door is locked. Now subsequently the rest of the virgins also coming, saying ‘Lord! Lord! Open to us!’ Yet he, answering, said, "verily, I am saying to you, I am not acquainted with you!"

Say, did you notice that: "they ALL nod and drowsed"?

This parable has nothing to do with literal "virgins, oil, or torches." Nonetheless, the point is that "all of the virgins drowsed," but contrary to our expositor’s argument, NONE of them were locked out of the wedding festivities because of drowsing. The five that were locked out, were locked out because they were "STUPID" and didn’t buy any oil!

Christ does, however, admonish to "Watch ..." (Ver. 13). But we have already seen the proof right in this Scripture, that not watching, but "drowsing," is not grounds, in and by itself, for our Lord to lock someone out of the kingdom, even if they are Jewish saints! The five prudent virgins did drowse, but were not locked out.
---------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

aqrinc

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

Hi olasupo jacobs and Terry,

We were all lost sheep, as the Scriptures Say. We are all accounted as criminals by GOD; so that we can all recieve mercy from HIM.

Rom 11:32  (GNB)
For God has made all people prisoners of disobedience, so that he might show mercy to them all.

Isa 53: 1-12 (GNB)
1  The people reply, "Who would have believed what we now report? Who could have seen the LORD's hand in this?
2  It was the will of the LORD that his servant grow like a plant taking root in dry ground. He had no dignity or beauty to make us take notice of him. There was nothing attractive about him, nothing that would draw us to him.
3  We despised him and rejected him; he endured suffering and pain. No one would even look at him--- we ignored him as if he were nothing.
4  "But he endured the suffering that should have been ours, the pain that we should have borne. All the while we thought that his suffering was punishment sent by God.
5  But because of our sins he was wounded, beaten because of the evil we did. We are healed by the punishment he suffered, made whole by the blows he received.
6  All of us were like sheep that were lost, each of us going his own way. But the LORD made the punishment fall on him, the punishment all of us deserved.
7  "He was treated harshly, but endured it humbly; he never said a word. Like a lamb about to be slaughtered, like a sheep about to be sheared, he never said a word.
8  He was arrested and sentenced and led off to die, and no one cared about his fate. He was put to death for the sins of our people.
9  He was placed in a grave with those who are evil, he was buried with the rich, even though he had never committed a crime or ever told a lie."
10  The LORD says, "It was my will that he should suffer; his death was a sacrifice to bring forgiveness. And so he will see his descendants; he will live a long life, and through him my purpose will succeed.
11  After a life of suffering, he will again have joy; he will know that he did not suffer in vain. My devoted servant, with whom I am pleased, will bear the punishment of many and for his sake I will forgive them.
12  And so I will give him a place of honor, a place among the great and powerful. He willingly gave his life and shared the fate of evil men. He took the place of many sinners and prayed that they might be forgiven."

george. :)

EKnight

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »

Isa 53: 1-12 (GNB)
1  The people reply, "Who would have believed what we now report? Who could have seen the LORD's hand in this?
2  It was the will of the LORD that his servant grow like a plant taking root in dry ground. He had no dignity or beauty to make us take notice of him. There was nothing attractive about him, nothing that would draw us to him.
3  We despised him and rejected him; he endured suffering and pain. No one would even look at him--- we ignored him as if he were nothing.
4  "But he endured the suffering that should have been ours, the pain that we should have borne. All the while we thought that his suffering was punishment sent by God.
5  But because of our sins he was wounded, beaten because of the evil we did. We are healed by the punishment he suffered, made whole by the blows he received.
6  All of us were like sheep that were lost, each of us going his own way. But the LORD made the punishment fall on him, the punishment all of us deserved.
7  "He was treated harshly, but endured it humbly; he never said a word. Like a lamb about to be slaughtered, like a sheep about to be sheared, he never said a word.
8  He was arrested and sentenced and led off to die, and no one cared about his fate. He was put to death for the sins of our people.
9  He was placed in a grave with those who are evil, he was buried with the rich, even though he had never committed a crime or ever told a lie."
10  The LORD says, "It was my will that he should suffer; his death was a sacrifice to bring forgiveness. And so he will see his descendants; he will live a long life, and through him my purpose will succeed.
11  After a life of suffering, he will again have joy; he will know that he did not suffer in vain. My devoted servant, with whom I am pleased, will bear the punishment of many and for his sake I will forgive them.
12  And so I will give him a place of honor, a place among the great and powerful. He willingly gave his life and shared the fate of evil men. He took the place of many sinners and prayed that they might be forgiven."

Wow George, this is all encompassing isn't it.  It's all there! Everything we need to know.

Eileen

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 12:38:21 PM »

..there are two groups of people to be judged: (1) The whole world in the day of judging (Acts 17:31), and (2) The house of God NOW (1 Pet. 4 : 17 & 1 Cor. 11:32) http://bible-truths.com/lake5.html

These are two different groups-(Believers and (2)NON-believers. ....It is absolutely clear and irrefutable that the believers of 1 Tim 4:10 are saved in a special way, that is, they are saved before the rest of humanity, and they are given the gift of eonian (age-abiding) life reigning with Christ in the Kingdom of God, ages before the rest of humanity are saved. Only those called and chosen NOW will EVER reign and rule and bring salvation to the rest of the world and to the universe - THIS is a special gift of God to believers being called in this age ONLY. .....

There are two administrations of God's purging fire: The first is on the House of God consisting of those whom God is calling to be overcomers and sons of God. The second will be at the second resurrection and white throne judgment.....
http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

Arc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.