bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystries in Ruth  (Read 14829 times)

Beloved

Mystries in Ruth
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

I have been studying Ruth and it is such a fascinating book that is a parable with so many levels of revelations. 

It ties in to many of the topics that I have been reading on the forum board.
For instance there are always questions on the board about the Fathers's will. We in the earthy flesh are often confused and frustrated when things happen...we often do not want to accept the fact that He is in the One charge of All things.

On the surface this Book seems like a pretty straight forward "Cinderella like " story...but is it?

(Rth 1:1)  Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehem-judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
(Rth 1:2)  And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehem-judah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
(Rth 1:3) And Elimelech Naomi's husband died; and she was left, and her two sons.
(Rth 1:4)  And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.

To start Ruth follows the Book Judges, Samuel probably wrote thus story, it is the introduction of the Davidic line.  In Judges it demonstrates the ever increasing failure of man, in spite of all of the intervention and help of God. It ends with them almost wiping out the benjamites after a rather gory incident with a concubine  The Book of Ruth is a contrast and it presents the activities of the grace of God, in spite of the failure of a family and ends with a scene of joy and blessing and hope.

The first question unanswered is why did Elimech and Naomi take their two sons , and leave their parcel of land and go to Moab? 

What was the "monster job board" back then that beckoned them.  They were leaving their home and safety , culture etc and going elsewhere to seek their "fortune".     Does this sound like anyone you know?

Then their sons marry into the Moabs, the very people the Law says

Deu 23:3  An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD forever:

No wonder He calls Israel ....stiff necked.... like us when we left our first love and Israel when they sought after other gods...

But can you see that God has everything planned and he shows this over and over in His Word.

This life thread goes back to Lot

(Gen 19:15)  And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
(Gen 19:16)  And while he loitered, the men took hold of his hand, and his wife's hand, and the hands of his two daughters, יהוה having compassion on him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.

After being rescued what was left of the family thought all were gone and decided to reenact the Garden ruke and go forth and multiply.... and they did and occupied the land.

Gen 19:37  And the firstborn bore a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day

430 years later when Moses comes back into the promised land :

(Deu 2:9)  And the LORD said unto me, Distress not the Moabites, neither contend with them in battle: for I will not give thee of their land for a possession; because I have given Ar unto the children of Lot for a possession.

Num 21:29  Woe to thee, Moab! thou art undone, O people of Chemosh: he hath given his sons that escaped, and his daughters, into captivity unto Sihon king of the Amorites.  He is not going to let them go on much longer, their god Chemosh will be a thorn for Israel

You see ......God was providing for .......the birth of Ruth.

On one level in the story Naomi represent backslidden Israel, on another level she represents the MANY.    Ruth represents the FEW.

So here are some questions on the above  (there are so many other questions also)

Can we wee the Elimeleck and Naomi in us?
In how many ways were we "a stranger" to the Father?
Do the Names play any role?

With this in mind what other parables do you see in this story. I hope you will read this short book and can make comments here

This is one of my favorite verses and summarizes the above.

(Jer 29:11) ‘For I know the plans I am planning for you, declares  יהוה , ‘plans of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and an expectancy.

Beloved

aqrinc

Re: Mystries in Ruth
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »

Oh Beloved,

I was just getting ready to take a deep breath, now that is gone. I have read The Book of Ruth
several times, and seen much of what you write about here. Noami and Elimelech as representing
Israel, Gentiles and Salvation for All is running throughout this Book.

Later today i will go back and find my notes, this is a great topic for this weekend i think.

Rth 2: 11-15 (GNB)
11  Boaz answered, "I have heard about everything that you have done for your mother-in-law since your husband died. I know how you left your father and mother and your own country and how you came to live among a people you had never known before.

12  May the LORD reward you for what you have done. May you have a full reward from the LORD God of Israel, to whom you have come for protection!"

13  Ruth answered, "You are very kind to me, sir. You have made me feel better by speaking gently to me, even though I am not the equal of one of your servants."

