bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: What does "It is humbling!" mean?  (Read 7723 times)

mhykx

Question: What does "It is humbling!" mean?
« on: March 20, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »

In the third part of Myth of Freewill, Rays wrote,

"I have no problem in justifying God in all of His doings, even though I personally am overwhelmed at times over the magnitude of pain and evil that God has subjected us to. It is humbling!"

Why do the pain and evil God subjected to mankind humble us?
How is someone humbled?

-Mike

aqrinc

Re: Question: What does "It is humbling!" mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:14 AM »

When one finally realizes that we are ultimately powerless to do anything about our own condition; then we are learning how to be humble. Why, because we finally see that of our ownself, we are nothing.

Don't worry, if you have never been there, you will; then you will be humbled.

george. :)

mhykx

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »

After reading the 4th part of the Myth of Freewill, I understand now what Ray meant when he said, "...the magnitude of pain and evil that God has subjected us to. It is humbling!"

George, thanks for your insight anyway.  I appreciate it.

-Mike

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »

Hi Mike.  I love your questions.   :)  They tend to hurl me into the Word in a good way.

Literally, 'to be humbled' means to be made humble.

Phillippians 2:5-8  CLV.  For let this disposition (attitude) be in you which is in Christ Jesus also; Who, being inherently in the form of God, deems it not pillaging to be equal with God, nevertheless (but) empties Himself, taking the form of a slave, coming to be in the likeness of humanity.  And, being found in fashion as a human, He Humbles Himself, becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Think about that.  Christ Humbled Himself becoming obedient to death...not just any death, but the death of the cross.  What are we to do?  Take up our cross and follow Him.  If we follow Him, what did He do with HIS cross?  He obeyed the Father and died.  How did He die?  He humbled Himself to death.  Nobody killed him.  He didn't die of some disease.  He wasn't struck by lightening.  He died by the cross, on the cross.

Do we have some sense that for HIM to take up His cross meant one thing, but for us it means something different?  Do we still think that OUR cross is designed to make us strong, like some sort of spiritual excercise or weight-lifting?  I don't think so.  The cross, over time, saps strength and leads to death.  While we think we have strength, we are not exactly following Christ.  If we think taking up the cross is meant to build strength, I think we're wrong.

Keep reading in Phillipians 2 and see how we can follow Christ through humility and obedience into ressurection and glory.  

Vs 12-13 So that, my beloved, according as you always obey, not in my presence only, but now much rather in my absence, with fear and trembling (signs of true humility) be carrying your own salvation into effect, for it is God Who is operating in you to will as well as to work for the sake of His delight.

It's God's work to cause us to will, and God's work to cause us to work, and both are for His sake.  

vs. 9-11  Wherefore, also, God Highly exalt Him (Christ) and graces Him with a name that is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should be bowing, celestial and terrestrial and subterranean, and every tongue should be acclaiming that Jesus Christ is Lord, for the glory of God, the Father.  

And there it is again...whether we live or die, are humbled or glorified, it is all of and by God for the Glory of God, for His sake, and for His delight.

When we really, REALLY know that, we're humbled.  Humbled to death.  Just like the cross, though, it can take a while.  And THAT is a humbling thought.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:57:26 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Samson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »

When one finally realizes that we are ultimately powerless to do anything about our own condition; then we are learning how to be humble. Why, because we finally see that of our ownself, we are nothing.

Don't worry, if you have never been there, you will; then you will be humbled.

Good Question by Mike and Good Answer from George,

I like the way George says " finally realizes that we are ultimately powerless to do anything about our own
condition." Most of Mankind never comes to that realization, expressed by George and will not gain Eonian
Life or the Life of the Age, only the Elect will.

Our Carnal Mind desires to want the power to stop our suffering and pain, because it doesn't feel good to
our flesh to suffer, but only God has the power to do something about it. At any rate, thanks for the
reminder, George.

Kind Regards, Samson.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:54:00 PM by Samson »

dogcombat

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »

I posted thisquote in another thread in the Testimonies..section.  The hard truth is this. 

We are not HUMBLE, until we've been HUMBLED.[/color

Humility, like repentance, and other Spiritual gifts, comes via the trials and tribulations we must endure in this life.  We must know the depths of evil, before we are shown the depth of Good.  (remember "there's NONE that does good" nor is there any way to do good on our own understanding)  All of whom our Lord loves he CHASTENS AND SCOURGES,  only through such chastenings, can one be HUMBLED into living God's Truths.  Think of this process as "slow cooking".   If you've ever dined on slow cooked food you appreciate how well it tasted after wards.  Thus our God being an "all consuming fire" burns out our lust for what's bad for us in order to feast upon what's good for us. 

May God enable you further
Ches   

aqrinc

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »

The book of Job is very instructive if we want to learn how to think of ourselves. Yes we have great
promises of power and Immortality, but before any of that come learning and humbling. Why humbling,
because without true humility; humanity cannot be entrusted with such Great Power and Might.

Job 38: 1-12 (GNB)
1  Then out of the storm the LORD spoke to Job.
2  Who are you to question my wisdom with your ignorant, empty words?
3  Now stand up straight and answer the questions I ask you.
4  Were you there when I made the world? If you know so much, tell me about it.
5  Who decided how large it would be? Who stretched the measuring line over it? Do you know all the answers?
6  What holds up the pillars that support the earth? Who laid the cornerstone of the world?
7  In the dawn of that day the stars sang together, and the heavenly beings shouted for joy.
8  Who closed the gates to hold back the sea when it burst from the womb of the earth?
9  It was I who covered the sea with clouds and wrapped it in darkness.
10  I marked a boundary for the sea and kept it behind bolted gates.
11  I told it, "So far and no farther! Here your powerful waves must stop."
12  Job, have you ever in all your life commanded a day to dawn?

Job 38:13  Have you ordered the dawn to seize the earth and shake the wicked from their hiding places?

Job 38:17  Has anyone ever shown you the gates that guard the dark world of the dead?

Job 38:31  Can you tie the Pleiades together or loosen the bonds that hold Orion?

Job 40:8  Are you trying to prove that I am unjust--- to put me in the wrong and yourself in the right?

Job 40:15  Look at the monster Behemoth; I created him and I created you. He eats grass like a cow,

Job 41:1  Can you catch Leviathan with a fishhook or tie his tongue down with a rope?
Job 41:8  Touch him once and you'll never try it again; you'll never forget the fight!
Job 41:9  Anyone who sees Leviathan loses courage and falls to the ground.

Job 42: 1-6
1  Then Job answered the LORD.
2  I know, LORD, that you are all-powerful; that you can do everything you want.
3  You ask how I dare question your wisdom when I am so very ignorant. I talked about things I did not understand, about marvels too great for me to know.
4  You told me to listen while you spoke and to try to answer your questions.
5  In the past I knew only what others had told me, but now I have seen you with my own eyes.
6  So I am ashamed of all I have said and repent in dust and ashes.

george. ;D

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »

It is such a long and slow process to come out of deception that we all suffer from.  Deception seem like an onion where the Lord peels away one layer and then you find another one even deeper yet.  I was listening today to Ray's talk on 'guilty of all' and if someone hasn't heard it recently it's a good teaching.  Whats humbling to me is knowing that truly I am no better than the lowest murderer or child molester.  I have the 'old man' Adam within me and being in Adam I'm as guilty as they are for the crimes they have committed.  If we sin in one area then we are truly guilty of all and except for the grace of God I could of committed any of the worse crimes of humanity.  I'm no better than Saddam or Hitler and indeed I could of been either of these men except for the grace of God.

For so much of my life it's been struggling with this, that or the other thing.  Trying to make myself better, trying to make myself more spiritual....I gotta pray more, I gotta study more, I gotta give more, ect.  Yet no matter what I do if it isn't God's time or if God hasn't chosen me then it's all in vain.  So often in our Christian walk we think that our destiny is in our own hands and we need to try harder and do more.  The reality hits that when the Lord said without him we could do nothing and he meant exactly what he said.  I'm finally starting to understand that.  If He's not in it and in me then it isn't going to happen and that is very humbling to a man such as myself who for the majority of my life lived by the adage 'if you want something done right then do it yourself'.  Humbing indeed....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:38:48 PM by Arion »

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »

Arion,

That is the beginning of humility, i was even better at it than you (self sufficient); until GOD Through that and many other audios and papers from Ray nailed me. Since learning the abysmal depth of my condition it is with real humility that i talk, think and act daily.

Now that humility is from GOD and not mine, in myself i can still do incredible evil if left alone for a minute. You speak well, when you say: without GOD; i, you, all the Creation is nothing, even less than dust.