14  At mealtime Boaz said to Ruth, "Come and have a piece of bread, and dip it in the sauce." So she sat with the workers, and Boaz passed some roasted grain to her. She ate until she was satisfied, and she still had some food left over.

15  After she had left to go and gather grain, Boaz ordered the workers, "Let her gather grain even where the bundles are lying, and don't say anything to stop her. Besides that, pull out some heads of grain from the bundles and leave them for her to pick up."

george. :)

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »

Ruth Chapter 1

v11  And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me?
[Naomi returning to Judah after death of her husband, Elimelech]

v12-13  ...Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband...if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons; Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? [Naomi's daughters in law, Orpah & Ruth, wanting to go with Naomi back to Judah...but as Naomi notes, she has no husband and no sons for them to marry so there would be no purpose for them to go with her]

v14-15  And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her. And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law. [Orpah has chosen to kiss her mother in law goodbye and return to Moab in all it's idolatry...but Ruth 'cleaves' to Naomi; Naomi notes that Orpah returned to Moab so Ruth should do the same]

v16-19  And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and THY GOD MY GOD: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me. When she [Naomi] saw that she [Ruth] was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her. So they two went until they came to Bethlehem.

Matt 10:38-39  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it [Orpah]: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. [Ruth]

Matt 19:29-30  And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life [like Ruth but unlike Orpah]. But many that are first shall be last [Orpah]; and the last shall be first. [Ruth]

Mark 8:35  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it [Orpah]; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. [Ruth]

Luke 17:33-36  Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it [Orpah]; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it [Ruth]. I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken [Ruth], and the other shall be left [Orpah]. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken [Ruth], and the other left [Orpah]. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken [Ruth], and the other left. [Orpah]

Like George said, a great topic.  :)

Marques

Kicking against the Goads

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »

Maybe I am oversimplifying this, but they left for Moab because there was a famine in the land.  I'm not sure of your premise that they were leaving safety in search of fortune.  It sounds like they were looking for food.  We don't know how old the sons were, but having hungry children would be horrible.  And of course God was behind the famine so I'm not sure we can say they were disobedient in leaving.  

The marrying part is more complicated...but I look forward to hearing more of those answers.  I also love learning how the scriptures are all one and I enjoyed your analysis of the many and the few.

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »

Kicking the Goads, yes you have it...my point exactly.  You caught the safety thing.

They owned land and they must have had possessions , did they sell them all so they could buy seeds and not starved. Did they finally run out of things? They had land and two sons to work it, others obviously made it through the famine. 

You are exactly right it was God who caused the famine and it was He who caused them to decide to leave...unlike Abram who was well fed and secure.  t Abram was directly told by God to leave and Abram obeyed.  Did you catch those  words.....a certain man in the opening verses....sound like he was hand picked by God for this sojourn.

Lets look at the all of the names
H458 אלימלך  'ĕlîymelek From H410 and H4428; God of (the) king; Elimelek,
Hitchcock   Elimelech  my God is king
H5281  נעמי no‛ŏmîy no-om-ee'  From H5278; pleasant; Naomi
Hitcock Naombeautiful; agreeable

Mahlon  infirmity; a harp; pardon  Ruth married the first born   Rth 4:10
Chilion  finished; complete; perfect  since Orpah is mentioned first she probable married the pretty one  ;D.

They both came with dowries, perhaps that is why they married these women .

They lived there 10 years so it does not sound like they had land or a business etc or much of anything even then since Naomi was willing to leave it all and send the women back to their mothers houses.

Ruth    drunk; satisfied Other source oint out that it is a contraction for re'uth perhaps signifying "comrade," "companion"

Orpah   the neck or skull    Her name is supposed to be derived from the Hebrew word for "neck" (`oreph), and so to mean "stiff-necked" because of her turning-back from following her mother-in-law; others take it to mean "gazelle."

Do not know if this is tue or urban legend but this was the name picked out by Oprah Winfreys mother and it got misspelled on the birth certificate.

Yes Marques your reference  show us that it was the piety and fidelity seen in Ruth in this narrative, she refused to abandon her mother-in-law, although three times she was exhorted to do so by Naomi herself. 