Below are three Scriptures that also should humble us; we today are able to understand these things.
[/b]

Psa 22:27 
All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

Jer 51:15 
He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heaven by his understanding.

Mat 13: 34-35
34  All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
35  That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Q

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:50:20 AM »

God will provide.

No mater how much you think you can,,, guess what,, ding ur done...

Your crown is not earned nor can it be gained, its a gift..... it is given to those with eyes and ears.

You want something you ask.
When in your mind you think its you, satan has you.
To be first You must be last.

We are on this earth to learn
You wanna stop something,, PRAY, because ... wow

Its a gift and when you pray its Gods way of telling you whats going to be.

Keep praying

Q

mhykx

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »

Hi guys,

Ray wrote in part D of Myth of Freewill,

[Let me assure my readers that I do not make light of the profound heartache, pain, and misery that God inflicts upon humanity. I am not a newcomer, nor a novice to the arena of heartache, pain, and misery. I have on numerous occasions suffered very severe pain. I have been "one knock from death's door" more than once. I have lost my only son when he was but seven years old. Although I can justify God in all His dealings with His creatures, yet I cringe at many of the atrocities deemed necessary for His plan and purpose. Do you think that I am able to take in stride the cruel and evil beheadings by terrorists in Iraq?

"We read that, "Jesus wept" as He perceived the near-at-hand destruction of Jerusalem. And yet He fully knew that it was all of God His Father, and at the appointed time Jerusalem and its citizens would be starved, tortured, and utterly destroyed by the armies of Titus. I too weep over the present evils of this world and those yet impending.]

I have my own shares of experience of evil.  God subjected me, on a personal scale, to a failed relationship, witnessed the evil of disease that strucked my father and his eventual death, etc.  On a national scale, the evil of earthquake / christians and muslim conflict / fire that claimed many lives of my countrymen, the sad reality of starving children, poor health condition of a number of babies, etc.  I can't help but to cry sometimes.

The heartaches, tragedies, misfortunes, etc should truly humble us.  ALL OF US cannot do anything good to change the course of anyone's lives unless God has planned so.  We are helpless.  We are indeed nothing but clay in the hands of the great Potter.  God Almighty holds our furture.  By His mercy and grace alone we live and breathe.

Marlene

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 04:03:30 AM »

Hi Just reading all this I am humbled.  I don't like to turn on the TV much. You , hear things that break your heart. Right, before coming in here God humbled me good. I had a sin in my life that I know , only God could have delivered me from. Little, did I know by this repentance and humbling that he was going to open my eyes and give me ears to hear. I knew, then that this was a great blessing. He gives us victory over sin, understanding of his truths and anything good or bad when he wants. It is not when we want it.

I did not know I was blind till then. I did not realize that I was trying to do things in my own power that I didn't even have. It humbles me just to know if God does not will it , I will not have it.

I tremble and pray to him, keep me humble lord, help me to stay on the right path. I cannot do it without you.

I too have had many trials in my life. I deal with physical pain every day, fight diabetes and other Health problems. Some days, when I think I can take no more he shows me he is able to hold me up. Without, him I would fall. My Husband and I have always had to trust God for our needs most of our married life of 30 years. Never, being wealthy, but having what we need . Some things we do not need. Counting them all blessings. Thankful he choose not to make us wealthy with money. That, can certainly become a trap for us. So, many trials it would take so long to tell.

I love these verses  Romans Chapter 9 verse `16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
II Corinthians Chapter 4  Verse 6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
verse 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
verse 8 We are troubled on ever side yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair
verse 9 Persecuted, but not forsaken;cast down, but not destroyed.
verse 10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
Romans Chapter 8 verse 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulations, or distress, or presecution or famine, or nakeness, or peril, or sword.
This verse really comforts me and keeps me humble cause I know who keeps me and guides me.
Romans  Chapter 8 verse 37 Nay, in all these things we  are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
verse 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life nor angels nor principalities , nor powers, nor things present , nor things to come.
verse 39 Nor height, nor depth nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
This is our comfort, that world does not know of. When, storms hit they fall to pieces.
But, our Lord carries us through them. I am humbled by all those storms.
His Anchor Holds.

In His Love,
Marlene

judith collier

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 07:33:36 AM »

Marlene, beautiful. Judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.