Naomi  was getting on in years and there were probably better prospects for Ruth in her own country. Orpah yielded to persuasion, and went back to Moab; but Ruth followed Naomi.  I will address more on your verses later

We are all Elimelecks and say God is my King but then we try to do things to make things go the way we want them not understanding that everything in our lives is making us make our decisions, the things we are taught and learn from parents and others all color our ideas, the thing that happen to us color our emotions and these all play a role in our behavior.

We all are Naomi, beautiful and agreeable until things turn sour then we are also quick to change our names to bitter and miserable.

Paul instructs  us   
(Php 4:12)  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
(Php 4:13)  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Proverbs also tells us this
(Pro 30:7)  Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die:
(Pro 30:8 )  Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
(Pro 30:9)  Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

I was just recently struck when I realized that the early believers only had the TENACH or Old testament to go by. The New testament or Brit Chesad can therefore be seen as the spiritual commentary to the TENACH.

Thanks for all of the comments so far this story is so full of milk and meat when you look at it closer.

I have to get my taxes done right now so I can render to Caesar what is Caesars  :P :P :P.

Beloved

Marlene

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

Hi, To me Ruth sets the true example of humbleness. She could have thought of herself instead of others. I pray ,that I will always put others first and myself last.

So, true Beloved, When, things get tough we get bitter or feel like giving up. But, we need to remember who is in charge and he knows what is best. For sure we can see ourself in this book of Ruth. Hopefully, we will see ourself being made into the Image of God.

When, I look back on my life I have seen many times my life would have been a disaster if I would be having my way. We need to learn who, gives us the good and the trials in our life is doing all for our best. Being content in the storms are truly hard to do.

Look how blessed Namoi  became from this selfless act of Ruths .
Ruth Chapter 4 verse 14 And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the Lord which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel
But in this verse 14 we see the hand of God in it all. Just, like his hand is in every life.  If, we give up self we will receive more spiritual blessings. Spiritual blessings that are more valuable then anything material in this world. Many sacrifice there inheritance for things that are not lasting. The few will live for the Spiritual Blessings. The kinsman who did not redeem Ruth sure lost out.

I can remember when we were reading the Bible in a year in church. People were complaining about the names. The names are important for sure. God did not put the names in there for no reason at all.  For sure Gods plan is the only plan that is going to happen. Now, after coming out of Babylon and reading the scriptures from OT show that God has a plan and he will accomplish his plan. Salvation For All the Bible is about life not death. Death will be destroyed. All Praise and Glory be to God!

In His Love,
Marlene

Beloved

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:27:22 PM »

Oh Marques did you hit on a powerful line

v14-15 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her. And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

You said Orpah has chosen to kiss her mother in law goodbye and return to Moab in all it's idolatry...but Ruth 'cleaves' to Naomi; Naomi notes that Orpah returned to Moab so Ruth should do the same]

Ray discusses touches on this in his paper http://bible-truths.com/kiss.htm

Like Orpah the church and world is ready to lament and kiss each other but they do this symbolically act of love only. The Many are self centered.

Ruth on the other hand showed true loving kindness. This whole book is a focus on loving kindess the three central figures show it with Ruth and Boaz being the prime examples.it     In Hebrew the word for this is Chesed

H2617 חסד chêsêd  kheh'-sedFrom H2616; kindness; by implication (towards God) piety; rarely (by opprobrium) reproof, or (subjectively) beauty: - favour, good deed (-liness, -ness), kindly, (loving-) kindness, merciful (kindness), mercy, pity, to cause reproach or shame.

Without the Chesed of God we would be in extreme state

(Lam 3:20)  My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me.
(Lam 3:21)  This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
(Lam 3:22)  It is of the LORD's mercies Chesed  that we are not consumed, because his compassions chesed   fail not.
(Lam 3:23)  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Not only is His total character loving (Chesed ) but he also makes sure that we remember that He is Loving  (Chesed)  How great is that!

(Psa 106:44)  Nevertheless he regarded their affliction, when he heard their cry:
(Psa 106:45)  And He remembered for them His covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies Chesed .

The world was made with Chesed
(Psa 89:1)   I will sing of the mercies  (Chesed )of the LORD forever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
(Psa 89:2)  For I have said, Mercy  (Chesed) shall be built up forever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

Every line in Pslam 136 ends with  For His Steadfast Love (CHESED) Endureth Forever

Psa 138:8  The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy steadfast love (Chesed), O LORD, endureth forever: forsake not the works of thine own hands

Jesus of course is the Chesed of God incarnate. He embodies the Chesed of God

Total unselfish Love is the end goal of on the road to perfection that Peter expoused. The few His elect will need to develope that quality

(2Pe 1:5)  But also [for] this very [reason], having applied all diligence, provide with your* faith moral excellence, and with moral excellence knowledge,

(2Pe 1:6)  and with knowledge self-control, and with self-control patient endurance, and with patient endurance godliness,

(2Pe 1:7)  and with godliness brotherly kindness [fig., affection for fellow-believers] (phileo), and with brotherly kindness  (phileo ),   (agape)tlove.

(2Pe 1:8)  For [if] these [qualities] belong to you* and [are] abounding [or, increasing], it makes [you*] neither useless nor unfruitful in regard to the full [or, true] knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And guess what is the greek word that is the equivalent....Grace

May we all be found in His House of Mercy (Bethesda)

Beloved
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:35:13 PM by Beloved »

Beloved

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »

Marlene you said

Look how blessed Namoi  became from this selfless act of Ruths .
Ruth Chapter 4 verse 14 And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the Lord which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel
But in this verse 14 we see the hand of God in it all. Just, like his hand is in every life.  If, we give up self we will receive more spiritual blessings. Spiritual blessings that are more valuable then anything material in this world. Many sacrifice there inheritance for things that are not lasting. The few will live for the Spiritual Blessings. The kinsman who did not redeem Ruth sure lost out.

You are exactly right ...Naomi was the one redeemed. The levirite marriage gave her back the family name and the land. I hope I and others will  be able elaborate more on this type of marriage and its significance. 

And yes even the rabbinic literature refers to the other kinsman as Tov or Peloni Amoni (John Doe) they also see him as the one that lost out.

In a way he represents is a redeemer by Good Works rather than a Chesed kinsman redeemer. He had to have a good reason to do it.  He probably thought that he would also die like Mahlon did  Perhaps the story of tamar was still fresh in their minds. ...Boaz on the other hand was willing to take that chance. A willing sacrifice.

Beloved

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »

To take this to another angle consider the following:

Matt 10 : 34-35 Do not think that I come to bring peace ON EARTH. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. I come to DISSEVER a man from his father, and a daughter from her mother, and a daughter-in-law from her mother-in-law.

Note Christ DISSEVERs 1369 to make apart ie sunder (figurative alienate): set at varience. Ref Strongs.

This setting at varience is between carnal traditional unions of the flesh and not between the man and wifes spiritual bonds. Ie God floggs His children not His Bride.

Arc

Beloved

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »

Debrah It looks to me that you may be taking a verse and using it out of context. If you are implying that Ruth did not receive chastisement, read the verses carefully.

She married and her husband dies
She received a pretty good grilling and almost a rejection from Naomi
Naomi may not have very pleasant to live with
She left all and arrived in Bethlehem poor and destitute.
She had to submit herself to gleaning the fields
She had to take a huge risk and undergo an ordeal at midnight...with Boaz

While on earth WE ARE ALL Children (tecknon)  of GOD ...the bride is a heavenly state it is not achieved in the physical.

Ruth and Naomi's first blessing came because they arrived at the time of the Barley and Wheat harvest....it was an opportunity to obtain food because God had laid down rules for his people to assist the poor...the mitzvah of gleaning is Divine Providence in action.

I do not know how these verse tie into this discussion
(Mat 10:34)  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
(Mat 10:35)  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

It has a match in Luke

(Luke 12:51)  Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
(Luke 12:52)  For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
(Luke 12:53)  The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

These verses preceded the above

(Luke 12:49)  I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
(Luke 12:50)  But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

Ruth  appears to have cleaved to Naomi but she was actually cleaving to the Promises of God that she saw and heard. She was willing to leave ALL of her family and culture to find it...she was taking the first step toward buying her pearl of great price.

She was blessed in the physical and became a levirite bride and bore a son that made her the great grandmother of David and better yet became one in the physical lineage of the Messiah and also received the promise of a spiritual  lineage.

God is not talking about division for division sake, he does not want spiritual division.....

(1Pe 3:8)  Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

beloved

Ninny

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »

Beloved,
While reading the last part of your statement:

Ruth  appears to have cleaved to Naomi but she was actually cleaving to the Promises of God that she saw and heard. She was willing to leave ALL of her family and culture to find it...she was taking the first step toward buying her pearl of great price.

This is the same as when we begin to learn the truths of God. Even when we first gave our lives to Christ even when in the Church people and even some family soon began to reject us because we started to turn away from what we had known. Now that we have found the next step, this step into Bible Truths we will once again turn away from what we knew before and cling to the truth! OUR pearl of great price! The more truth you acquire the more out of step with mainstream Christianity you become. This is really leaving family and culture behind!
I had never thought of the Book of Ruth in this way before, thanks for bringing this up!
Kathy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »

Hi Carol

The OT is written for our admonition. Admonition  = Strong's 3559 Mild rebuke or warning.

The "Chosen" live by the New Covenant: The "Called" try to live by the New and the Old Covenants. They have never learned this simple lesson: "No servant can serve TWO masters…" (Luke 16:13). The two covenants are not even in "according" with one another—they are not to be "unequally yoked together," seeing that they are not equal. http:;;bible-truths.com/lake11html

ALL of the men and women of faith, the fathers, the patriarchs, and prophets are DEAD.

ALL of them died "looking for a country & home afar off," which they never received.

ALL these received a "good report," but they received NO PROMISES.

ALL these "desired a heavenly" home, but they NEVER RECEIVED IT.

ALL these will remain dead until WE are given OUR promises.

OUR promise is better: "God having provided some BETTER THING FOR US."

WE are to become "perfect" Col. 4:12; Eph. 4:13; Gal. 3:3; Phil. 3:15; Col. 1:28; etc,

WE are to become "perfect" BEFORE the saints of old; BEFORE Moses & Elijah.

THEY are not only made perfect AFTER us, but are made perfect THROUGH US!
http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

My point is to clarify the two groups in resurrection which I see is illustrated by what Christ taught us concerning our familial ties as I observed in my post when I quoted 

Matt 10 : 34-35 Do not think that I come to bring peace ON EARTH. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. I come to DISSEVER a man from his father, and a daughter from her mother, and a daughter-in-law from her mother-in-law.

You say quote "Ruth  appears to have cleaved to Naomi but she was actually cleaving to the Promises of God  that she saw and heard. She was willing to leave ALL of her family and culture

Instead of saying she was WILLING might it be better to say she was CAUSED by God don't you think?

As Ray writes in http://bible-truths.com/lake11.html Law is good, but grace and truth is better.

Grace and Truth is God judging us and making us do and become what we cannot do or become on our own.

Arc

Beloved

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »

I thought that I made this clear in my whole premise when I started this post and outlined the physical apsects of this story was that
                God was and is ......in control of everything. 

Of course God caused her to make a decision to leave all... I do not see where I indicated anything else. He made all the circumstances in her life that were needed so she would be willing to leave all....is that better?

You say that
The OT is written for our admonition. Admonition  = Strong's 3559 Mild rebuke or warning

All scripture is for our admonition.

Is this reference to the OT because you are disturbed because of all the hebrew references/words or terminolgy that I have used in my posts? 

beloved

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »

Ray teaches on the Wave Sheaf, First Fruits and Feast of Tabernacles which are HEBREW references. Ray writes :There is a beautiful type in the Old Testament that clearly demonstrates when and in what manner all these Unsaved masses will be saved. This Old Testament type is illustrated all through the New Testament, but the blind and unperceiving eyes of Christendom have for the most part failed to see it, believe it, or teach it.http://bible-truths.com/lake4.html

All Scripture is NOT for our admonition. All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16

This discussion is getting off the subject so I am getting off the Tread. :)

Arcturus
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:33:51 PM by Arcturus »

mharrell08

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »

All Scripture is NOT for our admonition. All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16

This discussion is getting off the subject so I am getting off the Tread. :)

Arcturus,

I'm sorry, but that statement is contradicted by the very scripture you posted. Like Beloved points out, admonition means: 'rebuke or warning' similar to 'reproof' as well as 'correction' which is the purpose of the 'warning'. The purpose for admonition is to warn us so that we can be corrected and used for 'instruction in righteousness'.

But I do agree with this thread veering off-course...hopefully we can get back to the subject at hand.  :)

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »

Hello Marques

All Scripture is NOT for our admonition means that SOME Scripture is for instruction in righteousness.

Isaiah 26 : 9 ...for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

To quote Ray:

This is an absolutely marvelous teaching. God "judges" us by "chastening "(paideuo) us, which means, teaching, training, learning, disciplining, punishing, instructing, and educating. And God "graces" us also by this same "chastening" (paideuo) which does not change meaning from one Scripture verse to another. Notice how other translations render this word paideuo in Titus 2:11-12:

"Teaching us..." King James

"Instructing us..." American Standard Version

"Disciplining us... New Testament (Henry Alford)

"And schooling us..." The Centenary Translation (Montgomery)

"Training us..." The New Testament in Modern Speech (Weymouth)

Now it is true that the Greek word paideuo #3811 can also mean "punishment." But punishment is not the main force of this word. Notice that none of the above translations (nor any that I know of) translate this word, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, PUNISHING us that denying ungodliness ..." No, the force of this word is to DISCIPLINE, TRAIN, INSTRUCT, SCHOOL AND TEACH.
http://bible-truths.com/lake3.html

Marques
Beloved points out, admonition means: 'rebuke or warning' similar to 'reproof' as well as 'correction' which is the purpose of the 'warning'. The purpose for admonition is to warn us so that we can be corrected and used for 'instruction in righteousness'.
Where did Beloved point that out? I missed that one.

I have been unwillingly CAUSED to answer your post mharrell08 for the sake of not being disrespectful.

Arc

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:36:57 PM by Arcturus »

aqrinc

Re: Mysteries in Ruth
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »

Particular attention to Chapter 4, but the whole story is on one of Genealogy of: The Man Jesus Christ, Redemption of All, Including the Gentiles in the Promise, Inheritance rights, acting in faith. It is not just what ties directly to The Book of Ruth; but to the Scriptures as a whole.

Ray stresses over and over on this point; It Is All One. Whenever we start seeing more than one we know (we are wrong) so then back to the Scriptures to find where we fell off the track. The book Of Ruth ties in with The Pearl Of Great Price and Buying the whole field (parables); another preview of Redemption and Salvation In Jesus Christ.

Inheritance rights in a contract, must be properly witnessed and sealed for legal transfer.

Rth 4: 7-8 (GW)
7  (This is the way it used to be in Israel concerning buying back property and exchanging goods: In order to make every matter legal, a man would take off his sandal and give it to the other man. This was the way a contract was publicly approved in Israel.)
8  So when the man said to Boaz, "Buy it for yourself," he took off his sandal.

Proper description of the property also must be noted and witnessed.

Rth 4: 9-12 (GW)
9  Then Boaz said to the leaders and to all the people, "Today you are witnesses that I have bought from Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech and all that belonged to Chilion and Mahlon.
10  In addition, I have bought as my wife the Moabite Ruth, Mahlon's widow, to keep the inheritance in the dead man's name. In this way the dead man's name will not be cut off from his relatives or from the public records. Today you are witnesses."
11  All the people who were at the gate, including the leaders, said, "We are witnesses. May the LORD make this wife, who is coming into your home, like Rachel and Leah, both of whom built our family of Israel. So show your strength of character in Ephrathah and make a name for yourself in Bethlehem.
12  Also, from the descendant whom the LORD will give you from this young woman, may your family become like the family of Perez, the son whom Tamar gave birth to for Judah."

How it all ties into our Saviour Lord And King Jesus Christ; Root of Jesse, Son Of David.

Rth 4: 13-17 (GW)
13  Then Boaz took Ruth home, and she became his wife. He slept with her, and the LORD gave her the ability to become pregnant. So she gave birth to a son.
14  The women said to Naomi, "Praise the LORD, who has remembered today to give you someone who will take care of you. The child's name will be famous in Israel.
15  He will bring you a new life and support you in your old age. Your daughter-in-law who loves you is better to you than seven sons, because she has given birth."
16  Naomi took the child, held him on her lap, and became his guardian.
17  The women in the neighborhood said, "Naomi has a son." So they gave him the name Obed. He became the father of Jesse, who was the father of David.

Quote from 12 truths:
God’s truths are like treasures hidden in a field. We must buy the field and then diligently search out the treasure.

TWELVE GOD-GIVEN TRUTHS TO UNDERSTAND HIS WORD

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

"None of the wicked shall understand; but the Wise shall understand" (Daniel 12:10)

In this paper I'm going to briefly outline just twelve truths of Scripture from many that God has shown me over the years. I try to apply these truths to all subjects that I write about. More than just truths, I look upon them as spiritual commandments from God, absolutely necessary in rightly dividing the Word of Truth. My hope and my prayer is that God will grace you with a spirit of wisdom to comprehend these marvelous revelations of Scripture.

I have received countless emails over the years in which my detractors inform me that the Scriptures are easy to understand: all one has to do is read them.

That’s not true. Billions of Christians "read" the Scriptures, but have not a clue as to what they mean. And one of the biggest problems in not understanding what they have read is that they do not believe the Scriptures. And why don’t they believe? Because their shepherds have deceived them into believing that Christian doctrines take precedent over the Scriptures.

I know of not one Christian doctrine that is completely Scriptural. Not one. And that includes, SDA’s, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science, and every other institutionalized church and denomination of manmade creeds. These truths that I am presenting here are "creed busters." They destroy the doctrines of men. They make the wisdom of religion look incredibly stupid. God’s truths are like treasures hidden in a field. We must buy the field and then diligently search out the treasure. The following twelve truths of Scripture could make you very spiritually wealthy.

george. ;D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:20:44 PM by aqr »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

To clarify for the Forum

I do not unwillingly respect any Moderator here. I highly respect and value their appointments and am cognisant of the responsibility and accountability that such an appointment affords.
Neither do I unwillingly contribute to any Thread. I am UNWILLING and prefere not to be part of any  contention or debate.

I agree we have to search George. Also that :
....no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation 2 Peter 1:20 http://bible-trutyhs.com/lake5.html

Arc

mharrell08

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »

Marques
Beloved points out, admonition means: 'rebuke or warning' similar to 'reproof' as well as 'correction' which is the purpose of the 'warning'. The purpose for admonition is to warn us so that we can be corrected and used for 'instruction in righteousness'.
Where did Beloved point that out? I missed that one.

I have been unwillingly CAUSED to answer your post mharrell08 for the sake of not being disrespectful.

Arc

Here is where Beloved stated such (reply #12):

You say that
The OT is written for our admonition. Admonition  = Strong's 3559 Mild rebuke or warning

All scripture is for our admonition.

Hello Marques

All Scripture is NOT for our admonition means that SOME Scripture is for instruction in righteousness.

Isaiah 26 : 9 ...for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

The scripture states: 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness' [2 Tim 3:16]

That statement that 'some scripture is for instruction in righteousness' is not true...all scripture is for doctrine, all scripture is for reproof, all scripture is for correction, all scripture is for instruction in righteousness...whether they speak of only the just or unjust the other is always in view. Similar to the parables...sometimes they emphasis the Elect, other times the wicked...but the other is always in view.

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »

That's sweet Marques. Beloved was quoting me.

I was trying to explain that not all Scripture is for Admonition, rebuke, punishment etc. I did not explain well enough.

Arc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.